Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

citlalli said:

Well, I'm 100% chilanga, and I don't care if somebody hates me or makes fun of me for that. If someone's narrow-minded or prejudiced, that's their problem, not mine.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

damarys said:

Okay.... I give.... what's a chilango/chilanga? Is that like a guajiro?

citlalli said:

Chilango/chilanga is someone from Mexico City.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Well, I'm 100% chilanga, and I don't care if somebody hates me or makes fun of me for that. If someone's narrow-minded or prejudiced, that's their problem, not mine.
    Citlalli... I hope you dont get offense by my comments.... darling wasnt my intention!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Could it be.... "que vuelta haces"? So that "aceres" is really "que vuelta das" or "que vuelta haces voz"? I'm completely guessing. What do you think?
    you're right...i didn't think of that, instead i went off into left field!

ha ha ha

if that's the case then "k vuelta haces" would mean "what a turn you've made"

i guess we'd have to know the context in which the phrase is being used.

- Emilio
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

eg1218 said:

Okay.... I give.... what's a chilango/chilanga? Is that like a guajiro?
    yeah, is it like "jibaro"?...you know like calling someone a redneck because of how they sound?
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

7. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post
    yeah, is it like "jibaro"?...you know like calling someone a redneck because of how they sound?
    so what would pasto jibaro be then?? like redneck weed??

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by MasSueltoQueTu View Post
    so what would pasto jibaro be then?? like redneck weed??
    Pasto Jibaro...is like pasto pangola. by saying pasto jibaro he's like saying that they smoke grass. Pasto means marijuana but it can also mean grass....

But the true meaning behind the song is actually a tiraera. Jowell y Randy were beefin with some people in the game and they made a metaphoric song to throw at them. Lo mio es haze, tu fumas pasto jibaro is to say, My talent is real or we are the best and you're that fake sh*t or you don't have talent. It def sounds better in spanish....lol but that's the jsst of it.
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

9. miania said:

what means que chido and carai or smething like that?=)

10. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Pasto Jibaro...is like pasto pangola. by saying pasto jibaro he's like saying that they smoke grass. Pasto means marijuana but it can also mean grass....

But the true meaning behind the song is actually a tiraera. Jowell y Randy were beefin with some people in the game and they made a metaphoric song to throw at them. Lo mio es haze, tu fumas pasto jibaro is to say, My talent is real or we are the best and you're that fake sh*t or you don't have talent. It def sounds better in spanish....lol but that's the jsst of it.
    yea, it's literally like "we got haze (good stuff) and you smoke bs"

and chido is when something is cool

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by miania View Post
    what means que chido and carai or smething like that?=)
    We say "¡(ah) caray!" to express surprise or sometimes disgust... a bit like saying damn, bugger, sh*t, etc.

You can also have a quick look here:

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/t...asp?spen=caray

And if something's "chido" then it's "cool", nice, good... like Dmoney already said. As far as I know only we mexicans use that word.

12. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post

ok..I knew what pasto meant I just didn't know what jibaro meant..Cuz I thought it meant like were smokin the good **** your **** is garbage

13. MasSueltoQueTu said:

We say "¡(ah) caray!" to express surprise or sometimes disgust... a bit like saying damn, bugger, sh*t, etc.

You can also have a quick look here:

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/t...asp?spen=caray

And if something's "chido" then it's "cool", nice, good... like Dmoney already said. As far as I know only we mexicans use that word.

carai is like a short way of saying "carajo" for mexicans

chido is something cool/decent

chingon is a more vulgar way of saying it. It means something is the ....hit

que onda

q vo

que tranza can all be used to mean whats up

14. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    judging from the rapper's accent, he's obviously chicano, so it's either chicano or mexican. Micro might be a place or person. i can't find anything about it though, sorry

he's Mexican...very famous Mexican rappers from Santa Catarina NL Mexico.. I cant really translate what the word means all I can come up with is bus..they have alot of them in Mexico City..but I know for sure thats now what it means..

15. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I used to love watching El Show the Chespirito". However just like Cubans love to drink "malta" and eveyone else hates it, El Chapulin Colorado and El CHavo del Ocho were definitely an acquired taste!
    These posts brought a smile to my face.
    You got that right.. I don;t know how you can drink that stuff...when I was younger this Puerto Rican lady let me try it and I hated it.. Chicarron is good though as well as arroz y habichuelas

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by MasSueltoQueTu View Post
    carai is like a short way of saying "carajo" for mexicans
    Mhhh, I've heard that explanation before but I don't agree 100%. If one is saying only 'Ah caray' then yes, it's the same like saying 'Ah carajo'... but in other phrases they just can't be swapped (eg. 'Vete al carajo' '¿qué carajo(s) quieres?').

17. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Mhhh, I've heard that explanation before but I don't agree 100%. If one is saying only 'Ah caray' then yes, it's the same like saying 'Ah carajo'... but in other phrases they just can't be swapped (eg. 'Vete al carajo' '¿qué carajo(s) quieres?').
    I know what you mean

so it would be like carajo no aprendes.

caray no aprendes

you wouldnt say vete pal caray..vete pal carajo

citlalli said:

Hehe... nooo... 'vete pal caray' sounds too nice LOL

19. MasSueltoQueTu said:

rastrillea??

20. miania said:

tnx for caray and chido=)