Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by MasSueltoQueTu View Post
    rastrillea??
    sounds like a version of the word "rastrillo" which means rake in english. "Rastrillar" means to rake. So "rastrillea" could mean the act of raking. I'm guessing that, if it's from a reggaeton song, it's probably a slang for grinding a girl.

I could be wrong though! =]

-Emilio
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

2. MasSueltoQueTu said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post
    sounds like a version of the word "rastrillo" which means rake in english. "Rastrillar" means to rake. So "rastrillea" could mean the act of raking. I'm guessing that, if it's from a reggaeton song, it's probably a slang for grinding a girl.

-Emilio
    More than likely..but its about 3 am and I can go for some Enchiladas right about now..

bebestylee said:

-Emilio
    Yeah that's pretty much it. Just a form of grindin'! The term was made popular in Ponce by Los Leones, Specifically Jking, Maximan and Guelo Star. Jowelly y Randy have a song out called Rastrillea...after they started beefin with Jking y Maximan...Jking y Maximan would say...Los verdaderos Rastrilleros....to hint that that's their word....

Just a bit of my useless knowledge! lol
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

eg1218 said:

I found this interesting article on Wiki earlier today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish..._and_varieties

I thought you guys would find it interesting. Especially the section where it individually addresses the linguistic variations of the different Spanish speaking regions of America.

-Emilio
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

5. MasSueltoQueTu said:

I found this interesting article on Wiki earlier today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish..._and_varieties

I thought you guys would find it interesting. Especially the section where it individually addresses the linguistic variations of the different Spanish speaking regions of America.

-Emilio

interesting...I didn't know they spoke other forms of language in Spain.. all the other Spanish languages I knew about since I've come in contact with SPanish speaking people from all different countries

6. xpebbsx said:

que quiere decir bizcochito? es de la cancion saoco by wisin y daddy yankee :P

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by xpebbsx View Post
    que quiere decir bizcochito? es de la cancion saoco by wisin y daddy yankee :P
    es un pan... pero se usa para decir que alguien es rico/delicioso/guapo
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

8. xpebbsx said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    es un pan... pero se usa para decir que alguien es rico/delicioso/guapo
    oo jaja okii

citlalli said:

LOL tenía tanto que no oía este piropo
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by MasSueltoQueTu View Post
    interesting...I didn't know they spoke other forms of language in Spain.. all the other Spanish languages I knew about since I've come in contact with SPanish speaking people from all different countries
    I believe that there are 4 official languages recognized by the Spanish government: Castilian (aka Spanish), Euskara (aka Basque), Catalán (aka Valencian) and Galician. Then there area few other regional languages and dialects of all four main languages. The reason why Spanish (Castilian) is associated with Spain is because the majority of Spaniards who emigrated to other parts of the world primarily spoke Castilian, as it is the most widely spoken language in Spain.

I, personally, am fascinated by languages and their history. The Iberian peninsula has a ton of languages for such a comparatively small place.

-Emilio

eg1218 said:

I just remembered another of my dad's funny words:

Sírey

I have no idea what it means but he uses it whenever he wants to point out that something is difficult or hard to change.

ie "ni pal sírey!"

anyone have any idea what this means?

-Emilio

12. MasSueltoQueTu said:

I believe that there are 4 official languages recognized by the Spanish government: Castilian (aka Spanish), Euskara (aka Basque), Catalán (aka Valencian) and Galician. Then there area few other regional languages and dialects of all four main languages. The reason why Spanish (Castilian) is associated with Spain is because the majority of Spaniards who emigrated to other parts of the world primarily spoke Castilian, as it is the most widely spoken language in Spain.

I, personally, am fascinated by languages and their history. The Iberian peninsula has a ton of languages for such a comparatively small place.

-Emilio

interesting

damarys said:

Sírey

I have no idea what it means but he uses it whenever he wants to point out that something is difficult or hard to change.

ie "ni pal sírey!"

-Emilio
    Hi Emilio! Where is your dad from? All I could find through a quick search was information about an island names Sirey. If I know where your dad is from, maybe we can find a slang dictionary from his distinct Spanish dialect.

14. Cubano102 said:

Sírey

ie "ni pal sírey!"

-Emilio
    I have also heard my father say "sírey" and don't know what it means either. Where is your dad from?

damarys said:

Otro cubano??? Oye chico... bienvenido! Wait, are you Cuban or borican?
    I will have to ask my dad about sirey... maybe it's a cuban thing!

eg1218 said:

Cubano 102/Damarys

My pops is Puerto Rican, like myself, He was born in Aguadilla and moved to NYC at the age of 12, where he lived until his mid 30's, he then moved back to PR in the early 70's. While in NYC he spent a lot of time with Italians, Greeks as well as other people from various Latin countries. Because of this, it's hard to pinpoint where he got "Sirey" from. It's possible that he may have picked it up from Cubanos if he hung around them during his youth. What I can say is that he picked up a lot of weird vocabulary words from his exposure to different people in NYC.

-Emilio

17. sammmay said:

lmao ; how do you say this -- > wateque.
    i know what it like means. . but can yu like sounds it out for me ;
    thanks<3

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by sammmay View Post
    lmao ; how do you say this -- > wateque.
    i know what it like means. . but can yu like sounds it out for me ;
    thanks<3
    wateke/ wateque means party
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

19. sammmay said:

nota loka . . ?
    exact translation .

and how would yu say **** you in dominican spanish. i asked one of my good friends that was born around spanish and hes better at that then english and he told me there was no direct tranlstion .

damarys said:

"No estas loca?" Is like saying... "are you crazy, girl?" I guess it depends on the context of the conversation. Literally it means "You are not crazy" or "are you not crazy?"