Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

citlalli said:

"ya ni la chingas"... hehe...100% mexican ... difficult to translate... mhhh...let me think... something like "Gosh!!! I can't believe it... u couldn't have done anything worse".

And I wouldn't say it's really vulgar... It's very colloquial, that's all; everyone says it... even me
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Zahra2008 said:

haha, its too vulgar... and really difficult to translate... we prefer to use... "ya ni la friegas" sounds a little bit less vulgar ...heheh
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

damarys said:

"Fregar" to Cubans is to wash dishes or wash the floor. You can imagine what my Mexican friends growing up would say when they would hear me say, "Voy a fregar". I also drank my "malta" (non alcoholic malt drink) in those dark glass bottles, so everyone thought I drank beer as a child and cussed like a sailor.

So, the translation to the phrase is a colloquial, sometimes vulgar/offensive way of saying.... "I can't believe it. You really messed up this time". Is this correct?

I grew up understanding, in my dialect, that "chingar" was a word for copulation. Funny/interesting how things are different from one dialect to another.

Zahra2008 said:

yeah, here in Mexico (other cities) its also used as "wash the dishes or floor" ...

but fregar/chin... can also means annoy/bother and even kick or punch someone

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    I grew up understanding, in my dialect, that "chingar" was a word for copulation. Funny/interesting how things are different from one dialect to another.
    Yes, it also has that meaning for us, but it's used only very rarely in that sense... much more commonly it's like what u urself said "u really messed it up"... or like what Zahra said "to beat someone" (hence "dar una chinga"= beat the crap out of someone )
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

6. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    yeah, here in Mexico (other cities) its also used as "wash the dishes or floor" ...

but fregar/chin... can also means annoy/bother and even kick or punch someone

for me, when i say chingar it's like using F***, but not in a sexual way. to annoy i would either use joder or moletar. when i first read that i thought you just meant the word "chin" and i was wondering how that means to annoy lol. when i say "un chin" it just means a little bit (more than un poquito, but more than un poco i think)

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    for me, when i say chingar it's like using F***, but not in a sexual way. to annoy i would either use joder or moletar. when i first read that i thought you just meant the word "chin" and i was wondering how that means to annoy lol. when i say "un chin" it just means a little bit (more than un poquito, but more than un poco i think)
    hehe, yeah chin... is also little too much, es mucho, es un resto... mucho, mucho....

8. dmoney101 said:

hehe, yeah chin... is also little too much, es mucho, es un resto... mucho, mucho....
    chin is mucho for you? "aki no se dice mucho, aki se dice un frakatan"

Zahra2008 said:

bueno exactamente mucho, no... pero si, demasiado/bastante

but i dont use that word.. what i say, my friends/family gave that meaning for such word

10. dmoney101 said:

bueno exactamente mucho, no... pero si, demasiado/bastante

but i dont use that word.. what i say, my friends/family gave that meaning for such word
    that's weird, chin means the exact opposite in RD from what it is in MX. usually, slang words like that are somewhat related in each country

DeBaires said:

Any idea how to say "badass" as both an adjective & as a noun?

12. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    chingon is the adjective (only in mexico though), the noun, i have no idea. i'd call a badass a tiguere, but that's kinda like a gangster, so it's not really "badass"

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    I've seen it translate it as: idiota, tarado, estupido

14. dmoney101 said:

I've seen it translate it as: idiota, tarado, estupido
    lol, those aren't the words i'd use for a badass.

DeBaires said:

Lol, I think you're getting i confused with "dumbas$".

16. boricamami07 said:

chingon is the adjective (only in mexico though), the noun, i have no idea. i'd call a badass a tiguere, but that's kinda like a gangster, so it's not really "badass"
    I'd call it a tiguere too but it does hav a different meaning 2it...
    Its more like da badass gangster kind...

17. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by boricamami07 View Post
    I'd call it a tiguere too but it does hav a different meaning 2it...
    Its more like da badass gangster kind...
    yea, plus tiguere has the sense of knowing what's going on in the streets too. you say tiguere even though you're puerto rican?

18. boricamami07 said:

yea, plus tiguere has the sense of knowing what's going on in the streets too. you say tiguere even though you're puerto rican?
    iNEVA DiD CUZ iNEVA KNEW OF DAT WORD UNTiL ARCANGEL MADE DAT SONG TiGUERE

19. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by boricamami07 View Post
    iNEVA DiD CUZ iNEVA KNEW OF DAT WORD UNTiL ARCANGEL MADE DAT SONG TiGUERE
    arcangel is dominican. i can't stand him at all though. i've heard puerto ricans using a lot of the dominican rappers' words before. ñengo flow used the word palomo in one of his new songs. i was super surprised when i heard it.

damarys said:

What does "palomo" mean? Paloma is dove....