Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. chulita said:

omg arux you have been a big help! pero, tengo una problema. estoy aprendiendo esapnol, y puedo leer y escribir, pero cuando estoy hablando, tengo miedo. Creo que, es porque soy una morena y yo no soy una latina...no sé. qué piensas para me lo que hacer. (i don't know if i said that right) i don't know if you get what i mean, but how do i get rid of the fear?

arux said:

Habla con alguien en español nada mas o al menos lee en voz alta para que te acostumbres a oirte a ti misma hablando otro idioma...

When I was learning how to speak English, the sounds that I made were so unfamiliar to my ears that I got distracted just by hearing myself talk and I couldn't concentrate on what I was saying, only on how bad it sounded and on what others were be thinking about me.

In school I was much better at writing than most native English speakers but I struggled so much to talk fluently that I didn't talk at all because I feared messing up. I could not think of the appropriate words to say fast enough and once I opened my mouth I looked like a retard... Gradually I became better at choosing words but still could not speak without getting stuck constantly...

I knew I was thinking too much about it. That's why I got stuck. However, if I didn't think really hard then I couldn't process what to say. Only after about 5 years it all started to become second nature. I tried to figure out what made it so easy to speak my native language and how I managed to think of the words so quickly. I discovered that when I spoke Spanish I automatically heard what I was going to say in my head before I spoke as if I had a little someone inside telling me what to say. I discovered that I didn't magically generate words as I opened my mouth but rather the emotions that I felt were automatically picking out the phrases for me, and I heard a little preview inside my mind of what I was about to say out loud. Obviously I don't know if this is the case with everyone, but thats what I found out for me.
    Then I proceeded to try and do this with the foreign language and fool my brain into thinking it was my native language to gain confidence and fluidity. If the emotions guided my unconscious mind on the right things to say then everything came out beautifully. If I chose the words consciously, then I screwed up up because I started judging. The best way to do this for me is to put my mind completely blank and listen for the playback, it always comes. Then I let my mouth follow what I hear without judging, I trust the little guy inside :P

To do this, tough, you need to have an extensive vocabulary and ample practice. I got it by forcing myself to talk and watching a lot of movies. I had to push myself into conversations and make a conscious effort to stay in them.

Recently I have put even more emphasis on my oral skills because I have gotten deeply into the Venusian Arts. That's quite another story but just to show that perfecting a skill never ends.

3. chulita said:

thanx so much : ) i get what you mean about the little person in ur head.lol i try to do the same; translating every sentence from english to spanish. i just need to not be afraid and just put myself out there, that's the only way to learn. thank you again.

Daniela said:

What does 'Somos marido' mean?
    Marido means husband, so does it mean like.. we are a couple???

arux said:

Yeah, thats what it means...

Daniela said:

Ok thanks!

Daniela said:

Can someone help me translate these words..
    pa'
    fantasmeo
    pistoleo

thanks

8. Garces10 said:

do u know wat Que Pasa mean or la amas como yo

citlalli said:

@ Daniela: pa' = para (for, to)

@ Garces10: ¿Qué pasa?= what's going on?/ what's the matter? ...¿la amas como yo?= do you love her like I do?

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

10. Kamiakpartigirl said:

hola! estoy leyendo una novela Cubana-Americana y hice una lista de palabras que vi y no se. Pregunté mi profesora de español, pero ella se negó que decirme pues estoy pensando que son un poco malo. Puede los tranduce por favor? (lo siento si mi espanol es un poquito malo...soy un gringo)

mámame el bicho
    qué carajo quieres
    coño
    puñeta y pinga y to' eso
    mamabicho
    crica
    muerdeme duro
    bevida

maria_gr said:

I can only understand these two, but I'm sure that someone else could help you more.

