Thread: How's your mood? Told through music

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 701 Posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mixalopoulos View Post
    Woah!!! JF, System Of A Down, I'm Impressed!!
    Whoah! I still have the stuff to impress??! So glad, Mixa!

SOAD = well, I'm not 100% in their arena, but they are:
    (1) good musicians, (2) often have a good point to make,
    (3) occasionally have no point to make (but, then, making no point IS making a point, right??),
    (4) have this knack of "music shifting" that takes you from one psychological plane to another in a flash!
    (5) can at times really sound beautiful, (6) can at other times sound horrible (purposely),
    (7) sometimes really make me laugh!!
    (8) occasionally speak for my mood or state [e.g., I truly understand "Dream," "Radio/Video," and a few other bizarre songs];
    (9) seem "pioneers" in music somehow to me.
    [Caution: I cannot recommend all their music, by any means, neither do I listen to all of it!]

Now I will try to further impress my little brother Mixa with another SOAD that makes me laugh ... but there's always a more serious side (and I GET IT!--That's what's really scary :S :S!!! )
    AAAAHHHhhhhhhhhh, soooo hard to explain . . . I don't really think SOAD's for this thread.

Listen with volume-consciousness ... and try to listen to the end . . . really. Otherwise you miss SOAD beauty.:

Quote Originally Posted by Robster1983 View Post
    I honestly have no idea what this song is all about, nor do I feel like a 'depresif kukla' (btw, did you all know that Turkish 'kukla' is exactly pronounced the same way as Greek 'κούκλα/koukla', Bulgarian and Russian 'кукла/kukla', and the (in some regions) Serbian 'kukla'? ), but it sounds so great!
    This word even sifted down from major ancient languages down to "young" English: We have "kook" or "kookie/kooky."

And about the 'acoustic songs' you are referring to: I don't really like them. If I want acoustic, I'd buy some acoustic album of them. For me, the pleasure of an album is within the songs on it, the photo booklet in it, and to be able to touch and feel it (like the older generation has with LPs :P). I want the total studio-package. I even could go to see them live, if I wanted that. But I'm always afraid that this might leave me not being a supporter of that artist again (every artist has its bad days, let alone them artists that only sing 'great' in the studio :P).
    @ROBSTER1983: UNDERSTAND - The full experiental thing, all the senses. (Which are gradually being deleted from our lives. CAUTION!!!! BIG BROTHER!! 1984!-not 1983!! ) Like buying one new book vs. reading 100 Kindle 'books.'

DON'T UNDERSTAND - ROBSTER QUOTE: " 'acoustic songs' you are referring to: I don't really like them. If I want acoustic, I'd buy some acoustic album of them. . . . I even could go to see them live, if I wanted that. But I'm always afraid that this might leave me not being a supporter of that artist again. "

FRANKIE HERE: I'm lost. When I refer to "acoustic" I mean with stringed instrument(s) rather than full orchestration or electrical band. Do you mean something else?

A little Kentucky-speak here: "Them what's good, is good." Only once in our lives have we ever been disappointed in a live concert. (I'll spare you the details who, where, how ... unless there's a real curiosity hound out there.) All the others exceeded my expectations! Again, it's the experiential thing--the theatre/arena; sights, smells, sounds, feelings, REVERBERATIONS!!! in some cases! Trembling softness in others . . .

_ _ _ _ _

P.S. - ROBSTER: So please share--If you use a with me--exactly what will that mean???? From me it means similar to Paul--Going from perhaps smiling, to laughter (not laughing 'at' necessarily--rather, making double sure someone knows I'm teasing them or I'm delighted with their post!)
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 12-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Orhan View Post
    For Prof. Muziek RobStaar

That's just one of her wrongtastic songs!!! It (the song=«Princess & Prince Of The Frog») is from the album I mentioned («Party People»), and the cover is right also! I just wish that someone, somehow would release «PARTY GIRL»: it's SO disco and fun, that it's a pity that no other person might know about it (if not released on YT anytime soon, I might throw it on YT myself! )!!!
    To Páthos Eínai Aformí

Thanks

To Frankie Jasmine:
    --I don't do 'kindle' or whatever sort of that. I'm very happy with my 2-year old iPod, and that's how I'd like it to be! If I want to read a book, I buy the original version (pages always smell so nice!! )!!

-- Many artists DO mean something else! They say it's acoustic, but it has the whole guitar and/or violons in it, amplified via some MTV plug. When I say acoustic, I mean 'just the voice, and some undertone instrument, but nothing more'!!! I know many people hate Alanis Morissette's acoustic version of «Ironic» (as it's somewhat gay), but I just love it! Not because of that, but because she really is sort of alone with only few instruments! Is't that just BRIL???

