Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

damarys said:

This may not be exactly what y ou need but at the very beginning of this thread, there is the beginning of a very nice list with some great explanations from one of our resident experts (who I miss hearing from!). Check it out!
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sp...fications.html

viciousz_love said:

thanks ! most of those i'm familiar with especially janguear haha

because i was listening to my friends parents talk to each other, ones from DR the others from PR and it was like lots of slang i didn't understand haha.

i also heard that dominicans tend to drop letters and mix things up a bit like when they say like las sillas rojas they totally leave out the 's'. i don't know if this is true but this is what i heard. and that they make up new jargon constantly.

also that they shorten things one example i found online is the taco 'ta 'co'ta'o which pans out to be taco esta acostado. i've always spoken with the shortened form of estar, but does the rest of the shortened words stand true? some examples i've heard in music like in Down by Rakim y Ken-y.

"Pensando si me amas, yo que te he ama'o
    Como nadie, como loco, amores como el mío pocos hay
    Duermo solea'o, rocha'o porque te has marcha'o "

even though i guess that could just be so the music works.

arux said:

Hello guys. I took a little trip to Mexico to stay at a girl's house. We went to see Wisin y Yandel, it was awesome. Gente de Zona opened the show. Good to be back and well, keep the slang coming :P Here's two pics from that day:

http://www.imagecross.com/06/image-h...64f73b0f02.jpg

http://www.imagecross.com/06/image-h...f3c308d7e9.jpg
    Last edited by arux; 08-26-2008 at 06:09 PM.

4. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by viciousz_love View Post
    thanks ! most of those i'm familiar with especially janguear haha

because i was listening to my friends parents talk to each other, ones from DR the others from PR and it was like lots of slang i didn't understand haha.

i also heard that dominicans tend to drop letters and mix things up a bit like when they say like las sillas rojas they totally leave out the 's'. i don't know if this is true but this is what i heard. and that they make up new jargon constantly.

also that they shorten things one example i found online is the taco 'ta 'co'ta'o which pans out to be taco esta acostado. i've always spoken with the shortened form of estar, but does the rest of the shortened words stand true? some examples i've heard in music like in Down by Rakim y Ken-y.

"Pensando si me amas, yo que te he ama'o
    Como nadie, como loco, amores como el mío pocos hay
    Duermo solea'o, rocha'o porque te has marcha'o "

even though i guess that could just be so the music works.
    all of that is right. i'll break down the way i talk (which is pretty much dominican)
    r before other vowels usually becomes an l. Tu no me tiene harto, tu me tiene halto.
    -ado becomes -ao (Tu me tiene sofocao)
    s is dropped before vowels and at the end of words (not estes, digo "ete")
    r is dropped at the end of words a lot (deci not decir)

for taco esta acostado, i would say "taco 'ta acotao"
    the shortenings for estar are
    'toy
    tu ta
    ta
    tamo
    utede tan y ello tan

a lot of times, words that start with es-, i just drop it. (not estomaga, digo tomaga, estaba becomes taba, etc)

instead of voy a, i say voa, or wa

that's about all i can think of for now. oh yea, they talk really, really fast. i can't even come close to fast as them, and i still have to slow it down for most native speakers

viciousz_love said:

that clears up a lot.
    i love the carribean culture especially that of pr and dr.

6. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by viciousz_love View Post

that clears up a lot.
    i love the carribean culture especially that of pr and dr.
    dr is the best! if you've got any questions about anything in DR ask me, i'll probably know and if i don't, i've got a friend from La Capital who can help me/you out

cuttiepie12 said:

Question

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    Some confusion comes because many people, including me, dont put the tildes when typing on the computer because you would have to be pressing Alt+Numbers to say á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ etc... People know what tense it's in because of the context.

Using 'comprar' as an example, if you want to say 'I bought a car', the correct spelling is 'yo compr(é) un carro', but even if you say 'compr(e)' without the tilde, it is nowhere close to the present 'compr(o)', so it's easy to figure out it's in past tense, just like you figured out that the song only made sense if it was in present tense, because 'you like me to bought you flowers' is not correct.
    how do you use the tildes? i dnt know how to get them above my letters.

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by cuttiepie12 View Post
    can someone translate this song into english plz? its Toma Nena by Baby Rasta
    u must request a song translation in a new topic, not here.... this topic is only for slang clarifications.... dont wanna sound mean .... but also we have to respect the rules......
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

viciousz_love said:

fuletear from the song welcome to my crib by randy la nota loka

"... tengo un party en casa, en la sala fuletea entonces vamonos pa mi cama ..."

br!@nn@ said:

do you know what the slang 4 MICRO is? I know the correct tranlation is bus but i want 2 know what the slang for it is , i think its mexican cus itz in this song
    "El dolor del Micro"
    "The pain of __?__"
    ~Todo Cambio~

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by br!@nn@ View Post
    do you know what the slang 4 MICRO is? I know the correct tranlation is bus but i want 2 know what the slang for it is , i think its mexican cus itz in this song
    "El dolor del Micro"
    "The pain of __?__"
    judging from the rapper's accent, he's obviously chicano, so it's either chicano or mexican. Micro might be a place or person. i can't find anything about it though, sorry

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by br!@nn@ View Post
    "El dolor del Micro"
    "The pain of __?__"
    micro can have a loooot of meanings...

nickname
    micro of microphone
    micro of microbus
    micro can also in spanish means very small

but maybe in this sentence, micro its a nickname

13. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    micro can have a loooot of meanings...

nickname
    micro of microphone
    micro of microbus
    micro can also in spanish means very small

but maybe in this sentence, micro its a nickname
    that's what i figured, but i wanted to let a mexican verify it

cuttiepie12 said:

Smile

u must request a song translation in a new topic, not here.... this topic is only for slang clarifications.... dont wanna sound mean .... but also we have to respect the rules......
    ok thanx for telling me im kinda new to this webssite

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by cuttiepie12 View Post
    how do you use the tildes? i dnt know how to get them above my letters.
    alt 160 = á

alt 130 = é

alt 161 = í

alt 162 = ó

alt 163 = ú

alt 129 = ü

alt 164 = ñ

alt 165 = Ñ

16. TINK190 said:

Quote Originally Posted by TeAmo06 View Post
    i REAAALLLY want to learn spanish. my bf is from el salvador and his family is always speaking spanish. i hate that i cant talk to them too much and i feel SOO lost. ive been taking spanish in school for 3 years now but i feel like im getting nowhere. my bf teaches me but no matter how hard i practice i still cant have a conversation with him....any tips???
    well, my spanish has always been really broken.
    my advice; listen to latin music and watch novelas.

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by TINK190 View Post
    well, my spanish has always been really broken.
    my advice; listen to latin music and watch novelas.
    watch soap operas.... lol... but its really helps

18. dmoney101 said:

watch soap operas.... lol... but its really helps
    i love soap operas because i stay laughing when i watch them. they're sooo over dramatic jaja

19. peewe_e said:

Cool

yo ppl well im from puerto rico so yeah spanish its my primary language and reggaeton its my musik so if u have any questions just let me know!

20. Shak said:

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by peewe_e View Post
    yo ppl well im from puerto rico so yeah spanish its my primary language and reggaeton its my musik so if u have any questions just let me know!
    hola peewe_e! Soy de Canadà pero pronto voy a ir a vivir en Puerto Rico!! Sé que tendré dificultad con el acento y el slang de allà jajaja! Francés es mi primer language y hablo también inglés! Any advise?