Desperate...Indie post/punk band...been searching 16 years, but no dice.

Thread: Desperate...Indie post/punk band...been searching 16 years, but no dice.

Tags: 90s, obscure, pixies, post-punk, reward
  1. puerco said:

Default Desperate...Indie post/punk band...been searching 16 years, but no dice.

I've been preserving these song fragments in my memory for so long...and I'm not sure I

really have any faith left that I'll find it. For the first time in 16 years I've ever

turned to a community-forum for help, and I think I've finally reached the end of my rope.

This being my final mission to identify the "ghost band" haunting my memory, I will be going

into excruciating detail for both posterity and due diligence. Here it goes.

At college in 1995, a girl I met - who was into a lot of similar bands as me [1] - and I

made cassettes for each other. One day she just vanished...right after I forgot the name of

the band she had given me on an unlabeled tape. I *think* I remember it only having four

songs...no more than five or six [2]. And man did it rock...I wore the crap out of that tape

within a year.

SINGER: Male. Lower register a little like the lead singer from Cake. He wasn't the best

I've heard, but he fit in perfectly with their sound.

DRUMS: Tight snares, precise meters...not at all like the pervasive "grunge" drumming of

that era marked by excessive pushy-pully fills and splashiness. like late 70's Talking

Heads.

RHYTHM GUITAR:
    Thrashy, but not what I would have considered "punk". Power chords with distortion and

compression...jagged and paranoid in tone. Bright, warm and feverish like early Pixies

material but somehow not quite as minimalistic.

LEAD GUITAR:
    When the other guitar was played low and chunky, the lead would be high and smooth and vice

versa, as if the two musicians were dogfighting over a sonic rubicon.

BASS:
    Plonky and unsubtle. Something I liked about Kim Deal's playing as well, maybe that's what I

liked.

Every song sounded different than the one before it, and here's what I remember about four

of them, in the order they played:

Song I:
    Uptempo, but not as fast as the one that would follow. The only lyrics I remember:

"...and when you're whisperin' you're hollerin...and when you're hollerin you're

whisperin!..."

Song II:
    First the bass for about a measure...the melody is panicky and tense. Then the drums snap

into place upon the second measure while the bass continues. Then the lead guitar adds a

hook on top of that, and it's almost like a **** Dale style riff, only in fuzzy dry tone and

not twangy. The verse starts, the vocals come in...and I don't remember any of them EXCEPT:

"{something that rhymes with bird}...(and/but/'cause) that's the word."
    Crash, and the process starts over...but the second time through, the lead riff is played an

octave higher than it did the first time. That's all I gots.

Song III:
    I may not have the order of songs perfect at this point, but I know that *this* song was not

first nor last. It wasn't my favorite either, it's almost entirely a drum solo. It's

transitional, leading up to the last one I remember...the final piece day rezis-taunce.

Song IV:
    4/4 Time. All instruments start simultaneously. Main melody hook is carried by the bass.
    Here are the words I think I remember:

"[3] Could be the cold [4] bright morning...
    {something something ***-eeving...}
    {something something something...}
    {...thing so [5] decieving} (main hook)

[1] She and I both liked the Pixies. I remember that she turned me onto PJ Harvey, and I

exposed her to Pavement.
    [2] I've reached the point of second guessing my memory fragments, and it's possible that

I'm only remembering the four I found the most salient.
    [3] "Could" may have been "would" or "should". Or all three on different verses, no specific memory.
    [4] "bright" may have been "white" or "light" (though "bright" feels a little more correct).
    [5] Or possibly ---iving/misgiving, ---aving/craving, ---eeling/feeling...I just don't know anymore.

If anyone here is actually able to solve this puzzle, i will find a way to reward you. I just thought of that part, so I don't yet know exactly how, but I'll work on it.

Eric

2. Claybricks said:

Quote Originally Posted by puerco View Post
    I've been preserving these song fragments in my memory for so long...and I'm not sure I

really have any faith left that I'll find it. For the first time in 16 years I've ever

turned to a community-forum for help, and I think I've finally reached the end of my rope.

This being my final mission to identify the "ghost band" haunting my memory, I will be going

into excruciating detail for both posterity and due diligence. Here it goes.

At college in 1995, a girl I met - who was into a lot of similar bands as me [1] - and I

made cassettes for each other. One day she just vanished...right after I forgot the name of

the band she had given me on an unlabeled tape. I *think* I remember it only having four

songs...no more than five or six [2]. And man did it rock...I wore the crap out of that tape

within a year.

