children's song: "We all ride on the school bus..."

Thread: children's song: "We all ride on the school bus..."

Tags: None
  1. simnia said:

Default children's song: "We all ride on the school bus..."

OK, since a lot of people are posting kids' songs, that all reminded me of a song I remember from elementary school in New York state from around 1962-1963. It was in a book of songs we used to sing, and it was my favorite from that book. I never heard it again after I left that school, and despite searching childrens' songs books for a few years in the '80s, I never came across it, though I did find some similar ones I'd been seeking from slightly later years.

The lyrics are the following, and the meter is 6/8, which has sort of a rocking back-and-forth feeling. I've emphasized every 3rd syllable below by capitalizing those syllables, to give a better idea of how the words fell on the beats. For the musically inclined, I've also included the I-IV-V chords just before the syllables where the chord changes fell.

[I] WE all RIDE on the SCHOOL BUS, it ?DRIVES (?us) to SCHOOL each [V] DAY,

WE all RIDE on the SCHOOL BUS, ? ?-? ?each [I] WAY.

[I] ?GIVE ?us ?some ?PA-per and CAN-dy, ? ?-? ?-[IV] ?

WE all RIDE on the [I] SCHOOL BUS, [V] ?RIDE ?EACH [I] ?WAY.

If I can figure out how to record my guitar onto my laptop without spending a lot of money, I'll record the melody for you and post it to this thread. Let me attempt to show the rhythm a little better below, but the result might be ugly. I'll put the beat number before each syllable of the first line of lyrics.

(1) WE (2)(3) all
    (4) RIDE (5) on (6) the
    (1) SCHOOL (2)(3)
    (4) BUS (5)(6) it
    (1) ?DRIVES (2)(3) to
    (4) SCHOOL (5)(6) each
    (1) DAY (2)(3)
    (4)(5)(6)

I haven't done a Google search on this for a few years, but I'll do that again after I post this. I just wanted to post this while it was fresh in my mind. There were about 3 verses, but I remember only fragments of the first verse.

2. simnia said:

OK, I finally got around to recording myself playing the melody (on guitar) to this song I remember, and I posted it on YouTube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsvTLYslssY

Now we have the melody, chords, many of the lyrics, year, genre, and likely title. I can't believe this is so hard to identify/locate, but apparently it is!