Word translations

Thread: Word translations

Tags: None
  1. azimut said:

... ...

Oh! My Goodness !!! ... !!! ...

This "place" is indeed of ... "natural" and "technical" ... "ways" ... !!! ... LOL LOL LOL

... ...
    To be is to do - Plato
    To do is to be - Socrates
    Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra

kat said:

what does
    Eho Tiflis, Epistw Sini.

quarkie68 said:

Default It means

έχω τυφλή εμπιστοσύνη = exw tyflh empistosynh = I trust blindly = I absolutely trust .

Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    what does
    Eho Tiflis, Epistw Sini.
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

quarkie68 said:

Default How to get greek characters on a Windows XP machine

If you have Windows XP, go to 'Start' (bottom left corner) and find 'Control Panel' . From there, find the 'Regional and Language Options' and double click on them. Go to the 'Languages' tab and hit the 'Details' button under 'Text services and Input Languages'. You should then be able to 'Add' a new language keyboard layout.

If you use a MAC or other computer shout and I can give you instructions for these as well. If your Windows computer has a language other than English, the previous description should give you some hints.

how do i use this greek keyboard thing
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

kat said:

ναι! εφχαριστω, τω γραφουμε καλα? ... haha i hope i wrote that right. lol

quarkie68 said:

Έτσι μπράβο! (That's the way)

ναι! εφχαριστω, τω γραφουμε καλα? ... haha i hope i wrote that right. lol

kat said:

ορεα γραμματα ναι? i was just wondering...when you write stuff in greek letters...
    were does the 'ω' & 'ο' go in the sentences. does the 'ω' go in the middle of a word or at the end? and as for 'η' & 'ι' where do they go?... ill try and give you an example:

Προτω - or -
    Πρωτο
    what way is correct?
    and as for the 'η' & 'ι'
    Μηλαι - or -
    Μιλαη

any help would be great

alison69 said:

Default Well, well

We have a computer expert here obviously! Could you tell me how to do the same thing on my MAC?

Quote Originally Posted by quarkie68 View Post
    If you have Windows XP, go to 'Start' (bottom left corner) and find 'Control Panel' . From there, find the 'Regional and Language Options' and double click on them. Go to the 'Languages' tab and hit the 'Details' button under 'Text services and Input Languages'. You should then be able to 'Add' a new language keyboard layout.

If you use a MAC or other computer shout and I can give you instructions for these as well. If your Windows computer has a language other than English, the previous description should give you some hints.
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

quarkie68 said:

About the ω and ο there are many rules. The most basic one refers to the end of verbs. All verbs for the "I" person, end up in omega ω. For instance, if you know that μιλάω is a verb, the last one shall always be ω.

Εγώ μιλάω = I talk
    Εγώ κοιτάζω = I look
    Εγώ αγαπώ = I love

If you are dealing with nouns, the situation is more blurred. If the noun is of neutral gender (normally things, but the rule is not consistent), they normally end in omicron ο . For instance, you would say:

Το δέντρο = the tree and NEVER το δέντρω

Το αυτοκίνητο = the car and NEVER το αυτοκίνητω

In the same way and for verbs always, when you refer to third person, and you have to decide between some of the e's (η, ι, ει, υ) , you bet that the end of the word will end in ει (diphthong of two letters ε and ι pronounced as e). So, you would say:

Αυτός/αυτή μιλάει = he/she talks
    Αυτός/αυτή κοιτάζει = he/she looks
    Αυτός/αυτή αγαπάει = he/she loves

For the rest, the rules are complex, often driven by the etymology of the word and other language phenomena, so the easiest thing to do is to remember how they are written.

πρώτο for instance.

Does that make sense to you?

ορεα γραμματα ναι? i was just wondering...when you write stuff in greek letters...
    were does the 'ω' & 'ο' go in the sentences. does the 'ω' go in the middle of a word or at the end? and as for 'η' & 'ι' where do they go?... ill try and give you an example:

Προτω - or -
    Πρωτο
    what way is correct?
    and as for the 'η' & 'ι'
    Μηλαι - or -
    Μιλαη

any help would be great
    Last edited by quarkie68; 01-08-2007 at 08:55 AM.

quarkie68 said:

Default Certainly -- Greek keyboard layout on the MAC for alison69

(I assume you have some kind of 10.x MACOSX). If you have an older MACOS version you should not really be on the net.)

From the 'Finder' go to the 'Applications' folder. There you should see a grey-ish icon with an Apple called 'System Preferences'. Double click and under the 'Personal' tab you will see the 'International' icon. Click on that and on the window that pops up go to the 'Input Menu' and tick the Greek keyboard layout. You should then see a language icon on your task bar that allows you to switch over between English and Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    We have a computer expert here obviously! Could you tell me how to do the same thing on my MAC?

alison69 said:

Default Wow Professor...

How much do you charge per lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by quarkie68 View Post
    About the ω and ο there are many rules. The most basic one refers to the end of verbs. All verbs for the "I" person, end up in omega ω. For instance, if you know that μιλάω is a verb, the last one shall always be ω.

