Ehsan Khaje Amiri - Shab Sorme - (FA >> EN)

Thread: Ehsan Khaje Amiri - Shab Sorme - (FA >> EN)

Tags: None

Paul Orhan said:

Default Ehsan Khaje Amiri - Shab Sorme - (FA >> EN)

Salam,
    Could I ask anyone to translate this beautiful song for me, please?
    Kheyli mamnoon in advance!

Ehsan Khaje Amiri - Shab Sorme

pinky_girl said:

here's the lyric:.....

کـجــــای ایـن شب غـریـبـــم ؟
    کـجـــای ایـن کـرانه ی کـبــود ؟
    کجــای ایــن شبی که از ازل
    چـراغ مـاه قـسـمــتـش نـبـــود
    کـجــای ایـن همـیشه ابریـــم ؟
    کـه آسمان نشــان نمی دهــد
    به گـریه میرسـم ولی سـکوت
    به گـریه هـــم امان نمـی دهـد
    کجای این شبم که مـی کشـد
    هوای گــریـه ام بـه نــا کـجــــا
    از ایــن خـرابـیــم کـــه می برد
    به خانه ای که نـیست ای خدا
    کـسـی نـمـانـده پا به پای مـن
    اگر غمی که خانه زاد تـوســت
    اگـر صـدای سـرمـه ریــز مــــن
    که شعر سر به مهر یاد توست

Paul Orhan said:

Looks beautiful in your script
    But can't say I grabbed the meaning

4. language said:

Can someone translate this song please? I love Ehsan and his songs ... amazing lyrics and voice

:-)

Merci in advance

Armita said:

before opening this post I asked God to be the first who translates this song...seems like he likes me :d
    کـجــــای ایـن شب غـریـبـــم ؟
    In which part of this strange night am I placed?
    کـجـــای ایـن کـرانه ی کـبــود ؟
    In which part of this dark sky?
    In which part of this night that since the eternity its fate wasn't the moon's light?
    In which part of this always cloudy sky am I,that I can't find its direction there? (I've changed the lyrics a bit,the poet wanted to mention a cloudy life,in easy words a miserable life. when the sky is cloudy it's hard to see it clearly and that's the reason why He can't find his exact place there )
    I'm getting closed to the tears but the silence doesn't give time even to crying ( = although i want to cry in sad moments, I can't coz some thing keeps me silent.I think it needs more explanation,plz tell me if it wasn't clear enough)
    کجای این شبم که مـی کشـد
    هوای گــریـه ام بـه نــا کـجــــا
    This crying temptation takes me to the deep of this night,to nowhere land
    از ایــن خـرابـیــم کـــه می برد
    به خانه ای که نـیست ای خدا
    My God ,who will take me out of this ruins to the home that doesn't exist at all?
    کـسـی نـمـانـده پا به پای مـن
    اگر غمی که خانه زاد تـوســت
    No one is left beside me except from this eternal sorrow
    اگـر صـدای سـرمـه ریــز مــــن
    که شعر سر به مهر یاد توست
    except from this sad voice that sings this faded song

Armita said:

I like to give you a bit more information about the meaning of this song's name.
    As you know the name is شب سرمه (shab sorme)
    Sorme is a kind of cosmetic used in Iran and middle east countries so many years ago.Maybe sth like collyrium .Its color is black and in persian literature it's the symbol of darkness. shab(=night) Sorme can be translated as Dark Night and in the last verse the poet says ( sedaye sorme rize man) which means : ( my voice is full of Sorme = my voice is dark) so I translated : (my sad voice).I wish I could translate it in easy words,plz let me know if there's any sentence which is not clear.I'll try my best to explain it better.
    Finally thanks a million pinky girl for the lyrics.It helped me a lot.
    I LOVE EHSAN SO SO SO ... MUCH
    Last edited by Armita; 04-10-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Paul Orhan said:

Dear Armita,

You made my day, Azizam!

Mamnoonam for your gr8 translation and explanatory notes.

Ehsan is such a gifted singer and composer! Iran's been blessed by God with so many fine artists!

Thank you again!
    Warmest regards from Poland!
    Last edited by Paul Orhan; 04-10-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Armita said:

you're welcome.
    for me it was such a great honor to translate one of his songs in addition I'm happy coz I could make u happy by this.

9. veryclever1980 said:

Thank you so much Armita for your translation.
    You have done it with such a great passion.

I will add some explanations to this song:

1-

&

These couplets can be referred to someone's fate which has been doomed to be gloomy and dark

2-

In this line, we have a beautiful ambiguity.

The first interpretation: The poet wants to cry in order to express his pain, but at the same time his desire for silence does not let him cry.

