Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    yea i know, but there's only like 3 puerto ricans and one dominican in the whole city. they rest are either mexican or central american, so we all say chota

dang, i was gonna look into it until you said that. there's no way im gonna pay to have that installed
    Lol I hear ya man!

It's worth it though...you can do it yourself....it's not that hard! it's just not that easy! lol
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

2. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Lol I hear ya man!

It's worth it though...you can do it yourself....it's not that hard! it's just not that easy! lol
    i would if you could just put it on top of all the stuff in your trunk. i'm not tryin to strip it down jaja

bebestylee said:

i would if you could just put it on top of all the stuff in your trunk. i'm not tryin to strip it down jaja
    dude it's just a few panels....it's not a big deal....it reality it should only take you about 25 mins to do the trunk. Some people Dynamat the whole car...you don't hear a single vibration...at allll
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

4. dmoney101 said:

dude it's just a few panels....it's not a big deal....it reality it should only take you about 25 mins to do the trunk. Some people Dynamat the whole car...you don't hear a single vibration...at allll
    i'll look into it. i've been drivin without puttin my system where i like it (at 55, it's been turned to about 40) and it sounds weird. it's so damn quiet, i hate not having my seat massaging my back jaja

damarys said:

dmoney.... is this your car?????

So... the vibrations are on purpose! Ah... I understand now.

Zahra2008 said:

guys... I dont want to be mean... but we have a chit chat thread... this is only for slang clarifications...

please!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

damarys said:

Hi Zahra! Please don't call la jarra on us!

Back to slang.....

8. BAGurl said:

haha, zahra is right...

following on you guys on the slang, in argentina we call the cops:

la gorra
    la yuta
    la poli
    la cana
    los azules (only in some parts of the country)
    rati (A single cop is "un rati", only used by criminals and it's really insulting)

and other words for money

dinero
    plata
    guita (this one is common slang)
    billete
    mango (equivalent for "buck")
    sope (reverse of "peso", the national currency)

@dmoney: que garron flaco!!!! sorry to hear that you had trouble

9. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    dmoney.... is this your car?????

So... the vibrations are on purpose! Ah... I understand now.
    jaja, sony xplod products are some of the worst in the market. i'd hate to have that system :P
    it's not THAT bad, but i got 90% of the people in my city beat jaja

eg1218 said:

Back home we call the cops "Los Camarones" and "La Jara" . And a "chota" or "chotión" is a snitch. We also call pennies "perras" or "perritas". Apparently in Ponce (according to my ex) quarters are called "fichas", dimes & nickles are called "bellón de diez" and "bellón de cinco". In the northwest where I'm from, however, we call quarters "pesetas" or other slangs like "cuara" and "pejeta". And dimes & nickles are called "dime" and "bellón" respectively.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post
    Back home we call the cops "Los Camarones" and "La Jara" . And a "chota" or "chotión" is a snitch. We also call pennies "perras" or "perritas". Apparently in Ponce (according to my ex) quarters are called "fichas", dimes & nickles are called "bellón de diez" and "bellón de cinco". In the northwest where I'm from, however, we call quarters "pesetas" or other slangs like "cuara" and "pejeta". And dimes & nickles are called "dime" and "bellón" respectively.
    Hey, pesetas were the previous currency we used here in Spain before the adoption of the actual currency, the euro. I miss my dear pesetas

Back to the slang here we say for money

- pasta, guita, tela

and for the police

- la poli, la pasma, los maderos, los picoletos

damarys said:

Hmmm... "los maderos"... is that because police carry a club?

I really can't figure out where "la jara" came from. I'm interested in the stories of how the terms came to be.

Money seems to be easier to understand. Terms like "tela, "lana", "mango" and "pasta". Those make sense.

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    I really can't figure out where "la jara" came from. I'm interested in the stories of how the terms came to be. .
    Yea I don't know where that came from either....but it's used in one of my fav song!

"Que se joda la jara, Moldea las pistolas, los peines con las balas....y vamo alla, que yo tengo una dama, un pal de blones y bellaquera que no baja...que no baja!"

-Maicol y Manuel

14. dmoney101 said:

Yea I don't know where that came from either....but it's used in one of my fav song!

"Que se joda la jara, Moldea las pistolas, los peines con las balas....y vamo alla, que yo tengo una dama, un pal de blones y bellaquera que no baja...que no baja!"

-Maicol y Manuel
    what's pal mean? as a matter of fact, i don't understand most of that sentence. damn pr slang jaja

bebestylee said:

what's pal mean? as a matter of fact, i don't understand most of that sentence. damn pr slang jaja
    lol....yeah I hear ya! lol

well the jsst of that part is:

"Que se joda la jara=>F*ck the police, Moldea las Pistolas, Los Peines con las balas=>Grip the guns and put the bullets in the clips, Y vamo alla, Que yo tengo una dama=>and Let's go over there, because I have this chick, un pal de blones y bellaquera que no baja, que no baja=>a couple blunts and this horniness that won't go away...won't go away!

16. dmoney101 said:

lol....yeah I hear ya! lol

well the jsst of that part is:

"Que se joda la jara=>F*ck the police, Moldea las Pistolas, Los Peines con las balas=>Grip the guns and put the bullets in the clips, Y vamo alla, Que yo tengo una dama=>and Let's go over there, because I have this chick, un pal de blones y bellaquera que no baja, que no baja=>a couple blunts and this horniness that won't go away...won't go away!
    so pal is just a few? so it's kinda like un chin for me then, aight. i've started to get used to mexican spanish lately and all this slang is confusing jaja

bebestylee said:

so pal is just a few? so it's kinda like un chin for me then, aight. i've started to get used to mexican spanish lately and all this slang is confusing jaja
    un Pal...would actually be like a couple...or a few

Un chin would be a little bit...

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    well, you already wrote some that I know... other that I remember now are: "devaluados", "feria", "luz"...
    I remember more slang for money: "morralla", "marmaja"

and for police/cops, well I live near to the fronter so we call to the border police "la migra"

Zahra2008 said:

un Pal...would actually be like a couple...or a few

Un chin would be a little bit...
    I am not sure about pal... but for me "un chin..." means a lot of, plenty of!!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    I am not sure about pal... but for me "un chin..." means a lot of, plenty of!!
    Just another example of how slang changes between countries! lol