Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

citlalli said:

@AnnaFoster:
    Ok.... I have a few un-fun questions....

No esperes a que te presenten. Is there an easy way to grasp why 'a que' is in this sentence?
    I guess it'd be "till" in English: Don't wait till you are introduced. Normally this "no esperes a que "x" + verb in subjunctive " can be translated as both "don't wait till "x" happens"/"don't wait (for) "x" to happen".

Estuvieron saliendo = they were dating? If I wanted to say "they dated" would it just be .....salieron por 5 años.... ? And, is it preterit b/c it has a recognizable start and end?
    I guess yes, you could say "salieron" and it'd still be clear enough. I'd use the progressive tense though, as it stresses that they dated over and over. And yes, I think that's the reason for using preterit.

Is it wrong to say "she can speak spanish / ella puede hablar español" ? Maybe that's something that doesn't directly translate. Well, if your friend can speak some English, has a mixed background or lives close to the border, he/she will probably understand it and even say "puedes" too. But the "traditional" -and as far as I know the only correct- way to say this is using "saber": Sé nadar de mariposa; mi mamá no sabe ingles; mi hermano no sabe cocinar; ellas saben tocar el piano, etc.

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

@AnnaFoster:

By wednesday, we're going to see who'll win the bet.
    Para el miercoles, vamos a ver quien ganará la apuesta. Yes Another common way to say "by x time" is "de aquí a ..." (here for example: de aquí al miércoles...)

There were lots of draws so we'll just have to judge* this particular bet by the points.
    Había/hubo? muchos partidos empatados asi que nomas tendremos que decidir esta apuesta particular por los puntos. Hubo. And you can simply say "empates": Hubo muchos empates, así que nomas tendremos que decidir esta apuesta en particular por los puntos.

*In english, I'd say "judge/juzgar" but in spanish maybe "decide/decidir" is best? I think so too
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.
  3. moni84 said:

Default spanish to english please

disfrute con mi hermana dspue q salio de trabajo ya que mi familia no me aceptava

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by moni84 View Post
    disfrute con mi hermana dspue q salio de trabajo ya que mi familia no me aceptava
    disfruté con mi hermana despues que salio de trabajo ya que mi familia no me aceptaba
    I enjoyed with my sister after I left work 'cause my family do not accepted me
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

x0babiigirlx0 said:

What does klk mean ?? i always hear dominicans say that
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3

Zahra2008 said:

klk?? no volwes??? mmm if it means what I think it can be "calaca" = skeleton / death

x0babiigirlx0 said:

not sure many people say klk ke lo ke

or que lo que ??? but what is que lo que ????

Zahra2008 said:

ohhhhhhh ke lo ke, yes is "que lo que" I think is something like what is what or whats up? or something close lol lol ... sorry Im bad in dominican accent

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Lol no problem Zahra i just didn't put the right words i should have just started with que lo que lol !! thanks =]

AnnaFoster said:

How do I say: " What, you don't wanna wish me luck for tomorrow's game and polish up your dance moves lol?! "
    Last edited by AnnaFoster; 06-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaFoster View Post
    How do I say: " What, you don't wanna wish me luck for tomorrow's game and polish up your dance moves lol?! "
    ¡¿Qué?! ¡¿No quieres desearme (buena) suerte para el juego/partido de mañana y afinar/pulir tus pasos de baile?!

lol Anna
  12. Talby said:

Spanish to English-

"Es un día triste para todos los fans , tu o los chicos no se llevaron nada para el recuerdo? la capa o la varita... aunque creo que nada mejor que ese premio del que me siento parte aunque suene ridiculo! Tengo la suerte de poderte seguir por este medio (twitter) y espero que sigas en contacto con todos nosotros! Realmente nadie pudo hacer mejor ese chico rubio arrogante!"
    "que equipo sigues en el mundial?"

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Talby View Post
    Spanish to English-

"Es un día triste para todos los fans , tu o los chicos no se llevaron nada para el recuerdo? la capa o la varita... aunque creo que nada mejor que ese premio del que me siento parte aunque suene ridiculo! Tengo la suerte de poderte seguir por este medio (twitter) y espero que sigas en contacto con todos nosotros! Realmente nadie pudo hacer mejor ese chico rubio arrogante!"
    "que equipo sigues en el mundial?"
    "It's a sad day for all the fans, you or the guys didn't keep anything as a souvenir? the cloak or the wand?... although I think nothing's better than that prize of which I feel part myself even if it may sound silly! I'm lucky enough to be able to follow you through this means (twitter) and I hope you'll stay in touch with all of us! Nobody was really able to play better (than you) that arrogant blond kid! Which team are you supporting in the World Cup?"