The second interpretation: He is doomed to be silent forever, so he can't break this spell over him. In other words, "the curse of silence" has been cast for so long.
    ***The translations have been done by Bijan Kardouni AKA veryclever1980***

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by veryclever1980 View Post
    The second interpretation: He is doomed to be silent forever, so he can't break this spell over him. In other words, "the curse of silence" has been cast for so long.
    I'd opt for this one - I can't see any desire for silence in these lyrics; rather the lack of hope that his crying might ever be heard and so this curse of hopelessness makes him silent.

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by Armita
    In which part of this night that since the eternity its fate wasn't the moon's light?
    This line is slightly illegible to me.

Did you mean - "In which part of this night, whose fate - since eternity - has been the moon's light?"

Paul Orhan said:

I'd love to see the Roman transliteration of these lyrics...
    Please, could anyone add the lyrics in latin alphabet?
    Please.
    Mamnoonam.

Armita said:

Paul there are so many peoms in Persian like this one that any one can take his own intention out of it.
    In any culture there are some beliefs and thoughts that rarely can be translated into another language with all its sense.

(In which part of this night that since the eternity its fate wasn't the moon's light?):
    Some people believe that before we're born our fate is written for us by God ,so all the happenings in this world are supposed to be in this way and we can't change them.The night he's talking about has a certain fate and that is the absence of the moon in its sky,so till the end this night won't experience a moon's light.In fact this night is the symbol of the poet's life and the moon's light is the symbol of happiness.By the information I gave you now we know that he wanted to say ( his fate is misery and he can't change it to a better one)

Paul Orhan said:

Salam Armita,

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Now I get the meaning behind this verse and let me only say that it made this song even closer to my heart. Especially that I tend to be one of those who believe in the "fate theory" even though it's so painful and so difficult to come to terms with sometimes...

Thanks a lot again and have a good day!

Armita said:

I did nothing in comarison to your kindness.
    So let me explain another verse of this song,maybe this final explanation makes you sad, a sadness which comes after finding a common pain among humanity.
    the last verse is :
    except from this sad voice that sings this faded song:
    I want to talk about (faded song).The Persian lyrics is different.he says : shere sar be mohre!
    Mohr means seal.As you know in the times before when a letter was finished they used a seal so no one could read it unless he broke the seal.In Persian literature when we talk about sth which is sealed it means no one knows about its content.or even if they see it,they won't understand what it really is.Sher (=poem) sar be mohre (=sealed) means a kind of poem that no one understands what the poet meant,they just hear the song and as I told you they take out their own intention but it doesn't mean what they found out is the poet's sense.
    This song shows the termination of a depression,and this depression won't be cured because no one understands him,so he turns to crying but this sadness is so much strong that keeps him like a stone silent and hopeless.Finally when he's silent people around him don't know he's drowning in his sorrow and this ocean will be deeper and deeper that survival is vain.

16. veryclever1980 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Armita View Post
    Paul there are so many peoms in Persian like this one that any one can take his own intention out of it.
    In any culture there are some beliefs and thoughts that rarely can be translated into another language with all its sense.

(In which part of this night that since the eternity its fate wasn't the moon's light?):
    Some people believe that before we're born our fate is written for us by God ,so all the happenings in this world are supposed to be in this way and we can't change them.The night he's talking about has a certain fate and that is the absence of the moon in its sky,so till the end this night won't experience a moon's light.In fact this night is the symbol of the poet's life and the moon's light is the symbol of happiness.By the information I gave you now we know that he wanted to say ( his fate is misery and he can't change it to a better one)

Thank you so much Armita, your explanation was great and clear.

I suppose they call it "Fatalism" in philosophy and literature.
    ***The translations have been done by Bijan Kardouni AKA veryclever1980***

Paul Orhan said:

Oh Armita!

Mamnoonam x 1390 x 1390.

That was very kind of you to explain the final phrase, especially that the Persian and English lyrics have different root connotations.

This very example also shows how difficult it is to translate lyrics from one tongue (and its symbolic area) to another language (and its symbolics). But then it can be such a challenge and adventure! The more congrats for your effort!

And you're right, of course - it added to the sadness but then ... well, it was meant to be this way, wasn't it?

God bless ya!

Armita said:

I wish I could ask Ehsan himself what was in his mind when he was singing it.
    What a life we have!!....so many questions and no answer.This is the moment when I'm forced to be silent by that invisible power too.
    Ey Roozegar....
    thank you Paul for all the things you said about me, I wish I could be like that indeed and thank you veryclever for helping me in this translation.
    [The best]=You

Paul Orhan said:

Armita,

I just have to add utmost modesty to this smallish bit that I offered you, azizam!

What fantastic people Iran has!!!<<-- this should be the proper exclamation here!

Take extra care of yourself!

And I hope to see you on the Persian Forum again.
    (there's another Ehsan song waiting to be translated btw )