More 110 Lyrics

Thread: More 110 Lyrics

Tags: None

partizanka said:

Wow, nice attention to detail. Thank you!

I do have some (a lot) questions...

Quote Originally Posted by SiLvEr_MooN View Post
    Önemsiz benim söylediklerim = Benim söylediklerim önemsiz (not “Önemsiz şeylerimi söyledim” as you seem to got it) > What/The things I say is/are unimportant
    A few things confused me here. First is how Turkish can use adjectives like 'Önemsiz' to act like nouns- but I see here it is not that way. Second- I was also confused by why used the word 'benim' since 'söylediklerim' already showed 1st person.
    Is 'söylediklerim' here a noun and not a verb? (i.e. it means "the things I say")

Bilirim alışır insan zamanla > Nothing is wrong here but I’m a bit confused, is it “with time” or “in time” that means in the course of time?
    Both mean the same thing. I think "in time" is more common, but I like to be uncommon and slightly awkward, as you know.

Üzüldüm, “Hayat bu” dedim. > Missing punctuation marks makes Turkish harder
    It doesn’t saw “Üzgündüm (I was sad)” but “Üzüldüm (üzülmek, to get sad”, so “I got sad would be more correct. “Hayat bu” dedim > “That is life” I said
    Missing punctuation in Turkish lyrics drives me insane. I couldn't figure out how "hayat bu" fit in. Thanks.

Yaşayıp öğrenmeliyim = Yaşayarak öğrenmeliyim > I need to live (it) and learn it
    Is there any difference? I quite liked the difference I "made up" when I did it (live and learn vs. learn to live).

GÖLGE

Unutulmuşum > I’ve been forgotten (if it was “UnutulmuşTum”, I was forgotten would work)
    I'm not sure I see the difference in English. Why must Viva be in Portugal right now??!!

Bir hikaye, tanıdık > Without an comma, it would be too much inversion even in Turkish but here, he/she/it/they () don’t/doesn’t say “Tanıdık bir hikaye (a familiar story)” but first says the noun and the adjective later on. Literally “A story, familiar,” but “A familiar story is better, as you see.
    Okay, so is the -dık ending here a gerund(as Berry mentioned before)?
    And/Or it makes it an adjective here?

DiliMin ucunda > On the tip of my tongue. This idiom is almost always used in first person singular as you can only know the tip of your own tongue
    Speak for yourself. I knew you were gonna say that so I guess I knew the tip of your tongue.

Acı vermiş daha fazla = Daha fazla acı vermiş> It gave more pain/It hurt more
    Every time I see -m- in the suffix, I also wonder if it means to make the word negative (i.e. didn't give)... I don't think it should be confusing, but somehow it is to me.

Great work Partz, as usual
    Thank you. Ditto!

VivaPalestina said:

Great work guys sorry Zaza but I dont think I would have been of any more help

partizanka said:

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Great work guys sorry Zaza but I dont think I would have been of any more help
    Thanks. Are you back now or still on the continent?

VivaPalestina said:

Depends what you want hayir im back in snowy London missed me?

berrytr said:

[QUOTE=partizanka;811755]Wow, nice attention to detail. Thank you!

I do have some (a lot) questions...

*A few things confused me here. First is how Turkish can use adjectives like 'Önemsiz' to act like nouns- but I see here it is not that way. ÖNEMSİZ İNSANLAR- UNİMPORTANT PEOPLE(ADJ) / ORADAKİ İNSANLAR ÖNEMSİZDİ - PEOPLE THERE WERE UNIMPORTANT
    IT S LIKE SOME PEOPLE LIKE SWIMMING/ SOME LIKES SWIMMING.

**Second- I was also confused by why used the word 'benim' since 'söylediklerim' already showed 1st person.
    Is 'söylediklerim' here a noun and not a verb? (i.e. it means "the things I say") SÖYLEDİLKERİM IS ' VERBAL-GERUNDIAL .' AND YES IT MEANS 'THE THINGS I SAID' . IT S A QUESTION I ASK TO MYSELF WHY WE USE IT MAY BE JUST FOR 'EMPHASIZE' ?

