Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Berna said:

Hey guys! How can I say ''before I go''?
    I wonder which one is correct
    antes yo voy
    antes de irme

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    Hey guys! How can I say ''before I go''?
    I wonder which one is correct
    antes yo voy
    antes de irme
    Before I go = Antes que me vaya...

Before I go, I want to tell you that I love you!

Antes que me vaya, quiero decirte que te amo!
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!
  3. Brittany1990 said:

Ohhh thank you soo much!!! =) I guess i have nothing to be worried about... I appreciate it so much! =) Good thing I didn't freak out haha. Thanks so much for taking the time ti translate that whole thing for me.

Berna said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Before I go = Antes que me vaya...

Before I go, I want to tell you that I love you!

Antes que me vaya, quiero decirte que te amo!
    Muchas gracias, puedes explicar cuál es la diferencia entre ''vaya'' y ''voy''?

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany1990 View Post
    Ohhh thank you soo much!!! =) I guess i have nothing to be worried about... I appreciate it so much! =) Good thing I didn't freak out haha. Thanks so much for taking the time ti translate that whole thing for me.
    No Prob....Anytime!
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

bebestylee said:

Good question...i have no idea! lol...sorry! I never actually studied spanish in school...So I really don't know proper conjugations, subjunctives etc etc.....

I'm street certified! lol

Berna said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Good question...i have no idea! lol...sorry! I never actually studied spanish in school...So I really don't know proper conjugations, subjunctives etc etc.....

I'm street certified! lol
    Vale, gracias por tu ayuda

seydarr said:

well i know it is subjunctive... but i dont know why they use subjunctive in that situation... is it maybe because it may not happen, so there is a doubt, so they need a subjunctive???

as well as we have been taught, in a doubt, negative commands etc they need to use subjunctive. and as far as i remember, there are two subjunctives, present and imperfect...

for example:
    creo que es la verdad but when you make it negative:
    no creo que sea la verdad... sea is the subjunctive....

si tuviera rico - if i was rich
    but because in reality i am not rich and it is conditional tense, i use imperfect subjunctive....

i know it doesnt help... because it nearly took my 1 year to learn it

someone correct me if i am wrong:S
    Είναι τα αισθήματα μου σαν θηρία ανήμερα, κι ούτε ξέρω πως τ' αντέχω και τα συγκρατώ.

seydarr said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    In Mexico ppl will commonly say too:

"Ando a la moda" (for us "estoy de moda" means I'm the person who's setting the fashion, and "ando a la moda" means I'm following the fashion).

@Bebe: Woooow! good job with that looooong post
    hmmmmm.... didnt know that sounds cool thanx... maybe thats why they thought it is estoy a moda...
    Είναι τα αισθήματα μου σαν θηρία ανήμερα, κι ούτε ξέρω πως τ' αντέχω και τα συγκρατώ.

Berna said:

Quote Originally Posted by seydarr View Post
    well i know it is subjunctive... but i dont know why they use subjunctive in that situation... is it maybe because it may not happen, so there is a doubt, so they need a subjunctive???

as well as we have been taught, in a doubt, negative commands etc they need to use subjunctive. and as far as i remember, there are two subjunctives, present and imperfect...

for example:
    creo que es la verdad but when you make it negative:
    no creo que sea la verdad... sea is the subjunctive....

si tuviera rico - if i was rich
    but because in reality i am not rich and it is conditional tense, i use imperfect subjunctive....

i know it doesnt help... because it nearly took my 1 year to learn it

someone correct me if i am wrong:S
    Thanks nice try but maybe I wouldn't be confused if you gave me a few examples about 'vaya' and 'voy' cuz I really need to know.

seydarr said:

Thanks nice try but maybe I wouldn't be confused if you gave me a few examples about 'vaya' and 'voy' cuz I really need to know.
    let me try one with 'voy' as well

es muy obvio que voy al colegio - its very obvious i go to school
    no es obvio que vaya al colegio - its not obvious that i go to school

mi madre quiere que yo vaya al colegio - my mum wants me to go to school
    wish of someone affects a second person so instead of 'voy' i use 'vaya'.