Εγώ μιλάω = I talk
    Εγώ κοιτάζω = I look
    Εγώ αγαπώ = I love

If you are dealing with nouns, the situation is more blurred. If the noun is of neutral gender (normally things, but the rule is not consistent), they normally end in omicron ο . For instance, you would say:

Το δέντρο = the tree and NEVER το δέντρω

Το αυτοκίνητο = the car and NEVER το αυτοκίνητω

In the same way and for verbs always, when you refer to third person, and you have to decide between some of the e's (η, ι, ει, υ) , you bet that the end of the word will end in ει (diphthong of two letters ε and ι pronounced as e). So, you would say:

Αυτός/αυτή μιλάει = he/she talks
    Αυτός/αυτή κοιτάζει = he/she looks
    Αυτός/αυτή αγαπάει = he/she loves

For the rest, the rules are complex, often driven by the etymology of the word and other language phenomena, so the easiest thing to do is to remember how they are written.

πρώτο for instance.

Does that make sense to you?
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

quarkie68 said:

Default A pint of beer per hour...

Flat standard rate.

Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    How much do you charge per lesson?

panselinos said:

were does the 'ω' & 'ο' go in the sentences. does the 'ω' go in the middle of a word or at the end? and as for 'η' & 'ι' where do they go?
    Speaking of which - ωραία γράμματα, not ορεα.
    Γράφω ωραία γράμματα, είμαι καλλιγράφος.

In modern Greek the diagramme EI could be both monophthong (pronounced "i", as in "Greece") and diphthong (pronounced "ei", as in "may").

So, the diagramme EI

1) is pronounced "i"
    a) when without stress at all: ει = [i] (εικόνα - i`kona)
    b) or when a stress on its second component: εί = [i] (είρων - `iron)

2) is pronounced with its components split completely /ei/ or uttered in a fast diphthong /ei/
    a) when the stress lies on the first vowel, as in έι = [`ei] [`ei]
    b) when there are dialytics (umlaut) on the second vowel as in εï = [ei] [ei] (γoνεïκό - gonei`ko)
    /also with dialytics+stress at second component εΐ = [e`i]/

εί = [i]
    But έι, εϊ, εΐ = [ei] or [ei]

P.S. Diacritic marks => Dyalitics: From the word διαλύω - untie, dissolve.
    At binary vowel-combinations the dialytics are placed over the second vowel.
    Last edited by panselinos; 01-08-2007 at 02:15 PM.

kat said:

ooh.. thanks for that, i think i get it now =] eh...
    what is a youka...? i heard it on "STO PARA 5"
    Amalia says "potisa ta louloudia ke mou piege to youka sto mati!"
    and Aggela was singing a song... I didn't quite catch all the lyrics & don't know if that ivromi word is right..
    ta ivromi (??) ta skorpas, sta malia sou tha travas

panselinos said:

Well, "γιούκα" is an ornamental plant.
    It looks like this:

As far as I remember, the song goes like:

Τα λεφτά μην τα σκορπάς
    Τα μαλλιά σου θα τραβάς
    Έλληνα βαρυγκομάς
    Έχεις γίνει φουκαράς

lol

kat said:

who sings it? haha you guys are really good translators

panselinos said:

She sings it. :P It's not an actual song, it's a "Sto para pente" creation. lol

18. stavroulanarchios said:

Can I get the English translation separakelo?

Είμαι μάγκας
    Δημήτρης Μητροπάνος

Είμαι μάγκας στην Αθήνα
    Mόρτης στην Καλαμαριά
    Ξύπνιος ναυτικός στην Κίνα
    Kαι αετός στη Μπαρμπαριά

Είμαι μάρκα στο λιμάνι
    Kαι στα Τρίκαλα ανθός
    Mες τον Πειραιά αλάνι
    Kαι στο Πέραμα Θεός

Είμαι μόρτης και ασίκης
    Στο χαρτί και στη ζαριά
    Mάγκας στη Θεσσαλονίκη
    Δάσκαλος στη ζεϊμπεκιά

tzina772000 said:

Είμαι μάγκας
    I'm a tough guy

Δημήτρης Μητροπάνος
    Dimitris Mitropanos

Είμαι μάγκας στην Αθήνα
    I'm a tough guy in Athens

Mόρτης στην Καλαμαριά
    Tough guy in Kalamaria(a neighberhood in Thessaloniki)

Ξύπνιος ναυτικός στην Κίνα
    Smart sailor in Cina

Kαι αετός στη Μπαρμπαριά
    and a falcon(meaning very smart)in Mparmparia(i think meant as anywhere outside Greece)
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Είμαι μάρκα στο λιμάνι
    I'm a cunning man in the port (most probably it means Piraeus)

Kαι στα Τρίκαλα ανθός
    and in Trikala a blossom (Trikala: town above Athens)

Mες τον Πειραιά αλάνι
    Inside Piraeus a gutter boy

Kαι στο Πέραμα Θεός
    and in Perama God (Perama: area a little outside Piraeus)
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Είμαι μόρτης και ασίκης
    I'm a tough guy and a corker

Στο χαρτί και στη ζαριά
    in the cards and dices

Mάγκας στη Θεσσαλονίκη
    tough guy in Thessaloniki

Δάσκαλος στη ζεϊμπεκιά
    a master in zeimpekiko

If anyone else has better words for μάγκας, μόρτης, ασίκης, αλάνι please give them

20. stavroulanarchios said:

Efxaristo para polei, mou aresei para poli ta ellenika tragouthia all ta ellenika mou den einai toso kala alla prespatho :-)