Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    yea, that's what i usually here from most people. around hear, people either say que onda, que transa, or que la que hay (boricuas and cacos mainly)
    sorry if this question is silly, but what's a caco?
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Okay, I'm officially old! I haven't heard any of these which means that I'm not hanging with the right crowd! Thanks for keeping me hip.
    Here is a question, now that I know some of the new greetings, how are they saying good bye now? We used to always say "Chao" (for Ciao). What's being used around the world in Spanish by the current generation?
    Well, In Argentina & Uruguay we've always used "chau" because we have such a strong italian influence in those two countries, but I think other countries (especially Chile) are starting to use it as well.

Other common, more universal phrases are:

Hasta luego, pronounced astal-weh-goh (lit "until later")

adios

nos vemos (lit "we'll see each other")

3. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    sorry if this question is silly, but what's a caco?

a caco is like the stereotype of someone who listens to reggaeton.
    here's a definition from urbandictionary.com

A person who has no self respect, originality, and/or taste for music. Cacos listen to reggaeton at full volume so they seem cool in front of their peers. They also have a tendency to idolatrize cars, women, and money above everything else because they of their obvious superficiality and lack of intelectual capacity. Cacos use plenty of foul language, slang, and will laugh and/or comment on the mention of words like "stick", "balls", and "hole", turning any decent conversation into ridiculous sex talk.

note:it's a little biased, but it gets the point across.

Zahra2008 said:

A person who has no self respect, originality, and/or taste for music. Cacos listen to reggaeton at full volume so they seem cool in front of their peers. They also have a tendency to idolatrize cars, women, and money above everything else because they of their obvious superficiality and lack of intelectual capacity. Cacos use plenty of foul language, slang, and will laugh and/or comment on the mention of words like "stick", "balls", and "hole", turning any decent conversation into ridiculous sex talk.

caco.. well... where i live.. we use to refer a person who is a thief
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

damarys said:

LOL!!!!!!!!! I'm going to have to check out the urban dictionary site. This definition was a riot!!!!!!

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    Well, In Argentina & Uruguay we've always used "chau" because we have such a strong italian influence in those two countries, but I think other countries (especially Chile) are starting to use it as well.

adios

Okay, so it's not that much different than what I typically use. I have always used "Chao" (or Chau), but it's unusual around these parts. I've also heard "Hasta..." (for Hasta luego), probably similar to "Later" which I hear a lot of kids say here.
    If you have different ones, post them please.
    Thanks, DeBaires.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    caco.. well... where i live.. we use to refer a person who is a thief
    Hey! that's true! I'd forgotten "los caquitos"

@dmoney: Thanks for the definition...now I've got a vey clear picture of a caco in my head
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

8. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Hey! that's true! I'd forgotten "los caquitos"

@dmoney: Thanks for the definition...now I've got a vey clear picture of a caco in my head
    yea, i think caco is the proper definition since someone on here told me it was a thief, but the first way i learned it was the stereotypical puerto rican reggaeton-listener

9. dmoney101 said:

i found this website and it's full of spanish slang. there's only been a few words i couldn't find, but i've learned a lot from it

http://diccionariolibre.com

it's all in spanish, so hopefully you all can figure it out if you're not fluent

10. chavez.hidalgo said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Okay, so it's not that much different than what I typically use. I have always used "Chao" (or Chau), but it's unusual around these parts. I've also heard "Hasta..." (for Hasta luego), probably similar to "Later" which I hear a lot of kids say here.
    If you have different ones, post them please.
    Thanks, DeBaires.
    alot of chicanos{as} use alratoz ....orra pues things like that

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by chavez.hidalgo View Post
    alot of chicanos{as} use alratoz ....orra pues things like that
    chicanos, or pochos (here in BC)... hehe is so funny...

I was waiting in my car, in the line border to USA.. and was a guy speaking in spanish (chicano)... and when he said "I will call you back", he translated it so literally "te regreso la llamada pa'tras"...... oh my..... was soo funny hear his spanglish..........

12. La Jefa said:

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post

adios

My friends in Puerto Rico always just say, "Ok bye" even when the rest of the conversation is in Spanish. jaja

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by La Jefa View Post
    My friends in Puerto Rico always just say, "Ok bye" even when the rest of the conversation is in Spanish. jaja
    Es una pena utilizar palabras de otra lengua cuando existen las propias, eso empobrece el idioma
    Aquí tenemos tenemos un dicho "no giris sa llengo" literalmente significa "no gires la lengua"

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Es una pena utilizar palabras de otra lengua cuando existen las propias, eso empobrece el idioma
    Aquí tenemos tenemos un dicho "no giris sa llengo" literalmente significa "no gires la lengua"
    Estoy completamente de acuerdo contigo, si bien en México también es muy frecuente despedirse con un simple "bye" (especialmente al hablar por telefono)

Zahra2008 said:

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo Xiurell... but to be honest... here in BC, Mexico.. we use many english words... coz we live so near with USA... is kind of normal to us... even my mom, she doesnt speak english at all.. and when i say to her "mom, u r speaking english", she told me "i didnt know till u said so"

damarys said:

Los idiomas cambian con el tiempo. Las influencias de una lengua a otra no es nada nuevo. Uno puede decir que el latino se murio pero oimos la influencia de esa lengua muerta en muchos idiomas. El Español ha enfluenciado mucho al Ingles norteamericano.
    Lo triste es que hay palabras hermosas que ya no se usan, que no estan de moda. Pero siempre hay nuevas que son intersantes tambien y enriquecen el lenguage de una forma diferente.

xiurell said:

Lo sé, un idioma es algo vivo y va evolucionandocon el tiempo, pero a veces ves cada construcción gramatical que parecen traducciones literales del inglés que te dejan con la boca abierta.

Bueno os wacharé por el foro,

Buen fin de semana a todos y todas

Zahra2008 said:

Lo sé, un idioma es algo vivo y va evolucionandocon el tiempo, pero a veces ves cada construcción gramatical que parecen traducciones literales del inglés que te dejan con la boca abierta.

Bueno os wacharé por el foro,

Buen fin de semana a todos y todas
    hehe, wachare.... no lo uso por lo mismo.. pero en mis hermanos es my comun que nos digan "ahi nos wachamos"

19. dmoney101 said:

does anyone know what sofokao means? i asked my friend from santo domingo and he gave me examples, but i don't really get it all that much. his examples were

1. I'm jogging, and I'm all tired, breathless... I'm sofocao
    2. When you are so into a chick that you are all over her, calling her, texting her.. .. she would say "me tienes sofocao"!
    3. This is kinda the same as #2 but just so you understand better: I'm at work and I have so much to do, a lot of paperwork and stuff... I'm sofocao

and then again

-estoy sofocao con esta jeva ombe, no me deja tranquilo!
    -este calor me tiene sofocao!
    -Estoy sofocao de tanto correr

is it supposed to be suffocated?

citlalli said:

yes, "sofocao" (sofocado) means "suffocated" and it can be used in both a literal or in a figurative sense.