Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Well, considering the way mexican youths speak nowadays, "cabrón" and "güey" are actually very practical names, as it's possible to hear everywhere things like "¿Qué onda? ¿Cómo estás güey?" or "¿Qué pasó cabrón?"...
    yea, i call my friends jotos and pendejos all the time. it just depends on the inflection. I've heard old people and news channels using "Que onda?", so that's obviously become very typical (that's why i use "Que transa?" with mexicans ).

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    yea, i call my friends jotos and pendejos all the time. it just depends on the inflection. I've heard old people and news channels using "Que onda?", so that's obviously become very typical (that's why i use "Que transa?" with mexicans ).
    You're cheeky cheeky! haha... another alternative for "¿qué onda?" would be "¿qué pedo?" or "¿qué pex?"
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

3. dmoney101 said:

You're cheeky cheeky! haha... another alternative for "¿qué onda?" would be "¿qué pedo?" or "¿qué pex?"
    i've heard k pedo, but not k pex. i don't like k pedo, it just sounds dumb to me "what fart?" lol. also, i heard it's for low class mexicans, so as a guero, that's not a good idea for me jaja

citlalli said:

Well... "¿qué transa?" isn't exactly sophisticated speech either dear ... I'm not sure whether "pedo" in "¿qué pedo?" stands for "fart" or for "plastered"
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

5. dmoney101 said:

Well... "¿qué transa?" isn't exactly sophisticated speech either dear ... I'm not sure whether "pedo" in "¿qué pedo?" stands for "fart" or for "plastered"
    lol, well a mexican told me transa is a more cholo thing to say, so i always saw transa as what i should say, and pedo for the straight up mojados jaja. most of all i say k lo k since i talk like a dominican

citlalli said:

LOL... okay

7. trianna408 said:

i have a couple of spanish poems that my friends grandpa wrote and wants me to help him translate them into english.. so i was wondering do you only translate reggaeton slang/ lyrics or spanish poems also?.. if you dont do you know were i could go s0 i can get a whole poem translated?

* and by the way i read all of the definitions you write back to ppl and it really helped me.. thx

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by trianna408 View Post
    i have a couple of spanish poems that my friends grandpa wrote and wants me to help him translate them into english.. so i was wondering do you only translate reggaeton slang/ lyrics or spanish poems also?.. if you dont do you know were i could go s0 i can get a whole poem translated?

* and by the way i read all of the definitions you write back to ppl and it really helped me.. thx
    you can create a new topic with the poems....and im sure... will be others like me who wants help u...
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

9. dmoney101 said:

can somebody translate this for me? it's a definition for "no te hagas" which i've been wanting to know what it means cuz i hear it a lot

Es cuando tu le dice a una gente algo y ella no lo cre tu le dice.

I think it says "it's when you tell people something, but they don't believe what you say"

Zahra2008 said:

can somebody translate this for me? it's a definition for "no te hagas" which i've been wanting to know what it means cuz i hear it a lot

Es cuando tu le dice a una gente algo y ella no lo cre tu le dice.

I think it says "it's when you tell people something, but they don't believe what you say"
    basically, yeah, that is the meaning

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    basically, yeah, that is the meaning
    perfect, i needed a phrase like that . thanks

citlalli said:

Yeah, "no te hagas" is like "come on, stop pretending you don't know!"... very useful and common indeed

13. dmoney101 said:

Yeah, "no te hagas" is like "come on, stop pretending you don't know!"... very useful and common indeed
    ok, that helps a lot. i've never heard anyone say it before but a couple of raperos in some songs, but never in a conversation

14. chavez.hidalgo said:

Smile que pedo

"que pedo" is kind of like saying que onda and not just mexicans use it alot of salvadorians use it and hodurenos.

it does not mean "what fart" like if its used in a conversation

example- "que paso guey"
    "pues nada..."
    "a donde vas?"
    "pues ya me boy al pachanga pa ver que pedo"

would be like saying wats up guey{not exact on that meaning except that it is also like saying bull} well nothing....where are you going...well im going to the party to see whats poppin" thats how it would be used or the same as que onda

15. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by chavez.hidalgo View Post
    "que pedo" is kind of like saying que onda and not just mexicans use it alot of salvadorians use it and hodurenos.

it does not mean "what fart" like if its used in a conversation

example- "que paso guey"
    "pues nada..."
    "a donde vas?"
    "pues ya me boy al pachanga pa ver que pedo"

would be like saying wats up guey{not exact on that meaning except that it is also like saying bull} well nothing....where are you going...well im going to the party to see whats poppin" thats how it would be used or the same as que onda
    damn, i actually understood all that. i'm so happy jaja. I just don't really like k pedo. it sounds weird to me. i know a guatemalan who says it all the time.

Zahra2008 said:

altough "que pedo" is popular (in men), I don't like it at all.. I rather to use "¿que onda?"

17. dmoney101 said:

altough "que pedo" is popular (in men), I don't like it at all.. I rather to use "¿que onda?"
    yea, that's what i usually here from most people. around hear, people either say que onda, que transa, or que la que hay (boricuas and cacos mainly)

damarys said:

Okay, I'm officially old! I haven't heard any of these which means that I'm not hanging with the right crowd! Thanks for keeping me hip.
    Here is a question, now that I know some of the new greetings, how are they saying good bye now? We used to always say "Chao" (for Ciao). What's being used around the world in Spanish by the current generation?

citlalli said:

ok, that helps a lot. i've never heard anyone say it before but a couple of raperos in some songs, but never in a conversation
    I find that rather surprising coz it's really very very common! You'll normally hear it either like "no te hagas", or when talking about a third party like "(el/ella) se hace" (meaning he/she's just pretending... "haciendose el tonto/güey" )

citlalli said:

Yeah, it's like using "güey" to greet someone... it's mainly used by men, as it sounds very rough for women, so we avoid it...