Σ’ έχω κάνει Θεό-I’ve made you a god, by Katerina Stanisi

Thread: Σ’ έχω κάνει Θεό-I’ve made you a god, by Katerina Stanisi

Tags: None

BleakHeart said:

Default Σ’ έχω κάνει Θεό-I’ve made you a god, by Katerina Stanisi

Like I have said before, everyone hides a “dog” within, and at some point, when everything else fails, there comes a moment when that dog has to be unleashed… I guess it’s time for me now… να βγάλω το σκυλί από μέσα μου…

I tried to stick to the rhythm, a free translation, so it was not particularly difficult, but I won’t be the judge of that.

Σ' έχω κάνει θεό-I have deify you

Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω σε τι σφάλμα έχω πέσει
    I can’t figure out, what error I’ve committed
    και δεν βρίσκει η καρδιά σου τρόπο να με συγχωρέσει
    and your heart cannot manage to forgive me
    Δεν μπορώ να εξηγήσω τι κακό σου έχω κάνει
    I cannot unriddle how I’ve harmed you twice
    και για να γυρίσεις πίσω, η αγάπη μου δεν φτάνει
    and for you to return… my love will not suffice

x3
    Σ' έχω κάνει θεό μια φορά να σε δω
    I’ve deify you-to see you only once
    να σου πω σ' αγαπώ γύρνα πίσω
    to say I love you, return at a glance
    μα με διώχνεις πριν καν σου μιλήσω
    But you expel me before I speak even…
    Σ' έχω κάνει θεό...
    I've made you my God...

Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω τι δεν έκανα για σένα
    I can’t figure out what I haven’t done for you
    και τα βλέπεις πια κοντά μου όλα ίδια όλα ξένα
    and you regard it all as same, as foreign
    Δεν μπορώ να εξηγήσω τι κακό σου έχω κάνει
    I cannot unriddle how I’ve harmed you twice
    και για να γυρίσεις πίσω, η αγάπη μου δεν φτάνει
    and for you to return… my love will not suffice

να σου πω σ' αγαπώ γύρνα πίσω
    to say I love you, return at a glance
    μα με διώχνεις πριν καν σου μιλήσω
    But you expel me before I speak even…
    Σ' έχω κάνει θεό...
    I've made you my God...

This song has been translated before, I know. But I just felt like making a version of my own…

It’s best performed by Stanisi, she is just resistless, but hey…! Since I’m a guy, I‘ll post a video by Mazonakis, who too has sung it. After all, it’s addressed to a woman AFAIC. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxnuSPcWDto

Best regards,

Alexander
    Last edited by BleakHeart; 09-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    "I have fear for nothing and I have hope for nothing, I am, therefore, free."

Nikos Kazantzakis

geomac said:

A quite nice song. I like the version sang by Stanisi. To me, Stanisi shows here at least twice as many feelings as Mazonakis .

As for to whom is dedicated firstly this song, I think it is to a woman since I've found this:

Στίχοι: Φώντας Θεοδώρου
    Μουσική: Πάνος Καπίρης

BleakHeart said:

Good morning,

I absolutely agree with the feelings part, I too prefer the performance by Stanisi. Usually the original performance is far better than any other performance on a later time, perhaps because the listener gets too accustomed to a particular voice which he/she has "connected" with that particular song.

A good example of this is the performance by Antonis Remos of "Filaraki" by Sophia Vossou, which personally I consider a miserable failure (some people like it though).

Original performance by Vossou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEOQFuxMKT0

Abomination by Remos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EthC969Xjz4

On the other hand, I think it's irrelevant by who the song was originally written, that is, whether it was a man or a woman lyrivs writer, but instead, who the song was written for. Nearly all the songs of Despoina Vandi have been composed by Phivos, a man. But this does not mean that they are dedicated to women. Additionally, I wrote AFAIC (As Far As I Am Concerned), exactly because I dedicate it to a woman.

Best regards,

Alexander.
    Last edited by BleakHeart; 09-27-2009 at 10:51 PM.
    "I have fear for nothing and I have hope for nothing, I am, therefore, free."