no conozco a nadie que vaya al colegio - i know no one who goes to school

quiénquiera que vaya al colegio - whoever goes to school
    as there is no one specific, it can be anyone: so use subjunctive.

i know it wont help that much as well but at least ive used 'vaya'

Berna said:

let me try one with 'voy' as well

es muy obvio que voy al colegio - its very obvious i go to school
    no es obvio que vaya al colegio - its not obvious that i go to school

mi madre quiere que yo vaya al colegio - my mum wants me to go to school
    wish of someone affects a second person so instead of 'voy' i use 'vaya'.

no conozco a nadie que vaya al colegio - i know no one who goes to school

quiénquiera que vaya al colegio - whoever goes to school
    as there is no one specific, it can be anyone: so use subjunctive.

i know it wont help that much as well but at least ive used 'vaya'
    Muchas gracias amigo(a)

seydarr said:

Muchas gracias amigo(a)
    amigo soy un chico de nada

citlalli said:

hmmmmm.... didnt know that sounds cool thanx... maybe thats why they thought it is estoy a moda...
    LOL maybe

Hey, all your examples for the subjuctive are perfect! Good job only one correction: If I were rich - si fuera/fuese rico...
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

seydarr said:

LOL maybe

Hey, all your examples for the subjuctive are perfect! Good job only one correction: If I were rich - si fuera/fuese rico...
    ajjj sii gracias por tu corrección (i made this word up just now) so if i say, si tuviera la oportunidad... my teacher always told me to recognise 'se' endings but not to use them as they are more latinoamericano so when you said 'fuese' i was in a little confusion but got the idea now

muchas gracias

citlalli said:

Hi

Those endings are very easy: you just swap the "-ra" for "-se":

si supiera/supiese
    si pudiera/pudiese
    si dijera/dijese....etc.

I'd never heard before that "-se" is more latin american; but I'm not an expert on that so it may be true. But oi, tell your teacher there are more latin americans than spaniards in the world!! LOL
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

kmmy said:

my teacher always told me to recognise 'se' endings but not to use them as they are more latinoamericano
    lol. i learned spanish from novelas (yeah i know) but some years ago at school i had to choose some extra clases, and the options were spanish and romanian literature, so i chose spanish (ive studied romanian literature anyway in the normal ones ). and as most as my classmates i already knew spanish (the latino american one ) and the teacher was always telling us to not use certain words from the same reason as seydar's teacher. lol they have smth with latin america

seydarr said:

Quote Originally Posted by kmmy View Post
    lol. i learned spanish from novelas (yeah i know) but some years ago at school i had to choose some extra clases, and the options were spanish and romanian literature, so i chose spanish (ive studied romanian literature anyway in the normal ones ). and as most as my classmates i already knew spanish (the latino american one ) and the teacher was always telling us to not use certain words from the same reason as seydar's teacher. lol they have smth with latin america
    despite they tell us not to use 'se' i love south american accent more as it is easier to understand... and i already pronounce most of the words with south american accent like 'yo' and 'ya' etc. compared to southern spanish accent (where i think they speak like a machine gundont take it offensive, but its difficult to understand, especially sevilla) south american accent is much more easier.

seydarr said:

Hi

Those endings are very easy: you just swap the "-ra" for "-se":

si supiera/supiese
    si pudiera/pudiese
    si dijera/dijese....etc.

I'd never heard before that "-se" is more latin american; but I'm not an expert on that so it may be true. But oi, tell your teacher there are more latin americans than spaniards in the world!! LOL
    jajajjajaaj thats true...

and one thing: is it only different in imperfect subjunctive... as far as i remember there was no difference in present subjunctive...

muchas gracias por tu ayuda
  20. dmoney101 said:

In Mexico ppl will commonly say too:

"Ando a la moda" (for us "estoy de moda" means I'm the person who's setting the fashion, and "ando a la moda" means I'm following the fashion).

@Bebe: Woooow! good job with that looooong post
    that makes sense, but i would use toy de moda too. actually, i would say yo toy alante, but i haven't heard anybody outside of RD say that, so we'll just go with estoy de moda :P