Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

maria_gr said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Γεια σου Μαρία, τι γίνεσαι;

Ahora que empiezo a conocer un poco el griego me doy cuenta que el castellano tiene un montón de palabras muy parecidas como βάζο, ερμάρι, ρολόι, τηλέφωνο kai οι μήνες του χρόνου, etc.
    Γεια xiurell, είμαι μια χαρά. Εσύ;

Jeje tienes razón, griego tiene muchas palabras turcas y latinas. Bάζο es de la palabra latina vas, ερμάρι de armarium, ρολόι es de la palabra griega ωρολόγιον y τηλέφωνο no es exactamente una palabra griega, pero sus compuestos son griegos (τηλε + φωνή).
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

2. sugarcane said:

another song lyric that i can't quite dicipher....

"y no le tengan miedo a la jara porque si yo digo algo fresco"

don't be afraid A LA JARA when i say something fresh...?

what does it mean to have miedo a la jara? la jara se traducido the rockrose en ingles right?

SOMEONE HELP!! Please!

3. Jennaluvzu said:

hey if anyone knows spanish and is willing to help me on my homework it would be greatly appreciated...

i'm studying joan miró y no sé comó decir muchas cosas que necisito expresar...

see, i suck at spanish... lol

oh yah.. AIM is JeLLyBeAn4775
    MSN is bean4775@hotmail.com

graciasssss

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaluvzu View Post
    hey if anyone knows spanish and is willing to help me on my homework it would be greatly appreciated...

i'm studying joan miró y no sé comó decir muchas cosas que necisito expresar...

see, i suck at spanish... lol

oh yah.. AIM is JeLLyBeAn4775
    MSN is bean4775@hotmail.com

graciasssss
    I know spanish... lol. You can add me. My Yahoo is 'kyoshonexus' and my AIM is 'arielarux'...

5. lokyta1289 said:

Thumbs up i have no clue and i'm really aggrivated

i speak spanish i'm puerto rican and in my whole life i have never used the word rastriella wat does this mean is it a work steming from rastrillo and something about a girl or wat i'm a lil confused my friend is dominican and he didn't kno this either can sum 1 help me out!!! thanx xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

amandarandolph said:

I have a spanish slang question that has been unsucessfully answered in the past.

All of my co-workers are from either Honduras, El Salvador, or Guatemala.

They lal have this little catchphrase

"Papa desime!"

For example, my manager will go in and yell at the dishwasher for forgetting to punch out the previous day and he'll just yell out "PAApa desime!" and everyone will laugh.
    Or if the new girls try to speak to any of the ktichen staff in awful spanish with no effort they'll just yell out "PAaaapa desime!"

I know that literally that just means "daddy, tell me"
    But that just doesn't make sense!

Can someone explain this?

7. elglorioso77 said:

indeed .... it makes no sense !!!! I'm from argentina ... and also we have expretions that center-american doesnt understad also ...
    I dont get that phrase ....

Ahhh me olvidaba ..... le paso una frase en cordobes ...
    y alquien que me diga que significa ...
    "Dame el vasualdo con fernando"

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by amandarandolph View Post
    I have a spanish slang question that has been unsucessfully answered in the past.

All of my co-workers are from either Honduras, El Salvador, or Guatemala.

They lal have this little catchphrase

"Papa desime!"

For example, my manager will go in and yell at the dishwasher for forgetting to punch out the previous day and he'll just yell out "PAApa desime!" and everyone will laugh.
    Or if the new girls try to speak to any of the ktichen staff in awful spanish with no effort they'll just yell out "PAaaapa desime!"

I know that literally that just means "daddy, tell me"
    But that just doesn't make sense!

Can someone explain this?
    It means "daddy, tell me" and I don't see any slang in that (supposing that you didn't hear wrong)... But, if they find it funny and we don't, it's because it has a meaning to them that we ignore. Maybe some funny character in a TV show uses that phrase in that kind of situation or someone said that one day and it was so hilarious given the context that it became famous among the ones who know about it. Thats just me guessing but it could be anything... Why don't you tell him "Papaa, decime... que diablos significa esta frase" lol

9. Unscarred said:

ay
    esta vaina de forum ta' buenisima

ill help when i can with translation

ill help u with ur dutch translation too and french
    ...aint bragging out just some info

nice forum !

10. draza1981 said:

Default ummm

what does "no puedo crea" mean?

11. Unscarred said:

do you mean

no puedo creer?

if so that'll mean "i can't believe it"

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by sugarcane View Post
    another song lyric that i can't quite dicipher....

"y no le tengan miedo a la jara porque si yo digo algo fresco"

don't be afraid A LA JARA when i say something fresh...?

what does it mean to have miedo a la jara? la jara se traducido the rockrose en ingles right?

SOMEONE HELP!! Please!
    This is from an old Hector LaVoe song that he played at yankee stadium with Fania All Stars. He says "Yo quiero que todo el mundo cante. Y no le tengan miedo a la jara que si llo digo algo fresco nos van a llevar todos presos." Which means:" I want everyone here to sing along with me. And dont be afraid of the police because if I say something fresh they're gonna have to take us all in."

La Jara is slang for the police. I'm not sure where it came from but I'm certain that it refers to police as when I was a kid that's what I used to call them. We also used to call undercover cops "camarones" or shrimps.

arux said:

Anyone know the name of a song that says something like "Ella es chica mala"... "Ella es la dueña de la madrugada". I love it but I can't find it by name!

Bachata_Chicana91 said:

I have something to say about the word Pelon, I have a friend nicknamed Pelon. His real name is Issac, we call him Pelon because he has short hair. It does mean Bald but it is also for someone expecially a guy in his teens or twentys who has his hair reall Short. It is not that they are bald just that they barley have anyhair to rub though or to pull on. The word Pelon was made up By a woman..... I think it had to have been!!!!!!

Un Chola de Sir Trece!!!!!!!! Viva La Raza de Mexicanos, Latinos, y Chicanos!!!
    Un Chola de Sir Trece.

arux said:

Lol ta buena la Virgen de Guadalupe esa

16. Kamiakpartigirl said:

tengo una pregunta..
    come se dice estes palabras en ingles..?

-Jevita
    -Enterita
    -Meneate
    -humo amargo

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamiakpartigirl View Post
    tengo una pregunta..
    come se dice estes palabras en ingles..?

-Jevita
    -Enterita
    -Meneate
    -humo amargo
    A la vez que palabras como esas se traducen a otro idioma pierden bastante el significado pero bueno ahi van:

-Jevita: Can mean a 'fine girl' or 'girlfriend'. i.e. 'Mira la jevita esa' ('Look at that fine girl') or 'La jevita de Julio es comica' ('Julio's girlfriend is funny')

-Enterita: Comes from 'entera' (whole). It means that the girl is 'really fine' (she has the WHOLE package)

-Meneate: Waggle the hips. Move hips or butt in a circular motion. Not the same as shaking.

-Humo amargo: 'Sour smoke'.

amanda090977 said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    Anyone know the name of a song that says something like "Ella es chica mala"... "Ella es la dueña de la madrugada". I love it but I can't find it by name!
    Mala Es by Jowell Y Randy - but I am sure that probably isn't it... doesn't have the madrugada...

What genre?
    No trates de tapar la verdad
    No te resistas, no te acobardes
    (¯`·¸•´¯)

arux said:

It's reggaeton

acacia said:

Default ?

this thread has really come along way, lol.
    so arux; these guys at work always call me 'nalgona'
    or something to that effect. are they referring to my butt?
    lol, muchas gracias ;]

Last edited by acacia; 11-29-2007 at 11:24 PM.