Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsolable89 View Post
    que interesanteee, vi que ayudasteis a otros con el español y estoy impresionada, continuad con el buen trabajo, gracias por las traducciones. hehe ( people are happy with them )
    Gracias! Pa eso estamos mami...A la orden! Tranquilo y Humildon!
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

Inconsolable89 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Gracias! Pa eso estamos mami...A la orden! Tranquilo y Humildon!
    hehe thanks
    que edad teneis? ( solo si quereis ponerlo en el foro )

bebestylee said:

hehe thanks
    que edad teneis? ( solo si quereis ponerlo en el foro )
    Noo Tranquila...Tengo 23 Años
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

Zahra2008 said:

Gracias de corazon! No fijate...Me Criee aka fuera...como decimos los boricuas! O Sea...que me criee en los Estados Unidos....Yo se el Español por que viajo much a Puerto Rico a ver a mi papa...y mi familia...y tambien lo se por el Reggaeton....Como la mayoria de la musica que escucho es Reggaeton....Y lo se escribir porque mi abuela me hacia leer la bibilia en español...so fui aprendiendo solo.....Jajaja...pero gracias!
    ohhh you granny made you read the Bible on spanish, that's nice.... and Im reading the Bible in english (spanish at one side english at other)
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    ohhh you granny made you read the Bible on spanish, that's nice.... and Im reading the Bible in english (spanish at one side english at other)
    yeah my grandmother is a tough cookie! lol....I had to read the bible and stuff...I know a lot about the bible because of it. But I don't blame her because I learned a lot of beautiful things from the bible! It's awesome!

Inconsolable89 said:

yeah my grandmother is a tough cookie! lol....I had to read the bible and stuff...I know a lot about the bible because of it. But I don't blame her because I learned a lot of beautiful things from the bible! It's awesome!
    aah thats a very nice thing to say

bebestylee said:

aah thats a very nice thing to say
    Gracias!

8. boricamami07 said:

DiTO... YO QUiERO UNA ABUELA COMO ELLA...

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by boricamami07 View Post
    DiTO... YO QUiERO UNA ABUELA COMO ELLA...
    Chacho si....me Abuela brega al cien!!! Es una Santa! Ella es mi fundacion...sin ella no se que hago...de verdad! Pero Gracias por tu aporte! se agradece!

Al fin veo otro Boricua aqui....que no hay muchos! jajaja

Mucho Gusto Me llaman Bebe!

10. boricamami07 said:

Chacho si....me Abuela brega al cien!!! Es una Santa! Ella es mi fundacion...sin ella no se que hago...de verdad! Pero Gracias por tu aporte! se agradece!

Al fin veo otro Boricua aqui....que no hay muchos! jajaja

Mucho Gusto Me llaman Bebe!
    HOLA! SOY AGUSTiNA PERO MiS AMiGOS ME LLAMAN CHULY...

11. lewis said:

Quote Originally Posted by dominicanprince269 View Post
    Suelta en banda is like how boricuas say vete pal carajo but its the dominican version
    ACTUALLY soltar 'n vanda meas to back off (in the bad way thou, not like whta the police tell u but what u say to a friend that's on you'r face when u'r not in the mood)

got it

12. Che Gorda said:

Hi everybody! I'm from Florida, but I'm studying in Buenos Aires for a semester and I have some questions about Argentine slang.

-My friends and I were in the park and we couldn't open the beer bottle so we asked these guys if they could open it for us and the guy opened it with his phone and the other guy said something like "lo atamos con alambre" which I couldn't understand because they weren't tying anything with wire. So I figured it must be slang.

-What is a "diego" in reference to marijuana?

-And what is a patobica/patovica? (I don't know how it's spelled)

Thanks!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Che Gorda View Post
    Hi everybody! I'm from Florida, but I'm studying in Buenos Aires for a semester and I have some questions about Argentine slang.

-My friends and I were in the park and we couldn't open the beer bottle so we asked these guys if they could open it for us and the guy opened it with his phone and the other guy said something like "lo atamos con alambre" which I couldn't understand because they weren't tying anything with wire. So I figured it must be slang.

-What is a "diego" in reference to marijuana?

-And what is a patobica/patovica? (I don't know how it's spelled)

Thanks!
    Hey There and welcome....I'm not from Argentina but I found a great website that may be able to help you out:

http://argentineslang.wordpress.com/a/

According to the site, here are the meanings to the words you were looking for:

diego [m] (proper personal name, from phonetic similarity with diez ‘ten’) 1 a ten percent, esp. in illegal business; a comission of a bribe that goes to the intermediary or facilitator; 2 ten-peso note, the amount of ten pesos (or whatever currency unit). See also gamba, luca, palo.

patovica [m] a person who guards the access to discos, clubs, etc., and/or are in charge of taking drunkards and discriminated minorities out; often associated with gym-trained, medication-enhanced muscular types.

So if I had to guess a Diego is equivalent to a dime bag if he was referring to Mary J.

and Patovica is probably a bouncer or a muscle head....a body builder type who lives in the gym.

I don't know...I could be wrong...just trying to be helpful!....hope this was useful! Take Care!

14. Che Gorda said:

That link is awesome. Thanks so much!

15. dmoney101 said:

does anyone know what chapolin means (in the dominican republic) because i've noticed the word a lot lately, but i have no clue what it might be

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    does anyone know what chapolin means (in the dominican republic) because i've noticed the word a lot lately, but i have no clue what it might be
    can you put it in a sentence?

I'm pretty sure they are probably making fun of someone....El Chapolin Colorado was a comedic sitcom back in the day. It was actually pretty funny...I used to watch that all the time!

Zahra2008 said:

I'm pretty sure they are probably making fun of someone....El Chapolin Colorado was a comedic sitcom back in the day. It was actually pretty funny...I used to watch that all the time!
    Actually, the rigth name of the show is "Chapulin Colorado"....

Chapulin (from the Nahuatl chapolin: "insect that jump like ball rubber"). The term "Chapulín" is also used as a synonym for grasshopper, cricket or locust.

Chapulín Colorado's personality was so popular because even though it was cowardly and stupid (as opposed to the traditional heroes), managed to overcome their shortcomings and overcome their problems, and here lies the greatness of the human being.

If someone nicknamed is Chapulin or has to do with the insect, or with the characteristics that this Mexican TV character had...

I hope helped you
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

18. dmoney101 said:

Oh, i get it. Colorado means red in DR (idk about other countries) and that makes sense from the first time i heard it in the line
    "Y k lo ojo, lo tengo rojo, como el chapolin". that's actually a pretty good line (he was talkin about smokin)

19. lewis said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    a pathetic dude, derived from a old mexican TV series about a superhero (who was quite pathetic since he had not actual power, and always chickened out against villains), Also means a "NOBODY"

but if what they say is that they have the I's red like chapulin then it means somethig else (s.t. like there smoking weed or so)

20. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    a pathetic dude, derived from a old mexican TV series about a superhero (who was quite pathetic since he had not actual power, and always chickened out against villains), Also means a "NOBODY"

but if what they say is that they have the I's red like chapulin then it means somethig else (s.t. like there smoking weed or so)
    yea, i figured that one out. pretty good metaphor. thanks for the other explanation too, i think i understand it now.