Nikos Kazantzakis

geomac said:

Hi!

I agree with you but still I'm not sure about if the quality of original version of the songs are far surpassing the covers. There are many cover songs who had more succes than original version (here I'm speaking abiout music in general, not only greek music) . Overall, original versions are better but there are many exception from that. Anyway, as referring to your example, you're right.

I think a cover has more likely to be better than original when it is made into another age, when people are used to listen to another kind of music...

Here are a song in wich the original and the cover have the same value, to me (but they are great artists...)

original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4KYWzwaJOk
    cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIw3UChBgc

but this cover of the same song is not so good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk8eUt-QY-s
    -----------------------------

As about the second subject, the music can be felt by anybody, man or woman, so it doesn't matter to whom is dedicated first (it's only our choice, indeed).
    ---------------------
    btw,as a parallel to these two subjects from above, could ever people who are not greek feel greek music the same as greek people? ( I guess you would think not, as they are not original )
    Last edited by geomac; 09-28-2009 at 02:34 AM.

geomac said:

Here is a very good example (at least to me) for the superiority of a cover over the original ( Πρώτη εκτέλεση ) performance:

original (Πρώτη εκτέλεση): Κατερίνα Κούκα - Δεν υπάρχουν άγγελοι

cover (άλλη ερμηνεία):Ειρήνη Χαρίδου - Δεν υπάρχουν άγγελοι
    Last edited by geomac; 10-02-2009 at 11:47 AM.

6. dya said:

Hello! If I may say something, hope I'm not intruding

I like to follow your conversation and I agree with both of you but I would like to add something:

I believe this issue with original performance and covers also has to do with how we know the song. Cause, usually in covers, something is changed: orchestration, the way the new singer chooses to interpret some lines, the rhythm, etc. And if we liked and got accostumed to the original version then the second one will make us say:"What have you done to this song?! This is not how it goes, you got it wrong!"

BleakHeart, you used Vossou vs Remos as an example of a bad cover. I love Vossou's interpretation, I belive it is unique and I believe the song was made for her and she was made for this song I also like Remos' interpretation (don't scream!) but in my opinion, he sings a quite different song than Vossou. Of course I will always preffer Vossou, because it was her interpretation that I heard first, I got used to it, I loved it so whatever came next was just NOT the same song.

But on the other hand, first time I heard "Without you" was by Mariah Carey and I loved it. And I believe she sings this song very well. My mum, who has known and loved the song for ages, sung by Harry Nilsson, simply can't stand Mariah Carey's version and everytime she hears it, she she says M. Carey butchered the song

Without you -Harry Nilsson

Without you - Mariah Carey

Amethystos said:

I just love to watch this discussion since the songs mentioned are trully magnificent.

@BleakHeart You're so right about "Filaraki". Remos has a done a nice try but...

@Geomac Thank you for Charidou's version cause I had no idea about her. (I still prefer Koukas' though)

@dya Κυρά δασκάλα I go for your mother's opinion. Carey butchered the poor song

And finally I want to add to conversation a rather not so often example.
    There are some cases that a song is getting well known through its 2nd version as a result of external factors.

In 2001 Stelio Bikakis published Genethlia.

I only managed to hear it from him a couple of weeks before Notis Sfakianakis included it in his "Me agapi oti kaneis" CD (2004). Sfakianakis' reputation turned "Genethlia" into a big hit 3 years after its' first publication.

Bikakis' original version -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGybL5Go05g&fmt=18
    Sfakianakis' version -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74zAU5Yhnk&fmt=18
    Last edited by Amethystos; 10-02-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

8. dya said:

@Amethystos: Γεια σου I'll tell my mother there are other people who share her opinion

As for Genethlia, I think it's exactly what I tried to say earlier. I don't think it was Sfakianakis' reputation that helped the original song, I think it was his way of singing it, plus some changes in orchestration, and these gave the song a power that the original version fails to reach. In my opinion, of course Thing is that first time I heard Genethlia it was Notis' version, I couldn't understand more than 5 words from it, but it gave me goosebumps! Bikanis' original version is just a moving song but it lacks power.