Please Help: This is driving me INSANE

Thread: Please Help: This is driving me INSANE

Tags: 80's, beat, doot, female, upbeat
  1. Misterknite said:

Sorry Wolves I should have specified the "doos" are actual vocal "doos" not played on a piano. I was just trying to get the notes out there. The rhythm is different too; Bob Seger is / / / / / / / /. All quarter notes. The song I'm trying to figure out is quarter notes for the first four, then eighth notes for the last four(/ / / / ////), repeated throughout the chorus. Thank you for looking though! I really appreciate it.

You know what? I don't think that I'm looking for the same song as cmoore but I'll keep looking for both anyhow.

Been streaming 80s radio.. something's gotta turn up!

2. Wolves773 said:

is it sweet dreams by marilyn manson.?

i really can't think of any others but i'll keep searching.. = )

3. Wolves773 said:

yea, Misterknite, i'm sure you'll find it sooner or later. = )

4. cmoore3001 said:

Sorry myself everyone. I, too, should have specified that the "doo's" from earlier were also vocal. If it helps any, the vocals match the actual song, for the most part. I think in music notation it would be:

Q= Quarter note
    E= Eighth note
    S= Sixteenth Note
    *= Half step longer

TEMPO(BPM) = 100-130

4/4: Q Q E E E* Q Q Q E E E S S Q Q

Eventually, I'll come up with some notes so everyone can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
    Thanks again everyone!

5. wurzlsepp said:

just came up in my mind
    Des'ree - Life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZO49LNp3_4

6. pianoman74 said:

4/4: Q Q E E E* Q Q Q E E E S S Q Q
    Telling from the rhythmic structure, something must smell seriously fishy here.
    E* is supposed to mean "half step longer than an eighth," thus representing a dotted eighth that obviously has got a value of three 16th notes tied together.
    However, the adjoining Q makes no sense to me because it would have the value of four 16th notes; if you take the rhythm as (heavily) syncopated, and subtract 1/16th for the tie (E*__Q), you'll be left with YET another E*! Tried to sing or play this to no avail -- mission impossible.

For a starter, could you please put in BAR lines (e. g. '|') so that we know where the new bars begin?
    Last edited by pianoman74; 04-16-2011 at 12:38 PM.

7. cmoore3001 said:

Indeed you're right pianoman. I was in the middle of class when I typed that. But even with that change, do you have any idea of what I'm talking about?

8. pianoman74 said:

No, sorry.
    Please try to rewrite this line when you do NOT have to attend classes and when you have time for concentrating on the matter.
    Any careless mistake can make the identification impossible, so writing something down "on the hoof" with one eye on the sheet of paper and the other on the teacher makes no sense at all, since we'll be none the wiser after all (as you could clearly see)
    Diligence is actually the key here.

9. Misterknite said:

I found the one I was looking for! "Romantic Traffic" by Spoons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubMfPh7URs

Right at the chorus:
    "Doo doo doo doo doodoodoodoo, doo doo doo doo doodoodoodoo! Rooooomaaaaaantic Traffic..."

Still no luck on your's cmoore sorry.

10. cmoore3001 said:

Well, at least one person lucked out, LOL. In any case, here is a (hopefully correct) rewrite of the above notation:

|Q Q E E E* E*| Q Q E E E S S | Q Q (Repeats after this a few times)|

I think it's right this time...

11. pianoman74 said:

No, close but no cigar.
    Sorry to be a pain but if you're SURE that's a 4/4 measure, all notes MUST match with that measure within one bar. Alas, they don't!
    Always make sure they do. If not, you need to redo your counting. (Now you know what drummers have to go thru when they're learning stuff!)

"Q Q E E" is two quarter notes, and two eighths. = 3 full beats (of 4)
    But your two E* clearly add up to 3 sixteenth notes + 3 sixteenth notes = 6 sixteenth notes.
    And 6/16 = 3/8. You cannot fit 3/8 in the last beat: that's not possible.
    Tricky eh?
    Well, musical notation of rhythmical, heavily syncopated phrases IS nothing for the faint of heart.

With a decent sort of imagination, I see a resemblance (hey, I didn't say it's that!) of your rhythm to the rhythm of a sped-up rendition of "Lola" by the Kinks. If you can confirm that the rhythmic structure is at least similar, we might already advance 2 steps at one time.
    Last edited by pianoman74; 04-18-2011 at 06:29 PM.

12. cmoore3001 said:

Actually I don't mind at all pianoman. I learned more about notation know than I ever did in 8 years of music/marching band practice.

13. Surewhynot said:

The lyrics you posted don't match to this, but it sounds like the beats match up: Tom Tom Club "Genius of Love"