ΡΕΜΠΕΤΙΚΑ;

Thread: ΡΕΜΠΕΤΙΚΑ;

Tags: None
  1. phyllis said:

Default ΡΕΜΠΕΤΙΚΑ;

Γεια σας! After a week of sneaking around your lines, getting more and more amazed and excited that I've found some people like me, I've finally made up my mind that I should drop by to say 'κι εγώ είμαι εδώ'. I can't exactly remember when and why and how I took to Greek music and Greek language. I guess that all started almost two decades ago when my parents brought a couple of cassettes for me from Greece. There was no such thing as CD back then!!! I remember how I enjoyed that soulful music of Vamvakaris, Tsitsanis, Kaldaras and many other rebets. The smoky tones, the bitter joy in rebetiko just grabbed my soul and haven’t let go ever since. Then time went by, CD was invented, and so was the Internet which is still a mystery to me, and I got more and more fascinated by Greek music, language and culture.

In fact, there's nothing to be surprised about that. I mean, Greek music is no stranger to Turkish ears and neither are Greek language and culture. Similar words, similar music and dances, similar dishes, similar appetite for life with all its joy and tragedy. I have a couple of Turkish friends who live in the States. Unfortunately, there are no Turkish restaurants or bars where they live. So whenever they are homesick and in the mood for “κέφι” and desperately in need of some ‘raki’ and ‘meze’, they run to the nearest Greek tavern, offer a bottle of ‘ούζο’ and some ‘μεζεδάκια’ and as they hum the familiar melody that is being played, they say, they feel like ‘Thank God! It feels so much like home!’. It quite ironic though, considering all those unpleasent issues between the two countries ( Not worth mentioning a word of it! All is in the past!), that a Greek restaurant is the perfect place to alleviate the homesickness of a Turkish person!!

Anyway, I’ve gone far beyond my intentions to write this post. Enough of peace talk! Let’s get to business..So it seems that you guys have a large repertoire of Greek songs. Frankly, I’m not that familiar with the more POP ones. I have no idea what is going on in the Top 10 lists in Greece or in Turkiye or in any other countries. Forgive me for that..I guess that’s all because I’m an old woman…very close to “the half of the road”, as a Turkish poet says. OK, here comes my request..There’s this song, an old rebetiko, όταν πέσεις σ’άλλα χέρια and it’s sung by ΓΙΩΤΑ ΛΥΔΙΑ. It’s been my favourite for so long...Giota Lidia’s voice and the song itself just cheer me up and lighten up my day but I really want to know the lyrics and also what she’s talking about .( whether there’s anything to cheer about really!!) So I would be so grateful if someone out there could send me the lyrics and the translation. I can read the Greek alphabet so no need for Latin letters. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. azimut said:

... ...

Hello "phyllis" ... !!! ...

It is quite "pleasing" to "hear that our ... "semantics" ... in this "Forum" are "able" to "reach" other "beings" from all "kinds" of "walks-of-life" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

On that "note", allow me to "applaud" your excellent "command" of BOTH, English" AND "Greek" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

"Rempetika", indeed, may "have" that "effect" on the "human ear" and subsequently, "soul" of a "being" ... whether, they are "heard" on an "older generation - casette" or, on a "prolific and hip - CD", ... or, even more effectively, "live" at a "καπηλειό" (kapilio) ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

It never "seizes" to amaze me how "truthful" are, in fact, your "words" regarding the "familiarity" of "Turkish people with anything Greek" ... !!! ... ... ...

And, as a "Greek-speaking Cypriot in a foreign country", I too, have been "satisfying" my "homesickness" in "Turkish Restaurants", having "Fetta" and/or "Halloumi" cheese and ALL kinds of "meals" from "home" ... !!! ... ... ...

In "reference" to the "unpleasant issues" ... they are ALSO "part of Life" and as such, "worth discussing" ... if NOT for any other reason, atleast in order to "acknowledge" them, as "examples of avoidance" ... !!! ... ... ...

As a "being", I "acknowledge" a "need" FOR and OF "creating" ... "rapport" ... (id est, "the sense of mutual understanding and sympathy"), with my "fellow human beings" ... !!! ...

And I "believe" that, ... "COMMUNICATION" ... is the "means", for "that" to BE ... "achieved" ... !!! ... ... ...