***Bilirim alışır insan zamanla > Nothing is wrong here but I’m a bit confused, is it “with time” or “in time” that means in the course of time?
    Both mean the same thing. I think "in time" is more common, but I like to be uncommon and slightly awkward, as you know. AS THE TIME PASSES

****Yaşayıp öğrenmeliyim = Yaşayarak öğrenmeliyim > I need to live (it) and learn it

Is there any difference? I quite liked the difference I "made up" when I did it (live and learn vs. learn to live). YAŞAYIP/ YAŞAYARAK HAS NO DIFFERENCE IN 'THESE PHRASES . ' THE BOTH ACTIONS ARE DONE 'AT THE SAME TIME) BUT I GUESS -IP MEANS SHORT TERM GENERALLY AND, -AYARAK DEFINES A LONGER TERM .BUT UR SENTENCE IS NOT A GOOD ONE TO CLARIFY THE NUANCE. I WILL EXPLAIN THIS NEXT TIME WITH ANOTHER BETTER EXAMPLE .( ALSO IF U FIND ANY OTHER VERBALS LIKE THIS YOU CAN SHARE IT WITH US

*****GÖLGE

Unutulmuşum > I’ve been forgotten (if it was “UnutulmuşTum”, I was forgotten would work)
    OFİSTE SAATLERCE BEN KONUŞULMUŞUM ( IN THE OFFICE I WAS TALKED FOR HOURS )
    OFİSTE SAATLERCE BEN KONUŞULMUŞTUM/KONUŞULDUM (IN THE OFFICE I WAS TALKED FOR HOURS- I WAS 'PROBABLY' THERE IN THE OFFICE AND HEARD THEM TALKING ABOUT ME ) BUT I M NOT SURE IF TENSES MAKE DIFFERENCE HERE

******Bir hikaye, tanıdık > Without an comma, it would be too much inversion even in Turkish but here, he/she/it/they () don’t/doesn’t say “Tanıdık bir hikaye (a familiar story)” but first says the noun and the adjective later on. Literally “A story, familiar,” but “A familiar story is better, as you see.

(BİZ)BİR HİKAYE TANIDIK ( WE KNEW A STORY ) -DIK,DİK , DUK,DÜK ,TIK,TİK,TUK,TÜK : ALSO MEANS PAST TENSE 1ST PLURAL PERSON ( GİTTİK, GÖRDÜK, YAPTIK, OKUDUK...)
    BİR HİKAYE, TANIDIK = TANIDIK BİR HİKAYE (A STORY, FAMILIAR (WHICH IS FAMILIAR) = A FAMILIAR STORY) : GERUND HERE

*******Every time I see -m- in the suffix, I also wonder if it means to make the word negative (i.e. didn't give)... I don't think it should be confusing, but somehow it is to me. U THINK SO PROBABLY BECAUSE ,-ME,- MA IS NEGATION :d
    HUH BİTTİ

partizanka said:

Amazing wonderful Berrytr- the girl who translates and explains everything perfectly the first time - Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by berrytr View Post
    ****Yaşayıp öğrenmeliyim = Yaşayarak öğrenmeliyim > I need to live (it) and learn it
    YAŞAYIP/ YAŞAYARAK HAS NO DIFFERENCE IN 'THESE PHRASES . ' THE BOTH ACTIONS ARE DONE 'AT THE SAME TIME) BUT I GUESS -IP MEANS SHORT TERM GENERALLY AND, -AYARAK DEFINES A LONGER TERM .BUT UR SENTENCE IS NOT A GOOD ONE TO CLARIFY THE NUANCE. I WILL EXPLAIN THIS NEXT TIME WITH ANOTHER BETTER EXAMPLE .( ALSO IF U FIND ANY OTHER VERBALS LIKE THIS YOU CAN SHARE IT WITH US
    Sad. But I'm sure I'll find other examples. To be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by Berrytr
    *****GÖLGE

OFİSTE SAATLERCE BEN KONUŞULMUŞUM ( IN THE OFFICE I WAS TALKED FOR HOURS )
    OFİSTE SAATLERCE BEN KONUŞULMUŞTUM/KONUŞULDUM (IN THE OFFICE I WAS TALKED FOR HOURS- I WAS 'PROBABLY' THERE IN THE OFFICE AND HEARD THEM TALKING ABOUT ME ) BUT I M NOT SURE IF TENSES MAKE DIFFERENCE HERE
    Again, I still really don't know if there's a difference in English either. Since Viva has given up, I don't know who can explain it. But in Turkish at least, your explanation makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Berrytr
    *******Every time I see -m- in the suffix, I also wonder if it means to make the word negative (i.e. didn't give)... I don't think it should be confusing, but somehow it is to me. U THINK SO PROBABLY BECAUSE ,-ME,- MA IS NEGATION :d
    HUH BİTTİ
    Yes, that is why it confuses me...
    Bitti? Ha, that's what you think!