Sounds like a msg for Draco Malfoy
  14. Talby said:

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    "It's a sad day for all the fans, you or the guys didn't keep anything as a souvenir? the cloak or the wand?... although I think nothing's better than that prize of which I feel part myself even if it may sound silly! I'm lucky enough to be able to follow you through this means (twitter) and I hope you'll stay in touch with all of us! Nobody was really able to play better (than you) that arrogant blond kid! Which team are you supporting in the World Cup?"

Sounds like a msg for Draco Malfoy
    así es! haha le adoro!... gracias
  15. lilmami said:

Default Can someone pls translate these for me???

My heart was taken by you... broken by you... and now it is in pieces because of you.

Love is like falling down... in the end you're left hurt, scarred, and with a memory of it forever.

You're the one who broke my heart, you're the reason my world fell apart, you're the one who made me cry, yet I'm still in love with you and I don't know why.

Wanting him is hard to forget, loving him is hard to regret, losing him is hard to accept, but even with all the hurt I've felt, letting go is the most painful yet.

I made a choice to finally let go, because I can't stand the pain, it's time for my last tear to fall and smile again.

I cried today... not because I miss you... or even wanted you... but because I realized I'm gonna be all right without you.

You always say you hate to see me hurt, and you hate to see me cry. So all those times that you hurt me, did you close your eyes?

So... from now on... when you think of me... just remember that I could've been the best thing you ever had.

You asked me what was wrong, I smiled and said nothing, when you turned around and a tear came down and I whispered to myself... everything is.

You wonder why I don't talk to you anymore and please believe me when I say it's not that I don't want to, it's just that everything I want to say I can't tell you anymore.

Sometimes it's better to be alone. No one can hurt you that way.

Sometimes all you need is a broken heart to realize that something even better is right in front of our eyes, just waiting to be found.

You asked me what was wrong, I smiled and said nothing, when you turned around and a tear came down and I whispered to myself everything is.

This time its over I'm keeping my heart, I'm gonna be strong and not fall apart it'll get better, I'll no longer cryin a couple of weeks I won't want to die, I won't want to go back. I'll be able to sleep, it won't hurt so bad and it won't hurt so deep!

I've convinced everyone else that I don't like you and that I don't love you anymore. Now all I need to do is convince myself.

I'm mad at myself, not you. I'm mad for always being nice, always apologizing for things I didn't do, for getting attached, for making you my life, depending on you, wasting my time on you, thinking about you, following you, changing for you, forgiving you, wishing for you, dreaming of you, and most of all... for not hating you which I know I should... but I can't.

Life sucks a lot of the time, huh? But, ya know, if you can get through a heartbreak, you can get through almost anything.

Too often we don't realize what we have until it's gone... too often we wait too long to say "I'm sorry, I was wrong"

Maybe sometimes you just have to say what's in your heart, not just what you think someone wants to hear.

The higher you build the walls around your heart, the harder you fall when someone tears them down.

Time and time again, I forgave you. I've forgiven you for things that I swore to myself I'd never forgive someone for... and here you are, still hurting me, and I still forgave you..

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Talby View Post
    así es! haha le adoro!... gracias
    De nada

citlalli said:

@lilmami: First part:

My heart was taken by you... broken by you... and now it is in pieces because of you. Me robaste el corazón... lo rompiste... y ahora está en pedazos por tu culpa.

Love is like falling down... in the end you're left hurt, scarred, and with a memory of it forever. El amor es como una caida... al final quedas lastimado, marcado y siempre lo recordarás.

You're the one who broke my heart, you're the reason my world fell apart, you're the one who made me cry, yet I'm still in love with you and I don't know why. Tú eres quien me rompio el corazón, eres la razón por la cual mi mundo se derrumbó, eres quien me hizo llorar, y a pesar de ello aun estoy enamorada de ti y no sé por qué.

Wanting him is hard to forget, loving him is hard to regret, losing him is hard to accept, but even with all the hurt I've felt, letting go is the most painful yet. Es difícil olvidar que lo quiero, es difícil lamentar que lo amo, es difícil aceptar perderlo, pero a pesar de todo el dolor que he sufrido, dejarlo ir es lo que más me duele.

I made a choice to finally let go, because I can't stand the pain, it's time for my last tear to fall and smile again. Finalmente decidi dejarlo ir porque ya no aguanto el dolor, es hora de derramar una ultima lágrima y de sonreir de nuevo.

I cried today... not because I miss you... or even wanted you... but because I realized I'm gonna be all right without you. Hoy lloré... no porque te extraño... o ni siquiera porque te quiero... sino porque me he dado cuenta de que voy a estar bien sin ti.

You always say you hate to see me hurt, and you hate to see me cry. So all those times that you hurt me, did you close your eyes? Siempre dices que odias verme lastimada, y que odias verme llorar. Entonces, ¿acaso cerraste los ojos todas esas veces que me lastimaste?