--It's like I just said in a previous post: I like to give smiles to someone, but the -symbol on ATL almost looks 'plastic', and perhaps even sarcastic. That's not I mean, not at all!! I don't like the symbol, but when I understand someone completly, or think he/she deserves a big 'you go, girl/guy' smile, then that -symbol is my choice, as I ain't got any other.
    To Páthos Eínai Aformí

Thanks

Default Live Concert

Speaking of live concerts, we saw the delicate, beautiful, creative jazz pianist Keiko Matsui, performing her creations at a small dinner-theatre in Nashville, TN. (Not your local home-town performing dinner-theatre; this was great!) We were on half-step level above Keiko, and about 15 feet from her. She was F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C !!

Before the concert, her husband, Kazu Matsui [who has his own career in Hollywood, USA, recording shakuhachi flute music for major films, "Dances With Wolves," e.g.] quietly performed Shinto rituals & prayers in each corner of the building prior to the performance!

Keiko has recorded a lot of "peaceful," beautiful music. However, the performance "wowwed" Nashville! This tiny woman absolutely exploded with dynamism and power on stage with crazy electric jazz piano !! I know it's instrumental, not lyrics. Still, I wanted to share a little bit of her. So far on You Tube have not found the powerful jazz style she performed that night. (Of course, she is a composer.)

[I also have to share: My husband got a little crush on Keiko Matsui, it was obvious! After the performance, he waited in line (he hates lines) to buy Keiko's CD, sit down and talk with her for quite a while, have his picture taken with her, and get his CD signed!! He was smitten for quite some time afterward. We bought a lot of her music, naturally!]

ACROSS THE SUN

BONFIRE IN THE PIANO

Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 12-02-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks

Default Thanks, robster!!

To Frankie Jasmine:
    --I don't do 'kindle' or whatever sort of that. I'm very happy with my 2-year old iPod, and that's how I'd like it to be! If I want to read a book, I buy the original version (pages always smell so nice!!)!!

-- Many artists DO mean something else! They say it's acoustic, but it has the whole guitar and/or violons in it, amplified via some MTV plug. When I say acoustic, I mean 'just the voice, and some undertone instrument, but nothing more'!!! I know many people hate Alanis Morissette's acoustic version of «Ironic» (as it's somewhat gay), but I just love it! Not because of that, but because she really is sort of alone with only few instruments! Is't that just BRIL???

--It's like I just said in a previous post: I like to give smiles to someone, but the -symbol on ATL almost looks 'plastic', and perhaps even sarcastic. That's not I mean, not at all!! I don't like the symbol, but when I understand someone completly, or think he/she deserves a big 'you go, girl/guy' smile, then that -symbol is my choice, as I ain't got any other.
    @ROBSTER: Point 1: If you feel strongly about jewel CD cases, I am not surprised you're the same person to appreciate the heft, feel, look, font, and smell of a good (even old) book!! (Me too!!!!)

On Point 2: Ask Paul Orhan--How many times have I said that I prefer particular singers (**ahem** some of whom are Turkish) with acoustical accompaniment rather than orchestral? Too much orchestral gets so "Las-Vegas-y" sounding to me. I agree with what you said--natural acoustical accompaniment showcases a very good voice and "too-too much" obscures it. I give you a = .... even a = !!!

On Point 3: Thank you . . . In a sense I was teasing you! . . . But I really did want to know! And your "" will always be taken very well!!!!

. . . Personally, I miss having a dramatic "crying" smiley!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 12-03-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks

Default Song Tribute to ROBSTER1983

A Dedication to ROBSTER1983:

I offer you two more versions:

Robster, this version gives "TOM'S DINER's" "background story" and what happened with the song a few years later:

Robster, "TOM'S DINER" bowled me over the first time I heard it . . . I'd never heard anything like it at the time. Believe me, I went around for years singing this one! And occasionally it still beckons back to me and entertains me as I sing it (not nearly as well as Suzanne) around my house . . .

_ _ _ _ _

More "TOM'S DINER" trivia from Wikipedia:

Vega's song "Tom's Diner" was used as the reference track in an early trial of the MP3 compression system, thus earning her the distinction of being named "The Mother of the MP3". Because it is an a cappella vocal with relatively little reverberation, it was used as the model for Karlheinz Brandenburg's sound compression algorithm.[7] Brandenburg heard “Tom's Diner” on a radio playing the song and was excited and at first convinced it would be “nearly impossible to compress this warm a cappella voice

"Tom's Diner" takes place in Tom's Restaurant at 112th Street and Broadway in New York City. Exterior shots of the same restaurant appear in the television sitcom Seinfeld as Monk's, which is the eatery where Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer hang out. The DNA remix of the track was so popular that it inspired many cover versions—the best of which were eventually collected by Vega on an album titled Tom's Album.[7] The remixed version of "Tom's Diner" was later sampled by hip hop artist Nikki D in her single "Daddy's Little Girl". Rapper Tupac Shakur sampled the track in "Dopefiend's Diner".

