Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by boricamami07 View Post
    OMG!!! iNEVA KNEW DAT... DAT iS SOOOO WEiRD...!
    iHAV NEVA HEARD DAT B4...!
    hehe, yeah.. mexican slang is weird!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    i think i did pretty good :P
    thanxs also for your help!!

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    He got it from the verb mofarse reirse de, burlarse de. it's the same.

De quita y pon: from verbs quitar and poner
    Cool, didn't know that Mofarse even existed! The quitipon thing I figured out but I thought it was funny. Someday I'll post a list of crazy made up words that my pops uses. Most of them are Latinized English words, although he uses French and a lot of Arawak (Taíno) words as well.

Somos del campo y nuestro vocabulario es muy campesino!
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

4. Ultimate DJ said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    Hey guys: I can only explain this phrase in spanish, would you mind help me with the translation?!!

Tragame Víbora esta expresion se dice cuando:

* alguien te esta criticando
    * alguien voltea a verte y esta hablando cosas malas (casi nunca cosas buenas) acerca de ti

tragame= alguien esta mirandote, criticandote

víbora= alguien intrigoso, murmurador, calumniador, chismoso

thanks people, but I don't think that was it. HOw would those make sense by putting it on the back of your car? it was more written like, Viva La Raz or Guadalajara...etc
    I asked the people that had it written and they said it was like,
    somebody has money and you want it...or something like that...?

thanks

puravida
    cheio

5. Ultimate DJ said:

hey
    also I wanted to know the meaning of Pena. Like technically it means Embarresment but in the Gipsy Kings song Triste Pena...it means more like Pain right?
    anybody clear this up? thnkx!

pruavia
    chies

6. Apolo said:

It's like "Sad pity"... Pity is "pena", saying "Triste pena" is like making it worst that it is, more sad... Did I am clear ? My English is not that good ...

damarys said:

My definition of pena in the context of this song is "shame" or "pity", like Apolo said. It can also mean "sad" or even embarrassed ("me da pena") like Ultimate DJ said.

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post
    Somos del campo y nuestro vocabulario es muy campesino!
    Pues deberías oír a mis padres, todavía utilizan palabras de la época de maría castaña(<- esta es una de ellas)

Zahra2008 said:

Pues deberías oír a mis padres, todavía utilizan palabras de la época de maría castaña(<- esta es una de ellas)
    ya se, mis papás también usan unas palabras medias raras, y sin darme cuenta yo las he usado... y despues tengo que andar explicando el significado!! hahah

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    ya se, mis papás también usan unas palabras medias raras, y sin darme cuenta yo las he usado... y despues tengo que andar explicando el significado!! hahah
    eso también me pasa a mí

eg1218 said:

eso también me pasa a mí
    Here's a short list of things that I can think of that we use in our area of Puerto Rico (northwest):

Jícotea = Turtle
    Cocolía = Sea Crab
    Júey = Land Crab
    Múcaro = Owl
    Gúaragúao = Hawk or Eagle

Chíforobi = Dresser or Wardrobe

The first five are words from the Taíno or Arawak language and the last one is a from the French word Chifforobe, which is a wardrobe. I wish I could remember more but that's all I have for now.

The interesting thing is that these types of words are used by a lot of different people so I know it's not just my dad making things up. Obviously due to the geographic location of Puerto Rico, a lot of cultures have left an impact in our language, something that I am proud of. This is why we use so many vocabulary words from other languages. You have no idea how incensed I get when people from other countries suggest that we, as Puertoricans, don't know how to speak "proper" Spanish! As if a language can be spoken in an universal way! A language is a living thing that is constantly evolving, it's not something stiff that never changes. Spanish is no different than English in this sense.