So... from now on... when you think of me... just remember that I could've been the best thing you ever had. Así que a partir de ahora, cada vez que pienses en mi, sólo recuerda que podría haber sido lo mejor que jamás hubieras tenido.

You asked me what was wrong, I smiled and said nothing, when you turned around and a tear came down and I whispered to myself... everything is. Me preguntaste cual era el problema, y yo sonrei y no te dije nada; pero cuando te volteaste, una lágrima salió de mis ojos y me dije a mi misma..."todo está mal."

You wonder why I don't talk to you anymore and please believe me when I say it's not that I don't want to, it's just that everything I want to say I can't tell you anymore. Te preguntas por qué he dejado de hablarte, y por favor creeme cuando te digo que no es que no quiera hablarte, sino que simplemente soy incapaz de decirte todo lo que me gustaría.

Sometimes it's better to be alone. No one can hurt you that way. A veces es mejor estar solo. De esa manera nadie puede lastimarte.

Sometimes all you need is a broken heart to realize that something even better is right in front of our eyes, just waiting to be found. A veces, todo lo que necesitas es tener el corazón roto, pues así te das cuenta de que hay algo mejor justo frente a tus ojos, esperando a que lo notes.

You asked me what was wrong, I smiled and said nothing, when you turned around and a tear came down and I whispered to myself everything is. Me preguntaste cual era el problema, y yo sonrei y no te dije nada; pero cuando te volteaste, una lágrima salió de mis ojos y me dije a mi misma..."todo está mal."

citlalli said:

I gotta go now... I'll do the rest later / tomorrow ... or if someone else wants to do it, it's okay with me
  19. Erito said:

This time its over I'm keeping my heart, I'm gonna be strong and not fall apart it'll get better, I'll no longer cryin a couple of weeks I won't want to die, I won't want to go back. I'll be able to sleep, it won't hurt so bad and it won't hurt so deep!

Esta vez se terminó, estoy guardando mi Corazón, voy a ser fuerte y no caeré me pondré mejor, no llorare mas un par de semanas no quiero morir no quiero volver atrás. Seré capaz de dormir, no lastimara a nadie tan mal y no lastimara tan fuerte

I've convinced everyone else that I don't like you and that I don't love you anymore. Now all I need to do is convince myself.

He convencido a todos los demás que ya no me gustas y ya no te amo. Ahora todo lo que necesito es convencerme a mí mismo/a.

I'm mad at myself, not you. I'm mad for always being nice, always apologizing for things I didn't do, for getting attached, for making you my life, depending on you, wasting my time on you, thinking about you, following you, changing for you, forgiving you, wishing for you, dreaming of you, and most of all... for not hating you which I know I should... but I can't.

Me siento mal conmigo mismo/a, no contigo. Me siento mal por ser siempre amable, siempre disculpándome por cosas que no he hecho, por ser unido/a, por hacer tu vida la mia, dependiendo de ti, desperdiciando mi tiempo en ti, pensando en ti, siguiéndote, cambiando por ti, perdonándote, deseando por ti, soñando contigo, y mas aun… por no odiarte tu sabes que debería… pero no puedo.

Life sucks a lot of the time, huh? But, ya know, if you can get through a heartbreak, you can get through almost anything.

La vida apesta muchas veces, ¿no? Pero, tu sabes si puedes sobreponerte a una ruptura de corazón, puedes sobreponerte casi a todo.

Too often we don't realize what we have until it's gone... too often we wait too long to say "I'm sorry, I was wrong"

Demasiado a menudo no nos damos cuenta que tenemos hasta que se ha ido… demasiado a menudo esperamos demasiado para decir “lo siento, me equivoque”

Maybe sometimes you just have to say what's in your heart, not just what you think someone wants to hear.

Quizás algunas veces solo tienes que decir lo que hay en tu Corazón, no solo lo que piensas que alguien quiere oír.

The higher you build the walls around your heart, the harder you fall when someone tears them down.
    Entre más altas hagas las paredes de tu corazón, más alta será la caída cuando alguien las derriba.

Time and time again, I forgave you. I've forgiven you for things that I swore to myself I'd never forgive someone for... and here you are, still hurting me, and I still forgave you..

una y otra vez, te perdone, te perdono por cosas que juré a mí mismo/a no volver a perdonar a nadie por… y aquí estas, todavía hiriéndome, y te sigo perdonando.

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation!!

why did you act like that before you lied to me and told me you didn't know who that person was and then he lets me see him on webcam and you are standing there laughing in the backround where you playing with me the whole time?

look i don't like these games so if you want to play then we shouldn't talk anymore because that wasn't funny to me i can't believe you lied to me after you said i needed to be honest with you