Tom's Restaurant, after which the song Tom's Diner was named
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 12-02-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Additional information

Thanks

Here's this Friday Night's "Alone" song . . . cuz here I am now . . . on this thread . . . alone . . . [This is where I'd put that "crying my eyes out" smiley! though I'm just kidding--I feel good.] You might laugh at one or two spots in this. That's OK. He should have practiced with his eyes open in the mirror before he had his TV close-up:

Thanks

Default Nostalgia: "little feat"

GUYS: I go crazy when I'm on here alone . . . so if you can't stand my songs, then somebody better join me during these late U.S. hours of the night and get me under control!!

"Little Feat" are a blast from the past for us. I don't think they actually got a lot of radio play, but they had their own following. Their music was somewhat "sensational" at the time. Little Feat lyrics played on words and with metaphors; musical compositions seemed more rock-blues than country at the time.

. . . Now, as I listen to Little Feat, some of their songs sound more "country" to me! Change of time; change of perspectives! A few decades later, "Country music" almost caught up to Little Feat, adding more rock, pop, etc. to its sound . . . Which Little Feat had already accomplished, along with a more "open" view to other forms of music and without the prejudical limits that Nashville, Tennessee, ["World Capitol of Country Music"] used to impose.

Two Trains
    -- Lowell George

In 1966 I found my love
    In 1967 I had all there was
    And as my time went by I was satisfied
    Until that situation took me by surprise

Now there's two trains runnin' - on that line
    One train's me, and the other's a friend of mine
    You know it would be all right, be just fine
    If the woman took one train, and left the other behind

Illusion it is just the same conclusion
    I don't know how to play the game
    Of what it is or how it's going to be
    When one train is my friend and the other train is me

Easy, Lord, I say easy, I can't push or shove that girl
    So I guess I really care
    Now I aint not one to hide my love behind a lock and key
    But if things keep going the way they are there's no place left for me

Two trains runnin' - on that line
    One train's me, and the other's a friend of mine
    Be all right, be just fine
    If this woman took the one train, and left the other behind

Two trains, (uh-huh yeah) two trains, (two) two trains, (keep on on) two trains
    Two trains, (a little bit longer) two trains, two trains, two trains

Cold, Cold, Cold
    -- Lowell George

Cold, cold, cold
    Cold, cold, cold
    Freezing, it was freezing in that hotel
    I had no money, my special friend was gone
    The TV set was busted so she went along
    I called room, room service,
    I'm down here on my knees
    A peach or a pear, or a coconut please,
    But they was cold

Well it's been a month since I seen my girl*
    Or a dime to make the call
    'Cause it passed me up, or it passed me by,
    Or I couldn't decide at all
    And I'm mixed up, I'm so mixed up
    Don't you know I'm lonely
    And I wish the world would get off of my case
    And get on one of its own

Cold, cold, cold
    Cold, cold, cold
    That woman was freezing, freezing cold
    Well I tried everything to warm her up
    Now I'm living in this cold hotel
    'Cause she passed me, up or she passed me by,
    Or I couldn't decide at all
    Oh I'm mixed up, yes I'm mixed up
    Don't you know I'm lonely
    Of all the things I had to do
    I had to fall in love
    You know she's cold

Turn your clock back woman when you see me comin' round
    My feet don't, feet don't even touch the ground
    don't be cold, don't be cold
    don't be cold, don't be cold
    _ _ _ _ _
    *Whooooooops! They changed the lyrics for the live performance . . .

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
    -- Bob Dylan

well, i ride on a mail train baby
    can’t buy a thrill
    well, i been up all night, baby
    leanin’ on the window sill
    well, if i die, on top of the hill
    and if i don’t make it
    you know my baby will

don’t the moon look good
    shinin’ through the trees
    and don’t the brakeman look good, baby
    flaggin’ down the double "e"
    don’t the sun look good
    goin’ down over the sea
    but, don’t my man look fine
    when he’s comin’ after me

now the winter time is comin’
    the windows are filled with frost
    i went to tell everybody
    but, i could not get across
    well, i want to be your lover, baby
    i don’t to be your boss
    don’t say i never warned you
    when your train gets lost

Dixie Chicken
    -- L. George, F. Martin

I've seen the bright lights of Memphis
    And the Commodore Hotel
    And underneath a street lamp I met a Southern belle
    Oh she took me to the river, where she cast her spell
    And in that Southern moonlight, she sang this song so well

