Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    de na

EDIT: does anybody know what suelta en banda means?
    i think it means "si tu novia te bota" but i don't know what bota means lol
    Suelta en banda is like how boricuas say vete pal carajo but its the dominican version

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by TeAmo06 View Post
    i REAAALLLY want to learn spanish. my bf is from el salvador and his family is always speaking spanish. i hate that i cant talk to them too much and i feel SOO lost. ive been taking spanish in school for 3 years now but i feel like im getting nowhere. my bf teaches me but no matter how hard i practice i still cant have a conversation with him....any tips???
    if u want to speak better... use the stuff u do know and try to make sentences, us latin people are very helpful so if u screw up Im sure your bf will help you out.. but just keep trying and eventually youll get used to it

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by sugarcane View Post
    hey yall - i'm not sure if there's been already a post regarding the word "combo" but can someone tell me what it means? in the song Chevere (Voltio), he says "pa' mi combo de sicarios" at first i thought that meant a gun, but not really?

speaking of aguanile, also, what does "mai" mean really? it's not just in aguanile... someone uses it like, "mi mai" right?
    " mi mai" means "mi madre" thats also something we use in dominican! combo is a boricua word for My crew but sicario in dominican is like a skinny person or someone whos deathly skinny like bulemic!

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by sugarcane View Post
    another song lyric that i can't quite dicipher....

"y no le tengan miedo a la jara porque si yo digo algo fresco"

don't be afraid A LA JARA when i say something fresh...?

what does it mean to have miedo a la jara? la jara se traducido the rockrose en ingles right?

SOMEONE HELP!! Please!
    it means shes not afraid to slap me if I say something dirty/ fresc does mean fresh but its like annoying or something disrespectful

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamiakpartigirl View Post
    tengo una pregunta..
    come se dice estes palabras en ingles..?

-Jevita
    -Enterita
    -Meneate
    -humo amargo
    jevita can mean lke your girlfriend.. NOVIA
    humo amargo- humo is like to be drunk... amargo im not sure
    Enterita- I dont know if u spelled it right

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    A la vez que palabras como esas se traducen a otro idioma pierden bastante el significado pero bueno ahi van:

-Jevita: Can mean a 'fine girl' or 'girlfriend'. i.e. 'Mira la jevita esa' ('Look at that fine girl') or 'La jevita de Julio es comica' ('Julio's girlfriend is funny')

-Enterita: Comes from 'entera' (whole). It means that the girl is 'really fine' (she has the WHOLE package)

-Meneate: Waggle the hips. Move hips or butt in a circular motion. Not the same as shaking.

-Humo amargo: 'Sour smoke'.
    humo amrgo is like being piss drunk... the rest are correct!

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by acacia View Post
    this thread has really come along way, lol.
    so arux; these guys at work always call me 'nalgona'
    or something to that effect. are they referring to my butt?
    lol, muchas gracias ;]

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Hey! In Mexico we also use "joder" in exactly the same way and with exactly the same meanings as in Cuba !!!
    DOMINICANOS TAMBIEN

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by $perrz View Post
    What is banshee rabao or banchee rabao from don chezina ..it goes.. papi dame duro como banshee rabao ...?
    it means daddy give it to me hard to scream like a banshee!!

Zahra2008 said:

de na

EDIT: does anybody know what suelta en banda means?
    i think it means "si tu novia te bota" but i don't know what bota means lol
    Bota... en esta sentencia significa que tu novia termino contigo.....
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dominicanprince269 View Post
    Suelta en banda is like how boricuas say vete pal carajo but its the dominican version
    lol, which i still don't know. i don't talk like a boricua lol

12. boricamami07 said:

lol, which i still don't know. i don't talk like a boricua lol
    U SAiD WHiCH iSTiLL DNT KNO...
    BUT iDNT UNDERSTAND WOT U MEAN...
    iTHiNK U MEAN U DNT KNO WOT 'VETE PAL CARAJO' MEANS...
    iTS JUS LiKE TELLiN SUM1 TO GO TO HELL WEN URE MAD OR iRRATED W/ DEM.

13. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by boricamami07 View Post
    U SAiD WHiCH iSTiLL DNT KNO...
    BUT iDNT UNDERSTAND WOT U MEAN...
    iTHiNK U MEAN U DNT KNO WOT 'VETE PAL CARAJO' MEANS...
    iTS JUS LiKE TELLiN SUM1 TO GO TO HELL WEN URE MAD OR iRRATED W/ DEM.
    yea, that's what i meant. i figured it out a couple days ago when one of my dominican friends explained it to me. thanks

14. boricamami07 said:

Talking

yea, that's what i meant. i figured it out a couple days ago when one of my dominican friends explained it to me. thanks
    o de nada

dominicanprince269 said:

-Giales ('Gial' for singular)- This means 'girls'. I am 90% sure this comes from a Spanish adaptation to the pronunciation of 'girl' in Patua. Listen to Temperature by Sean Paul when he says "Oh lord, girl I got the right tactics to turn you on" to hear it clearly.

-Pelon- The only meaning I know is 'bald'

-Machucando- Means 'smashing'. This is an allusion to the way people dance reggaeton (smashing the girl's rear).

-atabajo (correct spelling is hasta abajo)- go down, or to go down. Usually yelled at girls, or to a couple so they go as low as they can.

Cangri- A person that is respected. Equivalent to saying 'tha man'. This is strictly Puertorican I think.

I hope that clarifies a little . If you want, look for more, I am glad to help...
    giales is actually yales which does mean girls, ladies, women

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquita Nikkita View Post
    i've come across some of those words while translating... but ANYONE is welcome to correct me (please).

Mus- a goodlooking guy
    ojitos- kind of an endearing term for eyes, like cute litle eyes...
    Jangueo- I hang out, from the verb "Janguear"
    Eliel- i do believe that is the name of the man Don Omar sings for.

i have NO idea what Donkeo is...
    once again, if any of this is wrong, sorry, but im just tryin to help. Corrections R great!
    Donkeo is like to dunk but depending on how its said it means donk like the souljah boy song she got a donk!

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquita Nikkita View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the word "setió" means? it looks like the past tense of a verb i don't know, and can't find anywhere. Also, is "disco" slang for something, becuase it doesn't make sense in the context of this song. (the song is vampira by Yaga & Mackie, by the way).
    Disco is slang for club

dominicanprince269 said:

can anyone tell me what maquina de cotorra means? toxic crow calls himself that, but it doesn't make sense to me.

literally it's "parrot machine" lol. Even using the slang version of cotorra (a girl that talks to much) it sounds wrong.
    cotorra is any one in general who talks to much but makina de cottora is someone who talks way to much like a robot who was made to talk

dominicanprince269 said:

The only way I can think of makes sense is if he was born in a place called Cotorra. If it was a machine to make parrots it would be 'maquina de cotorras', in plural. I also noticed that in Google, "Maquina de Cotorra" appears with a capital "C", which also points to the fact that it might be a place.
    cotorra is not a place in la republica dominicana manito! toxic crow is from los minas, santo domingo

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by dominicanprince269 View Post
    cotorra is not a place in la republica dominicana manito! toxic crow is from los minas, santo domingo
    Oh cool, but look there's a place lol http://nona.net/features/map/placede.../La%20Cotorra/