qué carajo quieres=what the hell you want
    coño=it's a typical swear of Spanish. They usually say coño, joder, hostia!!!
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

xiurell said:

mámame el bicho = suck my d**k
    qué carajo quieres = What the hell you want
    coño = Maria is righ is a swear (means p***y)
    puñeta= is an exlamation meanning 'surprise', 'astonishment' or 'annoyance'
    pinga = d**k
    to' eso = todo eso =everything
    crica = p***y
    muerdeme duro = bite me hard
    bebida (fem. adj) = drunk
    mamabicho = Refers to a person who thinks high on himself. Someone who think he is like a pimp,when actually he is nothing.
    (Mamar Bicho also refers to oral sex)

Saludos

arux said:

OMG you showed that to your teacher! LOL

14. Kamiakpartigirl said:

Haha!! Well I didnt know what it meant! No wonder she wouldnt tell me =]
    K, one more question...what does "puñeta y pinga y to' eso" mean all put together. The context was "She is all puñeta y pinga y to' eso, man."
    oh, and what does "ten cuidado" mean?

15. Kamiakpartigirl said:

wait i lied...tengo mas..lo siento

what do these frases mean?

- Vete pa' el carajo
    - Mas fea que un culo (more ugly than an a$s????..corecto?)
    - Canto de cabron
    - tu no me jodas (does this mean : you cannot f**k me (over) ???)
    -mamon

lo siento for the bad words! this novela is a bit racy
    Last edited by Kamiakpartigirl; 12-22-2007 at 01:47 AM. Reason: language

16. elglorioso77 said:

It doenst matters ! what is the name of the novela ????

2 things ...

Puñeta in Argentina means "touch yourself" ( sexually )

Mamon = in spanish from spain "sucker". In Argentina tender ...

17. Kamiakpartigirl said:

Its called "Make Him Look Good" por Alisa Valdez-Rodriguez. Its really good. its mostly in english but they throw in spanish words and frases randomly throughout it

maria_gr said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamiakpartigirl View Post
    Haha!! Well I didnt know what it meant! No wonder she wouldnt tell me =]
    K, one more question...what does "puñeta y pinga y to' eso" mean all put together. The context was "She is all puñeta y pinga y to' eso, man."
    oh, and what does "ten cuidado" mean?
    I've no idea about the phrase "puñeta y pinga y to' eso", but ten cuidado means take care of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamiakpartigirl View Post
    wait i lied...tengo mas..lo siento

what do these frases mean?

- Vete pa' el carajo
    - Mas fea que un culo (more ugly than an a$s????..corecto?)
    - Canto de cabron
    - tu no me jodas (does this mean : you cannot f**k me (over) ???)
    -mamon

lo siento for the bad words! this novela is a bit racy
    - Vete pa' el carajo=go to hell (I think)
    - Mas fea que un culo=more ugly than an a$s (as you said)
    - Canto de cabron=song of keratas (sorry I don't know the english word, just the greek one )
    - tu no me jodas=don't f*** me (I think that no + subjunctive has the meaning of imperative)
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

19. Kamiakpartigirl said:

Gracias!!!

arux said:

tu no me jodas in Cuba means don't mess with me. It has nothing to do with ****ing like in most other countries. Joder, depending on the context, can mean to bother, to fool or to be screwed (estar jodido).

Some situations in which it can be used:

Jose: Hey, a meteorite fell in my backyard!!?
    Pepe: No jodas???!!! (Equivalent to saying Are you kidding? or Don't try to fool me, depending on the level of disbelief)

Jose: Hey I need to borrow your pen again...
    Pepe: No jodas mas! (Stop bothering!)

Jose: I left my keys inside the car!
    Pepe: Ahora si estas jodido... (Now you are really screwed...)

Check this out if you understand Spanish(The last two tracks are lessons in Cuban language and it has the word joder lol. The very last one is for Americans, it's funny):

http://www.rhapsody.com/alvarezguede...7242_elandaluz
    Last edited by arux; 12-23-2007 at 11:02 PM.