(Having "said" that, I must STRONGLY "point-out" that I CERTAINLY do NOT "endorse" ... "Maciavellianism" ... !!! ... and this is "out of conviction" !!! !!! !!!)

As a FIRM "believer of communication" and as an UTTER "craver for connection", I "value" ... "story-telling of experiences" ... IMMENSELY ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

And as in "Greek" ... "ιστορία" ... is to "mean" ... "tale", ... "story", ... "history" ...
    ... and as, ... "experiences" and "history" are ... "what has happened in the past" ...
    ... I am "obligated" to NOT "leave" it "all in the past" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

... and NOT in order to "dwell" in it, or "be drowned" in it, NOR to "promote vengeance", or "fortify hatred", or even "perpetuate the hurt" ... ... ...

... BUT (AND), to "offer" ... "ease of mind" ... so as, "atonement" and "forgiveness" may "ensue" and hence, ... true "healing" flow ... !!! ... ... ...

And "talking" about going "beyond intentions to write this post" ... !!! ... ... ...

As far as your "request", ... there are PLENTY VERY ADEPT people around, as I am "sure" you "observed" yourself, but (and) to "name" a few ... "tzina772000", "panselinos", "omorfi" ... that are "providing for ALL of US" ... !!! ... ... ...

{... you "know" it και "σας φιλώ πολύ-πολύ" ... !!! ...}

So, ... here I am FINALLY "signing off" ... !!! ... ... ...

All the best,

Azim

... ...

To be is to do - Plato
    To do is to be - Socrates
    Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra

3. phyllis said:

Dear Azim,

Wow…that was long!! Very illuminating and very sincere indeed!! I really appreciate that you have given some thought to what I’ve written and spare some time to elaborate on them..

To start with, I should thank you for appreciating my “excellent command of English”…Well, what can I say? It’d better be so..That’s my job. I teach English!!! Still, it seems that my active vocabulary wouldn’t come near yours!! Quite naturally! Όσον αφορά τα ελληνικά μου…well, that was really motivating! I’m still very elementary but I take the job very seriously…learning Greek is my personal challenge… I learned everything completely by myself, with my own efforts.. no teachers, no courses..Only the Internet, a few grammar books, CD-roms, dictionaries and me, myself. We’ve come that far..and the applause from a native speaker means a lot.. Αυτό λέει πολλά!

What means a lot more is that you seem to cherish and value the cultural bond between Turks and Greeks as much as I do. But I feel the need to clarify a few things about those “unpleasent issues” that are (not) “worth discussing”. I think I’ve misled you with my short and vague statement, which would be much more detailed and explanatory if we weren’t talking in a forum about music. That’s why I simply cut it short. I wouldn’t even think of suppressing or ignoring the bad memories of the past. I’m not a person who would “leave it all in the past”, but on the contrary, I’m a person who left her soul in the past and is fascinated , even obsessed with anything related to history. Why do you think rembetika has such a deep influence on me? That’s not only because I like the songs and the melodies but also because it was born out of one of the biggest tragedies in history, you know, the big population exchange in 1924. So I am quite fond of history, and a great believer in the power of history to enlighten today and tomorrow. I definitely agree with you that we must discuss all kinds of unpleasent issues! We must talk to understand each other better...We must talk to empathize and to be able to feel sorry for the sorrow that we have caused in each other’s lives and, more importantly we must talk to see the reality-that is, not to be fooled ever again by governments that encourage a feeling of fear of our neighbours and by some powers who benefit from a continuous state of hostility and hatred and do anything to maintain such an atmosphere. We must listen to each other’s stories through books, films, songs or one-to-one communication, just like we are doing here now. Communication is definitely the only remedy.

See?? That’s what I was trying to avoid when I “cut it short”!!! Isn’t that too much politics for a music forum?? And speaking of music, no one seems to care about my beloved Giota Lidia and her “όταν πέσεις σ’άλλα χέρια”. It’s OK though. Δεν πειράζει.
    I guess rembetika is not a very popular subject around here. I haven’t seen many threads about it either.

Τέλος πάντων, τώρα πρέπει να πάω. It was nice meeting you Azim. ( “azim” means “ambition” in Turkish, by the way!!)