Thanks Berry.

And yes, Viva, but of course you were missed.

berrytr said:

Is this curse of people who study language to translate and explain all ?
    As it was taught us, i m sure silver moon will agree with me ! :
    and -muştum again always reminds me the phrases start with ' when i was a child ' . aa yes how i could forget this.. -miştim is PAST PERFECT ! ( just remembered )

SiLvEr_MooN said:

Quote Originally Posted by partizanka View Post
    A few things confused me here. First is how Turkish can use adjectives like 'Önemsiz' to act like nouns- but I see here it is not that way. Second- I was also confused by why used the word 'benim' since 'söylediklerim' already showed 1st person.
    Is 'söylediklerim' here a noun and not a verb? (i.e. it means "the things I say")
    I agree with berry here as I, too, think that “benim” is used to emphasize that it is no one’s but my words that are unimportant. In “Benim söylediklerim önemsiz”, “önemsiz” is the predicate, it is a noun sentence as the predicate is a noun, not a verb. “Söylediklerim” is clearly not a verb, a noun but I honestly don’t know what kind of a noun it is “Söylediğim” is a verbal adj. when we use it as “söylediğim şarkı (the song I sing/sang)” and a noun when we say “Söylediğim önemsizdi zaten (What I said was already unimportant)”. And we can shortly say “söylediklerim” instead of “söylediğim sözler” if the person that we are talking to knows/is likely to understand what we are talking about.

Is there any difference? I quite liked the difference I "made up" when I did it (live and learn vs. learn to live)
    I need to learn and live > Here, the first action is “learning” and “living” comes second.
    I need to live (it) and learn it > But here, the opposite. He will live and get experience and then will learn it.

I'm not sure I see the difference in English
    “Unutulmuşum” & “UnutulmuşTum” > In perfect tense, it may mean “I’m still not remembered by anyone” and in past maybe “I was forgotten then but now they remember me” Viva?

Tanıdık bir hikaye > As you must be seeing () “tanıdık” explains what kind of a story it is and the story is a “familiar” one. It is a verbal adjective.
    Verbal adj. suffixes are:
    -en/an (ağlayan çocuk, crying kid/baby),
    -ası/-esi (öpülesi eller, the hands that should be kissed),
    -mez/maz (unutulmaz bir film, an unforgetable film,
    -er/ar (koşar adım, with fast/hasty steps
    -dik/dık (tanıdık bir yüz, a familiar face)
    -ecek (gelecek zaman, yapılacak işler (the work to be done)
    -miş/mış/muş/müş (çürümüş meyveler, rotten fruits – söylenmemiş sözler, unsaid words )

These suffixes are abbreviated as a sentence so as to make it easier to remember them and the sentence is “An-ası mez-ar dik-ecek-miş” means sth like “His/her mother told that she would dig a grave”

Every time I see -m- in the suffix, I also wonder if it means to make the word negative (i.e. didn't give)... I don't think it should be confusing, but somehow it is to me
    Acı vermiş daha fazla > There is nothing to be confused with the negative suffixes here, they are only –me/ma

Missing punctuation in Turkish lyrics drives me insane. I couldn't figure out how "hayat bu" fit in
    You can rarely see punctuation any punc. marks in lyrics

VivaPalestina said:

Zaza I think ayim is trying to say by I was forgotten there is the implication that we do not know yet whether he still is forgotten or not, but in I have been forgotten its more of a permenant state?

Sorry dostum, its not that clear cut in english I was forgotten works just as perfectly

SiLvEr_MooN said:

Yes Viva, that was what I was trying to say, thanks.
    Btw, I hate perfect tense!

partizanka said:

Wow, Professor, thank you!