If you'll be my Dixie chicken, I'll be your Tenessee lamb
    And we can walk together down inDixieland
    Down in Dixieland

We made all the hot spots. My money flowed like wine
    Then the low down Southern whiskey, yeah, began to fog my mind
    And I don't remember church bells, or the money I put down
    On the white picket fence and boardwalk on the house at the end of town
    But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain
    And the nights we spent together, and the way she called my name

And we can walk together down in Dixieland
    Down in Dixieland

Many years since she ran away
    Yes those guitar players sure could play
    He always handy with a song
    She always liked to sing along
    But then one night in the lobby of the Commodore Hotel
    I chanced to meet a bartender who said he knew her well
    And as he handed me a drink he began to hum a song
    And all the boys there, at the bar, began to sign along

And we can walk together down in Dixieland
    Down in Dixieland
    Whoa in Dixieland
    Down in Dixieland
    (Oh man I'd like to be deep down in the land of cotton)
    Down in Dixieland
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 12-03-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Lyrics corrections

Thanks

Since Patricia has already been "killed" I hope I'm not risking anyone's life now

One of the best songs on his latest album!
    **uuhhhh ... eeehhhrrr** **uh...** my life might ... be ... in a bit of . . . danger . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Maviii View Post
    i loved kivanc after i saw this video

@Maviii: Is that a saz? As in "Sözlerimi Geri Alamam" lyric, 'Aldım elime sazımı'???
    ["I Can't Take Back My Words" lyric 'I take my saz in my hand'???]

Quote Originally Posted by Maviii View Post

@Maviii: I liked the song and singer in this video. Thanks!
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 12-03-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robstaar1983 View Post
    That's exactly what the Turks do! If they write sth is an acoustic version of a song it usually means: less electronic used and natural acoustic instruments added during he remix of the original song. Sometimes the final result is just WOW!, sometimes not as impressive as I"d expect.
    In case of the ANatolian male nightingales or larks, the acoustic version usually enhances the voice of the Artist and one can really dwelll into its beauty and mosaic-like finesse of the melody line that he sings.

Thanks

Uhhhhh . . . excuse me. Did I hear, all the way from Poland, the words "Anatolian male" songbirds?? Evet! Evet! EVET! I did! My ears are so attuned to that word "Anatolian ..." (**ahem**) yani, words "Anatolian male" that Paul just woke me up! Paul, don't talk so loud. I can hear that if you whispered it from the bottom of a crevasse in Antarctica and I was stranded on the rapidly melting ice of the Arctic!

HHhhhmmmmm . . . this calls for a BARIS AKARSU song. I can't help myself:

[Concert performance updloaded to YT by his grieving sweetheart, PeaceAndSadness.]

Thanks

Frankie -->>> shshshshs:Anatolian male below; shshshshshs!

This calls for another one, too.

A lark this time - just as his name duly informs us about his birdy nature. Another brill combination of name and surname!

Thanks

PTS presents: "Best titles of the Turkish songs" part one "Kutsi and his song "Aynadaki Yüzünün Karşılığı Benim" or "I'm The Reflection Of Your Face In The Mirror"

Careful: A...n...a...t...o...l...i...a...n... delight!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post

@Maviii: Is that a saz? As in "Sözlerimi Geri Alamam" lyric, 'Aldım elime sazımı'???
    ["I Can't Take Back My Words" lyric 'I take my saz in my hand'???]

@Maviii: I liked the song and singer in this video. Thanks!
    [/B]
    yes frankie its saz / a Turkish music instrument

Thanks

I love this song <3
    reminds me of Bosporus bridge and istanbul lights at night

Duydum ki unutmuşsun gözlerimin rengini
    Yazık olmuş o gözlerden sana akan yaşlara
    Bir zamanlar sevginle ateşlenen başımı
    Dizlerinin yerine dayasaydım taşlara

Hani bendim yedi renk hani tende can idim
    Hani gündüz hayalin geceler rüyan idim
    Demek ki senin için aşk değil yalan imiş
    Acırım heder olan o en güzel yıllara

Thanks

From Armenia with love... the gorgeous Sirusho

Thanks

Duydum ki unutmuşsun gözlerimin rengini - what a beautiful title, too! I'm taking it to my collection.
    Thank you, Mavi Gülüm

Thanks

Duydum ki unutmuşsun gözlerimin rengini - what a beautiful title, too! I'm taking it to my collection.
    Thank you, Mavi Gülüm
    Rica ederim abicim glad you liked my song

Thanks

after this song ............this one should follow

another beautiful lyrics and song ...need only a hookah

Page 184 of 509 FirstFirst ... 84134174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194234284 ... LastLast