Hi everybody!

Thread: Hi everybody!

Tags: None

Majid said:

Smile Hi everybody!

I am here because I love songs and also because I have just started to learn Italian and I'll be listening to Italian songs and wondering what the words mean.

My mother tongue is not English (that is evident probably!), it's Farsi. I learned English on my own and in a very personal way. I didn't attend any classes (I hated English in school so that can be ignored), I didn't use any of book-cassette sets like Lingaphone, and finally, I didn't have anyone to practice with.

What I did, was recording some very interesting Radio Drama from BBC called 'Play of the Week' (Sir Michael Lyons, please don't sue me!) and listened to them many, many times. It took me around a year from the time I didn't understand any of what was said to when I could understand it quite well.

I am going to repeat that with Italian. It will be much easier than 20 years ago, when I started learning English. Now we have satellite TV and Radio stations, blogs, pod-casts, and youtube. I had none back in the days I learned English; all I had was a shortwave radio receiver and a cassette recorder/player.

If you know of good radio drama, talk shows, documentaries and podcasts in Italian, I'd be more than happy to hear about.

Thanks for reading.

Majid
    Last edited by Majid; 11-01-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: corrected a misspelled woed

razvy2 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Majid View Post
    I am here because I love songs and also because I have just started to learn Italian and I'll be listening to Italian songs and wondering what the words mean.

My mother tongue is not English (that is evident probably!), it's Farsi. I learned English on my own and in a very personal way. I didn't attend any classes (I hated English in school so that can be ignored), I didn't use any of book-cassette sets like Lingaphone, and finally, I didn't have anyone to practice with.

What I did, was recording some very interesting Radio Drama from BBC called 'Play of the Week' (Sir Michael Lyons, please don't sue me!) and listened to them many, many times. It took me around a year from the time I didn't understand any of what was said to when I could understand it quite well.

I am going to repeat that with Italian. It will be much easier than 20 years ago, when I started learning English. Now we have satellite TV and Radio stations, blogs, pod-casts, and youtube. I had none back in the days I learned English; all I had was a shortwave radio receiver and a cassette recorder/player.

If you know of good radio drama, talk shows, documentaries and podcasts in Italian, I'd be more than happy to hear about.

Thanks for reading.

Majid
    Hello Majid, greetings from Romania.
    You have a really interesting story, your process of learning English is a real achievement. I cannot help you with Italian, but when you need some advices concerning Romanian, I will be here. ))
    All the best.

Majid said:

Razvy, thank you for your warm welcome.

LoOlya said:

Welcome !!
    Syria ♥
    لّا إِلَهَ إِلاَّ أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
    Suriyeli damarımda Türk kanı akıyor.

Majid said:

Thank you LoOlya, you 14-year-old-senior-member!

Zahra2008 said:

Welcome Majid... very interesting your introduction, I hope you will get all the help you need with the Italian ...

Greetings from Mexico
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

LoOlya said:

Quote Originally Posted by Majid View Post
    Thank you LoOlya, you 14-year-old-senior-member!
    Ah yes, Thanks God !
    Greetings from Syria !
    Syria ♥
    لّا إِلَهَ إِلاَّ أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
    Suriyeli damarımda Türk kanı akıyor.

Maviii said:

Welcome majid in the board ..
    learning italian is my dream so far
    but for some reasons i cant focus and practise it
    but as soon i find free time i`ll improve it

anyway .. see u around mate ..& welcome again

Majid said:

@Zahra2008: Thanks! I love Mexico.
    @LoOlya ["Ah yes, Thanks God"]: Good girl! Keep it this way.
    @Maviii:
    Thank you, Maviii, we have this common interest.
    But this is not a good idea to wait for free time to start learning. That way you may never start! Lower your expectations and start with activities which can be fitted to small time slots. Learning a new language is long journey and not easy on its own account. If we add extra conditions it will become harder to make progress.
    Last edited by Majid; 11-04-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo.

Majid said:

Maviii,

Interesting way to specify location! Don't know if it's a joke or not, but to satisfy my curiosity just pasted the coordinates into Google Maps and it took me to Al Kebreeti, Jordan.
    Last edited by Majid; 11-04-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added link to gMap

Zahra2008 said:

Hey Majid ... good that you likes my country .. Mexico is lovely!!

and p.s. yes Maviii is from Jordan
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Majid said:

Zahra,

I used to be a fan of Carlos Castaneda when I was young. Through his books I visited Mexico. Although I don't believe in what he says any more, I still find the descriptions of Mexico's lands amazing. I hope I can visit your country one day.

Maviii said:

LOL majid u have find me then by google
    yeah its kind of joke to show our locations .. its long story in this forum
    we all change our locations depending on our mood and for fun sometimes .

about learning languages yeah u r right i agree with u i have to start
    and find time without waiting .. but trust me i didnt let it &
    as soon i go to italy i`ll practise it and learn it there so quickly

btw : we can start to learn it together ..
    if u find good links like those u were looking for lemme know
    and i`ll bookmark them ... actually i need little push i admit that

Majid said:

Default Learning Italian together with Maviii

Quote Originally Posted by Maviii View Post
    LOL majid u have find me then by google
    yeah its kind of joke to show our locations .. its long story in this forum
    we all change our locations depending on our mood and for fun sometimes .
    Fun and harmless! And I can see that it is not limited to the location: look Zahra2008 has a new avatar.

btw : we can start to learn it together ..
    I'm game!

if u find good links like those u were looking for lemme know and i`ll bookmark them ... actually i need little push i admit that
    So here comes the first push:
    I found some good podcasts from RAI. RAI to Italy is what BBC is to the UK (Radio & TV). In the original link the descriptions are in Italian and I do not know much yet so I fed the page to Google Translate and got the same page with the description in English! - Google is amazing

Plan Now, learning together needs a plan. I have some ideas but I need time to put them together. So, if you really want to learn with me watch out for the plan, and tell me what YOU think should go into it. We can start a new topic and have others join too, but first let us figure out how the whole thing should go, then we'd make a new thread.

And finally here are the links:
    Take care,
    Majid
    Last edited by Majid; 11-05-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added a title.

15. JoeRocks7 said:

hi Majid,, is good to have you here,, I just started yesterday too,, and the job this people do with lyrics, it's really interesting and amazing...

know what? we have somethin in Common, I'm from a little country named El Salvador in Central America, and the same as you, I learned english by myself, now I looking for to learn german, I love it,, and I think these guys can help us a lot,, isnt so guys???

by the way! 'bout your request of Italian material,,, you shuold listen to " Il Divo" he's an italalian singer,, I like it.. you can find some lirycs here:

http://www.musica.com/letras.asp?letras=16248

hope it be helpful.
    by the way!! my native language is spanish, I don't know if it can be useful for you.. actually. Italian is very similar with spanish, andf if there's something I can help you with, I'll be more than glad..

Greetings, and welcome again!!!

Majid said:

Thank you very much Joe! Of course the lyrics will be very helpful and I will read them and listen to the songs. Good luck on your journey to learn German. And let me suggest a dutch song. It is called 'Lili Marleen' and is a German love song, and it is so sweet that according to tales whenever Radio Berlin played it during the world war II, the two sides stopped fighting and both listened to it!

You can read more about it and find the lyrics here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Marleen

And, El Salvador! Man, I REALLY love to have friends in all parts of the world. Greetings to you my friend from Karaj.