SINGER: Male. Lower register a little like the lead singer from Cake. He wasn't the best

I've heard, but he fit in perfectly with their sound.

DRUMS: Tight snares, precise meters...not at all like the pervasive "grunge" drumming of

that era marked by excessive pushy-pully fills and splashiness. like late 70's Talking

Heads.

RHYTHM GUITAR:
    Thrashy, but not what I would have considered "punk". Power chords with distortion and

compression...jagged and paranoid in tone. Bright, warm and feverish like early Pixies

material but somehow not quite as minimalistic.

LEAD GUITAR:
    When the other guitar was played low and chunky, the lead would be high and smooth and vice

versa, as if the two musicians were dogfighting over a sonic rubicon.

BASS:
    Plonky and unsubtle. Something I liked about Kim Deal's playing as well, maybe that's what I

liked.

Every song sounded different than the one before it, and here's what I remember about four

of them, in the order they played:

Song I:
    Uptempo, but not as fast as the one that would follow. The only lyrics I remember:

"...and when you're whisperin' you're hollerin...and when you're hollerin you're

whisperin!..."

Song II:
    First the bass for about a measure...the melody is panicky and tense. Then the drums snap

into place upon the second measure while the bass continues. Then the lead guitar adds a

hook on top of that, and it's almost like a **** Dale style riff, only in fuzzy dry tone and

not twangy. The verse starts, the vocals come in...and I don't remember any of them EXCEPT:

"{something that rhymes with bird}...(and/but/'cause) that's the word."
    Crash, and the process starts over...but the second time through, the lead riff is played an

octave higher than it did the first time. That's all I gots.

Song III:
    I may not have the order of songs perfect at this point, but I know that *this* song was not

first nor last. It wasn't my favorite either, it's almost entirely a drum solo. It's

transitional, leading up to the last one I remember...the final piece day rezis-taunce.

Song IV:
    4/4 Time. All instruments start simultaneously. Main melody hook is carried by the bass.
    Here are the words I think I remember:

"[3] Could be the cold [4] bright morning...
    {something something ***-eeving...}
    {something something something...}
    {...thing so [5] decieving} (main hook)

[1] She and I both liked the Pixies. I remember that she turned me onto PJ Harvey, and I

exposed her to Pavement.
    [2] I've reached the point of second guessing my memory fragments, and it's possible that

I'm only remembering the four I found the most salient.
    [3] "Could" may have been "would" or "should". Or all three on different verses, no specific memory.
    [4] "bright" may have been "white" or "light" (though "bright" feels a little more correct).
    [5] Or possibly ---iving/misgiving, ---aving/craving, ---eeling/feeling...I just don't know anymore.

If anyone here is actually able to solve this puzzle, i will find a way to reward you. I just thought of that part, so I don't yet know exactly how, but I'll work on it.

Eric
    ??

FIREHOSE– FROMOHIO {1989}

Song #1 Whisperin' While Hollerin'

Song clip...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QZTPL4/

http://www.discogs.com/fIREHOSE-fROMOHIO/master/30212

Dan

3. puerco said:

Holy Mother-Father Chinese-Dentist Chattanooga Dancing Baby Polyester Santa Claus Helmet Partially Wrapped in a Lime-Green Polyester Fuselage Tarp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Have Got To Be Cuffing Spitting Me...This is actually IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan, you are the grand master of all things everywhere, ever, and I am little more than the silica gel packet one throws away rather than eats. Pick an album from the Amazon catalog and tell me where to gladly have it expedite shipped. You have made my millenium.

And to reinforce the lesson I've been taught, I will regularly visit this forum and do my part to try and help others.

Eric

4. Claybricks said:

Quote Originally Posted by puerco View Post
    Holy Mother-Father Chinese-Dentist Chattanooga Dancing Baby Polyester Santa Claus Helmet Partially Wrapped in a Lime-Green Polyester Fuselage Tarp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Have Got To Be Cuffing Spitting Me...This is actually IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan, you are the grand master of all things everywhere, ever, and I am little more than the silica gel packet one throws away rather than eats. Pick an album from the Amazon catalog and tell me where to gladly have it expedite shipped. You have made my millenium.

And to reinforce the lesson I've been taught, I will regularly visit this forum and do my part to try and help others.

Eric
    Eric,

I'm glad I could help find your song!

Thanks very much for the gift!!!

Dan

5. jp12345 said:

Yes, Dan is awesome. And FYI the rest of the songs are:

2 = What Gets Heard
    3 = Let the Drummer Have Some (I'm assuming...)
    4 = Understanding