I agree with berry here as I, too, think that “benim” is used to emphasize that it is no one’s but my words that are unimportant. In “Benim söylediklerim önemsiz”, “önemsiz” is the predicate, it is a noun sentence as the predicate is a noun, not a verb. “Söylediklerim” is clearly not a verb, a noun but I honestly don’t know what kind of a noun it is “Söylediğim” is a verbal adj. when we use it as “söylediğim şarkı (the song I sing/sang)” and a noun when we say “Söylediğim önemsizdi zaten (What I said was already unimportant)”. And we can shortly say “söylediklerim” instead of “söylediğim sözler” if the person that we are talking to knows/is likely to understand what we are talking about.
    Great explanation, I appreciate that a lot.
    And 'söylediklerim' is the nouny kind of noun. (Trust me, I looked it up. )

“Unutulmuşum” & “UnutulmuşTum” > In perfect tense, it may mean “I’m still not remembered by anyone” and in past maybe “I was forgotten then but now they remember me” Viva?
    Okay, this difference makes sense to me when you explain it this way. In English, I must admit defeat; I really don't see the difference between "I was forgotten" and "I've been forgotten."

And really really thank you for the verbal adjective suffixes; that should make your work that much easier in all future translations of mine that you will so kindly edit.
    Just to clarify, what's the difference between endings -er/ar and dik/dık:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoş çakal

SiLvEr_MooN said:

Just to clarify, what's the difference between endings -er/ar and dik/dık:
    You are welcome Partzzzzzzzzz!
    Why are ou asking the difference between these two but not of any other? They are different suffixes like the rest

partizanka said:

You are welcome Partzzzzzzzzz!
    Why are ou asking the difference between these two but not of any other? They are different suffixes like the rest
    Cos I wanted to make you .

Actually those were the two that I couldn't see an obvious difference in meaning.
    Here's what I understood from your examples, although I am sure I am wrong with some of them at least:

-Verbal adj. suffixes are:
    -en/an (ağlayan çocuk, crying kid/baby)
    >>>> This ending shows an action being done by the noun, i.e. which kid?- the one that is crying. So, "speaking girl" > konuşan kız (?)

-ası/-esi (öpülesi eller, the hands that should be kissed) >>>> shows an action should be done. 'Girl who should speak' > konuşası kız (?)

-mez/maz (unutulmaz bir film, an unforgetable film>>>> makes the adjective negative. "non-speaking girl (girl not speaking at the moment)>>>> konuşmaz kız (?)

-ecek (gelecek zaman, yapılacak işler (the work to be done)>>>> expresses future. 'girl who will speak'- konuşacak kız (?)

-miş/mış/muş/müş (çürümüş meyveler, rotten fruits – söylenmemiş sözler, unsaid words )>>>> shows past (i.e. the fruits have already become rotten)(?)

These two I am not sure I understand how they would be used differently. Except if the -er/ar is to show how something is done. (like an adverb).
    I don't know if this made it any clearer. Sorry.

SiLvEr_MooN said:

To be frank, I've never thought about their function individually and I don't think any student has We don't analyse them in this way at school
    This may be helpful: http://www.edebiyatdergisi.hacettepe...nsalOzunlu.pdf
    Only konuşan kız, konuşacak kız and your observation of -müş are correct.

I think adjectives ending with "-mez/-maz" are not used for human beings:
    eg. dönülmez akşam (irreversible evening), tükenmez kalem (lit. noending pencil, pen), görünmez kaza (lit. unseeable accident, unexpected accident)

I think, again, that -dık/-dik suffixes has a past meaning like "-mış/miş..."
    eg. batık şehir (sunken city) Gezmedik yer bırakmadık. (Lit. We left no place unvisited, we went everywhere)
    These may be a bit advanced level but just to let you see:

-Yaptığınız işi bize anlatır mısınız? > Could you tell us the work you have done?
    Yap-tığ-ın-ız
    -yapmak > To do/to make
    -tık > the suffix we are dealing with (you know
    -ın > your suffix
    -ız > formal your suffix

-İnsan sevdiği kişilerle mutlu olur. > A human being becomes with the ones he loves.
    Sev-diğ-i
    sevmek > to love
    -dik
    -i > Accusative suffix

-Tanıştığım adam eski bir futbolcudur. > The man I met is an old footballer.

Tanı-ş-tığ-ım
    tanımak > to know, to recognise
    tanışmak > to meet
    -tık
    -ım (my suffix)

-Başladığın işi bitirmelisin. > You should finish the job you've started.
    Baş-la-dık-ın
    baş > beginning
    başlamak > to begin/to start
    -dık
    -ın > your suffix

Check the link!