Αντίο
    Phyllis

omorfi said:

Phyllis,

I tried to find those particular lyrics, but I couldn't. I'm sorry, I really really wish I could give you the lyrics. We don't care about what's "popular" or not, we usually do the "work" if it's possible... And I guess maybe someone else can come to your "rescue".

I believe music is one of the few things that really influence the soul and spirit.. it allows you to dream, remember, cry, laugh, sing, dance, simply live...

I'm happy to "see" you here!!
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

5. phyllis said:

Hello Omorfi,
    Thank you for at least giving it a try. I've tried to find the lyrics myself for so long but it's really hard because it's a very old song and there are only one or two albums where the song appeared. I guess I will have to wait until my Greek improves a little more so that I can clearly understand what I'm listening to!!Or I'll just go to Greece and get the album!!Thanks a lot again.

6. dya said:

Welcome Phyllis!
    The same as Omorfi, I've been looking for those lyrics everywhere I knew I could have a chance. I wasn't successful at all... I am sorry I can't help you, but there are many wonderful people in here, and maybe one of them knows the song, or has it and listens to it and can provide you with what you asked for.

Meanwhile, I am downloading some songs of this singer, as you made me curious. So, thank you for pointing at something new for me to find out. And rembetika is not at all ignored around here. Maybe not too much talked about, but definitely acknoledged and cherished.

I am deeply impressed by the way you introduced yourself in here, I'm glad you found this place worthy enough to give it a try... And I just want to tell you, that at least on the Greek lyrics section there is, aparently no subject that could not be disscussed. People in here do communicate and greek music was and is the one who offered us the opportunity to meet and to "grow" together in here. We are all in love with greek music, language, culture...everything and we talk about these whenever we find a good pretext. And there are no subjects 'too serious for a lyrics forum" cause actually all we talk here adds to our being who we are.

Welcome, and please share whatever else was on those tapes your parents brought you from Grece. Some of us here are dying to find out new sources of "enlightment" in the greek music...

And, please do come back! Conversations between you and Azim offer us a great delight in witnessing! And learning from !

7. azimut said:

... ...

"Phyllis" mou ... !!! ...

Thank you ever so much for your "message" ... !!! ...

I want to "properly respond" to it and for "this to happen", I "need" a considerable more time than, a "few moments" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

... as my "deliberation" usually "drifts" me to all kinds of "planes" ... !!! LOL !!! ...

Nevertheless, I DID want to "say" ... even a "short" version of ...

... "Hello" ... and "thank you" ... and "truly looking forward to our meeting and conversations in the Forum" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

... ό,τι καλύτερο !!! ...

Azim

(I was not "aware" of the "Turkish meaning" ... teşekkϋr ederim ... *υ*)

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

8. azimut said:

... ...

By the way, ... "dya" is our ... "marvel" ... of a "Greek language student" in "here" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

... she "went" ... "from nought to ... interpreting Greek lyrics" ... in just over TWO MONTHS ... !!! !!! !!! ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

9. dya said:

Παρακαλώ, Αζιμ μου... I'm blushing...

10. phyllis said:

Hi dya,
    Thank you so much for your efforts. If you are downloading Giota's songs, try "su mou xarakses poreia" I like it...starts like a fado and continues like a tango..a beautiful melody..I'm very pleased that you weren't bored with my looooong posts and those ISSUES Azim and I were talking about!!In fact I'm not very used to writing in forums. I'm still having a hard time getting used to expressing myself with short and precise statements. I'm more like a"letter-writer" with pen and paper!!I should think and think and think! Write slowly, then erase, and write another one..I am old. Yes that's the only explanation! I warn you I can drive you nuts! But I'll be delighted to be around as frequently as I can and share anything related to Greek music, culture, language, or even English grammar(!!) , just anything with you..And as a marvel, perhaps you could help me with my Greek so that I will be able to translate the lyrics of “όταν πέσεις σ’άλλα χέρια"!!Thank you again for your warm welcome...

11. azimut said:

... ...

Well, some "things" are ... "easier" to "say" ... some "easier to relate through a song" ... !!! ... ... ...

If it is what is "resonating" in the "heart" ... the "soul of being" ... then, it is the ... "truth" ... !!! ... ... ...

"This" is one of mine ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

12. dya said:

Phyllis, if you've come to honest moments, I have to tell you that I'm the chief -in-charge with driving people nuts around here! So...no need to worry! LOL!

