Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by CoriInKW View Post
    Yup.... Growing up in the central valley of CA then moving to KW really screws up ur words, just imagine trying to navigate ur way through Fresno speaking Cuban dilects, to mexican people, asking them where can I catch a bus? they look At you funny and turn around to you and say, " If you were a guy I would tell you the only way for you to do that would be at the muffler!!!!"
    haha
    yea, tryin to figure out where la guagua is is hard from a mexican. i always have to try to speak as simple as possible with my mexican friends since my slang is completely different than theirs

2. fwalck said:

pata can mean lesbian, but if its said to a man, its even more offensive.
    as far as i know, using it like that is strictly rican.
    (im puerto rican)

3. fwalck said:

Quote Originally Posted by howielb39 View Post
    hace rato is to complete goals... or overcome obstacles, kind've thing. so at that they can't get over it, or like, they get stuck... jesus so many different ways to say everything. but i think you get the point?

ah. im pretty sure about this one:
    tengo el enemigo mamando hace rato...

to me, this is like, "i've got the enemy chasing my tail..."
    its demonstrating how inept the 'enemigo' is to him.

'mamando hace rato' is the english equivalent of 'f#cking up' in puerto rico.

DeBaires said:

If "hace rato" isn't used in a slang phrase or whatever, it just mines "it's been a while".

ex: "Hace rato que no te veo" = "It's been a while since I've seen you/I haven't seen you in a while."

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by fwalck View Post
    pata can mean lesbian, but if its said to a man, its even more offensive.
    as far as i know, using it like that is strictly rican.
    (im puerto rican)
    also pata in mexico... means when someone made a mistake...

´metiste la pata´ you made a mistake
    Last edited by lollipop; 07-12-2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Forum rules No 11

6. dmoney101 said:

i just wanna thank everybody on here who's helped me with new words. the other day, i had a puerto rican tell me "sabes natural"

CoriInKW said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    yea, tryin to figure out where la guagua is is hard from a mexican. i always have to try to speak as simple as possible with my mexican friends since my slang is completely different than theirs
    Exactly.... My aunt is argentinian and we went to argentina with her family (I was 5), and we were walking on the beach and I found a huge sea shell. So we took it back to the house and my uncle is talking with his friends when I come running in and say "Tio, tio mida una concha grande!" meaning "look at the huge seashell!" My uncle's friends started laughing and my aunt grabbed me by the arm and said "no CARACOL" and she told me that concha mean't ***** (which is not the actual meaning, but for a five year old it sufficed.). Needless to say I was completely humiliated and didn't come outta my room for the rest of the trip.

CoriInKW said:

*****=wh**e

9. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by CoriInKW View Post
    Exactly.... My aunt is argentinian and we went to argentina with her family (I was 5), and we were walking on the beach and I found a huge sea shell. So we took it back to the house and my uncle is talking with his friends when I come running in and say "Tio, tio mida una concha grande!" meaning "look at the huge seashell!" My uncle's friends started laughing and my aunt grabbed me by the arm and said "no CARACOL" and she told me that concha mean't ***** (which is not the actual meaning, but for a five year old it sufficed.). Needless to say I was completely humiliated and didn't come outta my room for the rest of the trip.
    right when you said concha i started laughing because it's the same as pu**y to me (idk what you were trying to say since you put stars over the whole word )

DeBaires said:

It's so funny, how that can happen. There's a restaurant here called "La Concha Grande" actually, & I laugh everytime I pass by it.

There's an insult in argentinian spanish, "la c*ncha de tu madre". which means "your mom's p*ssy", & I said it to a mexican friend once, just kidding, & she was like, "My mom's sea shell, what the f**k?"

Ha ha

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    It's so funny, how that can happen. There's a restaurant here called "La Concha Grande" actually, & I laugh everytime I pass by it.

There's an insult in argentinian spanish, "la c*ncha de tu madre". which means "your mom's p*ssy", & I said it to a mexican friend once, just kidding, & she was like, "My mom's sea shell, what the f**k?"

