Need translation of Kiraç song - Evlerinin önü mersin

Thread: Need translation of Kiraç song - Evlerinin önü mersin

Tags: None
  1. yasemin55 said:

Default Need translation of Kiraç song - Evlerinin önü mersin

If someone could give the english translation i'd be grateful. ( I saw after posting that this is an old folk song so i just need the translation no matter who sings this

Thanks so much for your help in advance Cok sagol.

Evlerinin Onu Mersin

Evlerinin önü mersin
    Ah sular içmem gadınım tersin tersin
    Mevlâm seni bana versin

Al hançerini kadınım vur ben öleyim
    Ah kapınızda bi danem, kul ben olayım

Evlerinin önü susam
    Ah su bulsam da gadınım çevremi yuğsam
    Açsam yüzünü baksam dursam

Last edited by yasemin55; 04-23-2011 at 06:06 PM.

2. xoNuraox said:

Ill try my best, I think its a different dialect thats why some of the sentences seem unfamiliar to me!

Evlerinin önü mersin
    The front of there house is in mersin? (Not quite sure!)
    Ah sular içmem gadınım tersin tersin
    Oh I wont drink water my woman* reverse reverse?
    Mevlâm seni bana versin
    May God give you to me
    Take the dagger my woman and hit me so I die
    Oh at your door my only one**, let me be use to you

Evlerinin önü susam
    If I became thristy at the front of the house
    Ah su bulsam da gadınım çevremi yuğsam
    Oh if I found water, my woman if I touch (your?) face
    Açsam yüzünü baksam dursam
    If I open, look at your face and stop

Take the dagger my woman and hit me so I die
    Oh at your door my only one, let me be use to you

* Ive translated gadinim to kadinim (My woman) as i assumed it was the word prounounced in a different dialect
    ** Ive done the same here and translated it to bir tanem (my only one)

A new version will come out for a turkish show "Fatmagulun sucu ne?"
    Let my breath find a place in your heart. Let my life be destroyed by your love.

3. yasemin55 said:

Default Re: translation

Many thanks. I'm curious to see what the FG version will be like. Maybe modern Turkish ? The FG english forum is very excited about seeing the 2 lead actors sing this together ( if the tips were correct ). The Turkish fellow who does the english subtitles for us every week will also have the fun of translating the song One thing i have learned about the turkish language is that words even as ordinary as thank you convey different meanings depending on the circumstance. Again many thanks.

4. xoNuraox said:

Hopefully they don't change it too much, and believe me I'm excited too. I cannot wait to hear engins singing voice
    Im waiting impatiently for the trailer...

and rica ederim canim
    Let my breath find a place in your heart. Let my life be destroyed by your love.

5. yasemin55 said:

Default Re: FG

Quote Originally Posted by xoNuraox View Post
    Hopefully they don't change it too much, and believe me I'm excited too. I cannot wait to hear engins singing voice
    Im waiting impatiently for the trailer...

and rica ederim canim
    Haha another FG fan I LOVE this series. I'm trying to learn a bit of turkish from it but i'm also very addicted - the acting and story are so amazing and so real that the characters feel like family. It's miles beyond anything produced here in north america. One of the forum members from whatisfatmagulsfault ( for english-speaking fans ) went to Istanbul last week and saw engin and beren on the set - she's going to post pics on the forum soon If i get back there i'll offer engin some esl tutoring lol

6. bkilinc said:

