Need english vocabulary!

Thread: Need english vocabulary!

Tags: None

mamama said:

Default Need english vocabulary!

Hi everybody

I'm French and I'm trying to understand a tricky's and massive attack's song called 'Eurochild' but there are some words or expression I can't translate.

If you can't translate it in French, could you just explain, give a definiton of the words?

Here are the expressions I can't understand :
    "Sitting in my daycare"
    "Helter skelter"

Thx for the answers

2. Sanz Fan said:

Default Sitting in my Daycare

Okay, well i don't know what the rest of the song is about. But 'daycare' is where parents take their children to be taken cared of when they are busy. Like when they go to work, and the child is too young to go to school, they take the child to 'daycare'.

Hope this helps =)

3. Cantante said:

Default helter skelter

helter-skelter means "carelessly hurried and confused"

it's a state of mind; the way you feel. it's not a commonly used phrase.

these words are synonymous (they nearly have the same meaning) that you should translate into French

turmoil; haphazard

4. Sandy said:

You might also wish to check out this link for some interesting information regarding the word "helter-skelter" : http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/inde...?date=19990818

mamama said:

=) Thanks a lot for the help I think I understand the lyrics now !

mamama said:

I'm looking for a definition, once more!
    I just wonder how to understand "Knock the world right off its feet and straight onto its head". Well, I think that "knocking something off" is like "warning" but I might be wrong, cause I don't understand what it would mean. I guess there's just a 'pun' between "Knock the world off" wich means "warn the world" et "knock the world" that could mean something like "punch the world" onto its feet and it head....?

There's another lyric I can't understand : "It's time to run this table". You need to know that the song talks about Cain and Able, a religious myth which talks about a brother who killed his brother. Maybe is this a relationship between "run this table" and the context of the song.

I hope I was clear enough =)

7. sliepert said:

Default definitions

"knock the world off its feet": make a big impression on everyone

"run the table": in the game of pool, to sink all the balls in a single turn, so you win before your oponent even gets a chance to play

hope that helps...

rec.115 said:

send me the lyrics and I will try to help you on it.
    "Knock the world right off its feet and straight onto its head".
    This could mean destroy the world or to trip someone like, say someone is standing on a chair(the world) someone knocks it or kicks it off and you the person standing on the chair falls flat on their head.
    I'll will be more help if you can send the lyrics to me.
    hope that makes sense.