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox now!
    Last edited by eg1218; 01-12-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typos
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

xiurell said:

Yes, you're right. The standard language doesn't really exist. All we speak constrained by our environment. All languages have influences from others, to a greater or lesser degree.

damarys said:

@eg1218 - thanks for the refresher. We share some of the same words in Cuba. I haven't heard the word "jícotea" in decades! It made me smile. :-)

14. sophiaxo said:

hi all new here seems lk arux tha man 2 talk 2 lol so wat does "chevere" mean?

15. Ultimate DJ said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    My definition of pena in the context of this song is "shame" or "pity", like Apolo said. It can also mean "sad" or even embarrassed ("me da pena") like Ultimate DJ said.
    thanks both of you. THat helps!

@Sophiex Chevere means like Cool or Neat. or kinda like a goodbye after you had a conversation its like "gracias por todo, adios chevere"...or at least thats what it means in Colombia!

puravida
    DJ

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    @eg1218 - thanks for the refresher. We share some of the same words in Cuba. I haven't heard the word "jícotea" in decades! It made me smile. :-)
    Awesome!

Most of the words seem to be nouns. In fact, the large majority of Puerto Rico's 78 municipalities have Taíno names. The same thing for mountain ranges and rivers. Cuba has a ton of Taíno names as well, I'm not as familiar with them though.

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate DJ View Post
    thanks both of you. THat helps!

@Sophiex Chevere means like Cool or Neat. or kinda like a goodbye after you had a conversation its like "gracias por todo, adios chevere"...or at least thats what it means in Colombia!

puravida
    DJ
    "Chevere" is used in similar fashion in Puerto Rico as well, although I'm not sure it's commonly used now-a-days. I also use a variation of it - "Cheveroqui".

But then again, I am a hick from the woods so I use a lot of other words and phrases to describe something that I like:

Eso está criminal.
    Eso está pepóso.
    Eso está bestíal.
    Eso está caótico.

ha ha ha, you know nonsensical stuff!

We also tend to merge the verb "bregando" with a bunch of regional slang to create even more nonsensical phrases.

For example: "Tú estás bregándo cajíta 'e pollo" means that you are being cheap and "Tú estás bregándo Chicky Starr" means that you are doing shady stuff. The chicken box thing is a reference to a local restaurant where you can get a box of fried chicken for 2 bucks. The Chicky Starr reference has to do with this wrestler who's always betraying his allies. He's been wrestling since I was a little kid and he's very popular on account of his cockiness.

Alright, sorry about that. Didn't mean to go off on a tangent there!

-Emilio

18. sophiaxo said:

Smile

"Chevere" is used in similar fashion in Puerto Rico as well, although I'm not sure it's commonly used now-a-days. I also use a variation of it - "Cheveroqui".

But then again, I am a hick from the woods so I use a lot of other words and phrases to describe something that I like:

Eso está criminal.
    Eso está pepóso.
    Eso está bestíal.
    Eso está caótico.

We also tend to merge the verb "bregando" with a bunch of regional slang to create even more nonsensical phrases.

For example: "Tú estás bregándo cajíta 'e pollo" means that you are being cheap and "Tú estás bregándo Chicky Starr" means that you are doing shady stuff. The chicken box thing is a reference to a local restaurant where you can get a box of fried chicken for 2 bucks. The Chicky Starr reference has to do with this wrestler who's always betraying his allies. He's been wrestling since I was a little kid and he's very popular on account of his cockiness.

-Emilio
    k thanks guys but wat does "k vuelta acere" mean?

bebestylee said:

Eso está criminal.
    Eso está pepóso.
    Eso está bestíal.
    Eso está caótico.

-Emilio

yea those are very popular in PR....i too am from the woods..Barros Orocovis de puro sepas!.....

pero se dice "Tu estas bregando a lo cajita de pollo" o "Tu estas bregando a lo Chicky Starr" O sea que bregar is the verb....a lo is used to adjoin the adjective which is Chicky Starr or Cajita de Pollo....
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

20. nando dice said:

Que significa "Heronico"

Lo escuche en una cancion de Viday y Yonell, "Fue Heronico"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlVUV...e=channel_page