I am not a marvel, but I'll be more than honoured to share my little knowledge with you. We'll study together.

As for english grammar...please don't even go there...the two of us have the same proffesion, therefore talking about english grammar would mean for us to start exchanging tons of materials!!! LOL!

13. azimut said:

... ...

And "phyllis" mou ... you are NOT the ONLY ONE with ... eeerr ... "OLD HABITS" ... "here" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

(!!! LOL LOL LOL !!!)

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

14. azimut said:

... ...

... ... ... a "marvel" ... ... ...

... you are ...

... eşti ...

... είσαι ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

15. phyllis said:

Oh my God dya! You're an English teacher too? That's surprising indeed. Then we'd better ignore this exciting piece of information. I'll see you in an English teachers forum!! Still, how would you deal with teaching participles in a......No no just kidding!!

16. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by phyllis View Post
    Oh my God dya! You're an English teacher too?
    Yes, but don't tell anyone...I'm a student in here...

Then we'd better ignore this exciting piece of information.
    Ναι, ναι! I glady agree to that!

Still, how would you deal with teaching participles in a......No no just kidding!!
    Phyllisssssssss!!! Still....How would you deal with an 11-years old who....NO, NO ...just kidding!!! LOL!

Kalinixta, Phyllis...

17. azimut said:

... ...

... "phyllis" mou ... !!! ...

As "promised" in "Mission Impossible 2" ... (I just "love" the whole "saving a demzel in distress" ... "stuff" ... ... !!! LOL !!!) ... ... ...

... "here" ... (finally) ... "following" ... your "request" ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

... ό,τι καλύτερο ...

Azim

... ...

written and compossed by Apostolos Kaldaras

Όταν πέσεις σ' άλλα χέρια

Ό,τι είχα σου το χάρισα
    νιάτα, αγάπη και στοργή
    μα εσένανε αχάριστε
    πες μου τι σε συγκινεί

σ' έναν έρωτα πικρό
    τότε μοναχά θα νιώσεις
    πόσο άξιζα εγώ
    Φύγε κι όπου θέλεις πήγαινε
    με το ζόρι δεν σε κρατώ
    Για καρδιά που δεν μ' αγάπησε
    δεν λυπάμαι, δεν πονώ

Είπα να σε κάνω άνθρωπο
    σύντροφό μου στη ζωή
    μα γι' αγάπη τόσο όμορφη
    δεν επλάστηκες εσύ

σ' έναν έρωτα πικρό
    τότε μοναχά θα νιώσεις
    πόσο άξιζα εγώ
    Φύγε κι όπου θέλεις πήγαινε
    με το ζόρι δεν σε κρατώ
    Για καρδιά που δεν μ' αγάπησε
    δεν λυπάμαι, δεν πονώ
    δεν λυπάμαι. δεν πονώ ... ... ...

To be is to do - Plato

18. phyllis said:

Ax Azim....Ax Azimmmm....You're the best!! You've made me deliriously happy!! You're a marvel!!!!!!!!! You're a savior!!!!!!!!! It's so incredible that you haven't given it up and finally made it..You must be someone with a deep sense of responsibility...right? I really appreciate your effort. Thank you so much...with my deepest and sincerest gratitude..........Γεια χαρά....

19. azimut said:

... ...

... this is EXCELLENT "STUFF" ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

... I am ever so "delighted" you were "happy", "phyllis" mou ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

(... THAT is the "true" ... "PLEASURE" ... isn't it ?!? ... as "tutors", I am "sure" you "understand" the "pleasure of handing down ... knowledge" ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...)

Well ... actually, ... I "found" an "old CD" from my "collection" ... had a "listen" to it ... "wrote it down for you" ... ... ... !!! ... ... ...

(... I "personally" like ... "Γιατί θες να φύγεις" ... from what I am "aware" of "her work" ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...)

... ... ... ό,τι καλύτερο !!! ... ... ...

Azim

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

20. phyllis said:

Bre Azim...Did you really write it down ?? That's very kind and cute......Now I'm downloading the one you've mentioned.I hadn't heard of it...thank you for sharing. And about the pleasure of sharing knowledge...Yes, I totally agree with you..The joy of sharing what you know with a being who would derive pleasure from learning it, or at least somehow benefit from it, is the greatest gift of teaching...Thank you so much again..Γεια!