Hi All,
    It is very hard to translate a poem, especially a century old one, from rural Isparta, Turkey; but i'll give it a shot, as I looove this turku (song ) and I grew up not far from there:
    It will be a roundabout explanation of the meaning of the song(according to my humble interpretation), more than a literal translation, which would not mean much.
    Evlerinin onu mersin(Literally "in front of their house, there is a mersin tree)
    Mersin is a kind of tree as well as a city in Southern Turkey, but here it is the tree. This line is a "filler" which is common in Turkish folklore poems. It sets up a rhyme for the next lines, so may not mean much. But here actually it does. You have to understand the circumstances under which this song was written, a century ago in a small village in Turkey where life was strictly conservative and it's not like you could exactly go and ask someone out. Dating or unmarried love was punishable and unacceptable. Here he is actually giving a hint of who the song is about, or who he is secretly in love with, in hopes she may hear the song and figure out that he is in love. How is that for a start
    Ah sular icmem gadinim, tersin ah tersin(I don't drink water, my woman, you are sweating and sweating)
    He is watching her from a distance, possibly at hard labor on a field and is sorry for her suffering under the sun. Out of symphaty he cannot drink water while she is suffering(look this is my interpretation, may be totally off, but i do not know what else it could mean. About "gadinim" xoNura is right on the spot ; it is the local way of saying "kadinim", =my woman))
    Mevlam seni bana versin (May God give you to me) not much to say on this
    Al hanceri gadinim, vur ben oleyim(Take the dagger, my woman, stab me, let me die)
    Ah kapinizda bidanem kul ben olayim(or let me be a servant/slave at your door)

So this whole part is saying, basically, as long as God (Mevlam means my God, or My Allah) will give you to me, I'll accept anything, I am yours, you can make me a slave at your door, or just kill me , I am willing for anything , only if I can be yours and you can be mine. Now this part is fantastic when it is said in Turkish, and brings tears to my eyes sometimes.
    Evlerinin onu susam (In front of their house there is a sesame tree/bush) again, hinting at who the loved one is, without giving her name but kind of her address
    Ah su bulsam da gadinim, cevremi yusam (If only I could find some water, and clean/wash my cevre) a "Cevre" is a traditional scarf like cloth men (used to) wear around their head.He is possibly a poor kid, (otherwise he would just ask her father for her hand in marriage and this song would never come to be, so unfortunate for him, fortunate for the rest of us). He is a worker, a simple farmer, and he is embarrassed of his dirty "cevre" while passing in front of her house.
    Acsam yuzunu, baksam dursam(Only if I could unveil your face and stare and stare) This is key. In a traditional rural turkish wedding, she would definitely wear a veil and conceal her face, until after the wedding night, when they are finally alone, the groom gives her a gift, maybe a jewel or gold, and ceremonially unveils her face, and they have their first night together. Here he is saying, if that ever happened, I would just stare at your face (instead of making love to you) and that would be enough for me. I just want to stare and stare at your face...

The rest is the same as above Now a little more info on this:

So this song, is also called Isparta Zeybegi. It was "discovered" in the 1940 s in Gonen, Isparta by Mustafa Sarisozen, a monumental figure in Turkish folk music, who was a music major that was appointed by the government to travel around the nation and "collect " unknown folk songs.He heard it from a man called Kadir Acar, also nicknamed Kadir Cavus (sergeant Kadir) and captured the lyrics and put the song in notation, so generations can enjoy it.I do not know if Kadir wrote it, or he just knew it and played and sang it to Sarisozen. Most "Turku"s do not have a known composer.
    For my money, one of the best interpretations of this fantastic song is by Okan Murat Ozturk, on youtube, check it out.

Very cool that folks in North America are interested in Turkish folklore, it is incredibly rich and amazingly sensual. By the way, I have never seen an episode of Fatmagul'un sucu ne? but maybe will chek it out one of these days

7. sissima said:

Default Amazing, thank you.

Dear yasemin55,

This was really amazing, I loved this song just the way it was sang, I didn't know the meaning, but now, I m totally in love with it, and yes it makes you cry, I watch turkish serials from time to time, believe me they are all amazing! Especially Fatma gulun suçu ne? It is fantastic, everything about it is just great!

I am from Morocco, and to be honest I ve been captivated by Turkish folk songs and instuments.
    And the best part of this, is that I can get meaning translation and not only words', because I know in tukish songs there are huge ans sensunal meanings, thank you so much for this awesome translation, and thanks to all other friends for their good work. At least they are trying to make us understand the words.

Thank you again very much.

Sissima.

8. sissima said:

Sorry, this was for bkilinc.

Thank you