Ha ha
    lol yea. there's a restraunt i went to called Crabs and i laughed so hard when i saw it because it's a disrespectful word for Crips (if you call one that, they'll either get punked out, or if they're real they'll fight). I love slang

12. dmoney101 said:

oye arux, k significa coño pa lo Cubano? es como sh i t? i watched Scarface the other day (which is a lot better when you understand spanish jaja) and i noticed they said it A LOT.when i think of coño it's like chocha (o verga depending on who says it jaja). y, es la misma palabra pa to'l Caribe?

arux said:

oye arux, k significa coño pa lo Cubano? es como sh i t? i watched Scarface the other day (which is a lot better when you understand spanish jaja) and i noticed they said it A LOT.when i think of coño it's like chocha (o verga depending on who says it jaja). y, es la misma palabra pa to'l Caribe?
    In cuba its usually not used to refer to the famale part. If you say it by itself it's like saying fuc|<. "Que coño te pasa" means what the fuc|< is wrong with you. It can also be used to express awe: "Coñó que ricooo esta el helado". In these cases when it's used express awe its equivalent to "damn"( Damn that icecream is good) . We usually say "ñooo que ricoo esta el helado" so it doesn't sound like coño. When used in this less insulting manner its usually prounced coñó instead of coño for the same reason.

There's a store here in miami called "ñooo que barato" lol

14. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    In cuba its usually not used to refer to the famale part. If you say it by itself it's like saying fuc|<. "Que coño te pasa" means what the fuc|< is wrong with you. It can also be used to express awe: "Coñó que ricooo esta el helado". In these cases when it's used express awe its equivalent to "damn"( Damn that icecream is good) . We usually say "ñooo que ricoo esta el helado" so it doesn't sound like coño. When used in this less insulting manner its usually prounced coñó instead of coño for the same reason.

There's a store here in miami called "ñooo que barato" lol
    that's what i figured just from how everyone said it. it obviously wasn't una chocha o pinga jaja

15. arimari said:

.huhuhuhuh get a life.

damarys said:

My son went to Mexico with his Spanish class for a week; it was one of those 'immersion' trips. The kids were all supposed to change their name to the Spanish counterpart (like Joe, became Jose or Pepe; Mary was Maria, etc.). THose kids who did not have an easy translation just chose a name. Some of them were kind of silly like "Tortuga". One kid picked Cabr&#243;n as his name. Now, their Spanish teacher was not a native speaker but someone who had completed his Mormon mission in a Latin American country. I told the student and the teacher that it was not an appropriate name. Well, no one did any anything about it and this kid went around Mexico that week introducing himself as Cabr&#243;n. My son said it was pretty hillarious to see the reactions from the locals. :-)
    Also, as a Cuban, I grew up "fregando los platos" (washing the dishes) y "fregando el piso". That got a lot of laughs from our Mexican friends!
    Viva la diferencia!

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    My son went to Mexico with his Spanish class for a week; it was one of those 'immersion' trips. The kids were all supposed to change their name to the Spanish counterpart (like Joe, became Jose or Pepe; Mary was Maria, etc.). THose kids who did not have an easy translation just chose a name. Some of them were kind of silly like "Tortuga". One kid picked Cabrón as his name. Now, their Spanish teacher was not a native speaker but someone who had completed his Mormon mission in a Latin American country. I told the student and the teacher that it was not an appropriate name. Well, no one did any anything about it and this kid went around Mexico that week introducing himself as Cabrón. My son said it was pretty hillarious to see the reactions from the locals. :-)
    Also, as a Cuban, I grew up "fregando los platos" (washing the dishes) y "fregando el piso". That got a lot of laughs from our Mexican friends!
    Viva la diferencia!
    hahahah... he choose a really bad name in spanish... hahahah yeah... vivan las diferenicias... Cuban-Mexican
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

18. dmoney101 said:

My son went to Mexico with his Spanish class for a week; it was one of those 'immersion' trips. The kids were all supposed to change their name to the Spanish counterpart (like Joe, became Jose or Pepe; Mary was Maria, etc.). THose kids who did not have an easy translation just chose a name. Some of them were kind of silly like "Tortuga". One kid picked Cabrón as his name. Now, their Spanish teacher was not a native speaker but someone who had completed his Mormon mission in a Latin American country. I told the student and the teacher that it was not an appropriate name. Well, no one did any anything about it and this kid went around Mexico that week introducing himself as Cabrón. My son said it was pretty hillarious to see the reactions from the locals. :-)
    Viva la diferencia!
    that's a great name. i would've named myself culero

citlalli said:

One kid picked Cabrón as his name. Now, their Spanish teacher was not a native speaker but someone who had completed his Mormon mission in a Latin American country. I told the student and the teacher that it was not an appropriate name. Well, no one did any anything about it and this kid went around Mexico that week introducing himself as Cabrón. My son said it was pretty hillarious to see the reactions from the locals. :-)
    Viva la diferencia!
    Well, considering the way mexican youths speak nowadays, "cabrón" and "güey" are actually very practical names, as it's possible to hear everywhere things like "¿Qué onda? ¿Cómo estás güey?" or "¿Qué pasó cabrón?"...
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

that's a great name. i would've named myself culero
    ¡Chaaaale!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.