Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

damarys said:

The more the merrier! The best meals not only have delicious food but is shared with friends. Zahra and citlalli you are welcome to come join us.... BUT, what will you bring? Me encanta la comida Mexicana tambien. Hoy me comi un burrito de carna asada... y ay! Que delicioso!

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    i forgot to add, the other day i was in Walmart and saw a little kid with a Chapulin Colorado shirt on. that was pretty cool

oh, and platanos fritos are the beeeeest!!! my friend's mom made some one day and oh my God!!! they were so good. why do white people get stuck with all the bland foods? we never get nothin jaja
    LOL!!! When I first came to the US I thought North American food was pretty bland (no offense to my Canadian friends). That's funny that you should say that.

Anyway, I can teach you how to fry your own platanos fritos, if you want. It soooo easy! You can find them in most supermarkets now. Walmart here where I live sells them for 50 cents each. My mom says it's highway robbery but she's in Southern California where they have easier access to platanos. Do you like them maduros (sweet) or salty? There are so many ways to make them (technique wise) but you really don't need anything but a frying pan and oil.
    Last edited by damarys; 11-14-2008 at 12:29 PM.

3. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    LOL!!! When I first came to the US I thought North American food was pretty bland (no offense to my Canadian friends). That's funny that you should say that.

Anyway, I can teach you how to fry your own plantanos fritos, if you want. It soooo easy! You can find them in most supermarkets now. Walmart here where I live sells them for 50 cents each. My mom says it's highway robbery but she's in Southern California where they have easier access to plantanos. Do you like them maduros (sweet) or salty? There are so many ways to make them (technique wise) but you really don't need anything but a frying pan and oil.
    the sweet ones are the best. the only north american food (other than mexican) that's good is southern/soul food. i loooove fried chicken and fish

psychedelic_sam said:

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    a pathetic dude, derived from a old mexican TV series about a superhero (who was quite pathetic since he had not actual power, and always chickened out against villains), Also means a "NOBODY"
    Hmm... I think you're the pathetic one for making those comments about something you didn't lived or experienced('cause us hispanic people did)...
    Amm hehe.. I'm sorry to everyone else if I seem agressive, but that really bothered me .. haha... ohhh and I virtually invite you some enchiladas! hahaha <3
    Attached Images
    Tyttö epäkunnossa...

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    the sweet ones are the best. the only north american food (other than mexican) that's good is southern/soul food. i loooove fried chicken and fish
    I love Southern food too! When I went to visit New Orleans (before the Katrina storm) I was so taken by their food. It was very Caribbean and VERY delicious!!! I also have to say, that North American desserts are terrific. I was dissapointed when I first came from the tropics by the limited variety of fruits in the US but... North Americans sure have a sweet tooth! Cheesecake anyone? How about all those cobblers and pies? Ice cream? I can forgive blandness of foods if you follow it up with a fabulous desert!

citlalli said:

The more the merrier! The best meals not only have delicious food but is shared with friends. Zahra and citlalli you are welcome to come join us.... BUT, what will you bring? Me encanta la comida Mexicana tambien. Hoy me comi un burrito de carna asada... y ay! Que delicioso!
    Mmhhh... after long thinking, I decided I should bring something typically mexican.... so, here we are (I hope u all will like it!!):

Mole

And of course something to drink: horchata, tamarindo, jamaica & co.

Hi Dmoney and Sam
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

bebestylee said:

Bueno migente...con la hambre que me dieron...I had to go look up some food myself....I can't post everything I wanted too! lol...pero les dejo con un Pastelon ahi de Platanos....y un Mofongito de Camarones con un caldo de Pollo a la criolla! These are some of my favorite foods to eat when I go to PR. Un Pastelon ahi con Arroz con gandules y bistec encebollao. Chacho...eso la hace! O un Mofongito ahi de Camarones o de Churrasco o de Carne frita en el Pilon....Hay no...let me stop! ja ja
    Attached Images
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

damarys said:

citlalli... I LOVE mole! Gracias! And psychedelic Sam, enchiladas are the best! bebestylee, I have no idea what a mofongito is, but I have never had any Puerto Rican food I didn't like. Delicioso.
    I'm going to have to go run a couple of extra miles today, just to burn off all this food!!!

bebestylee said:

jajaja...bueno Pastelon is like a Lasagne except instead of Pasta you use Platanos.....It's awesome!!!

and Mofongo is Smashed Platanos in a Pilon...you kinda make it into a ball and stuff it with Carne Frita, Churrasco, Camarones.....whatever you want....and it you eat it with Caldo de Pollo o Pescao....So good!
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    jajaja...bueno Pastelon is like a Lasagne except instead of Pasta you use Platanos.....It's awesome!!!

and Mofongo is Smashed Platanos in a Pilon...you kinda make it into a ball and stuff it with Carne Frita, Churrasco, Camarones.....whatever you want....and it you eat it with Caldo de Pollo o Pescao....So good!
    In Cuba, we make fufu, which is mashed platanos (not the sweet ones) with milk, garlic and onions and stuff. BUT I bet it would be delicious to stuff them like your mofongo, like papas rellenas. Maybe people in Cuba cook monfongo, but never made it to my kitched! Otra pregunta, what's "churrasco"?
    Do you guys eat buñuelos con miel?

bebestylee said:

In Cuba, we make fufu, which is mashed platanos (not the sweet ones) with milk, garlic and onions and stuff. BUT I bet it would be delicious to stuff them like your mofongo, like papas rellenas. Maybe people in Cuba cook monfongo, but never made it to my kitched! Otra pregunta, what's "churrasco"?
    Do you guys eat buñuelos con miel?
    Fufu sounds a lot like Mofongo...minus the milk....

Buñuelos con miel...no but that sounds delicious! I've had Colombian Buñuelos that were off the hook!

Churrasco is like carne asada o a la parilla. Grilled Steak preparao a certain way. En una salsa ahi that's really good!

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Bueno migente...con la hambre que me dieron...I had to go look up some food myself....I can't post everything I wanted too! lol...pero les dejo con un Pastelon ahi de Platanos....y un Mofongito de Camarones con un caldo de Pollo a la criolla! These are some of my favorite foods to eat when I go to PR. Un Pastelon ahi con Arroz con gandules y bistec encebollao. Chacho...eso la hace! O un Mofongito ahi de Camarones o de Churrasco o de Carne frita en el Pilon....Hay no...let me stop! ja ja
    jajaja... cuando leí este mensaje me quedé un poco confundida , pero tras leer la explicación creo que debo probar la comida boricua a la primer oportunidad ... todo se oye y se ve muuuuuuy rico!

Damarys, ¿son los buñuelos cubanos como los mexicanos? (los mexicanos son delgaditititos...yum yum)
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    jajaja... cuando leí este mensaje me quedé un poco confundida , pero tras leer la explicación creo que debo probar la comida boricua a la primer oportunidad ... todo se oye y se ve muuuuuuy rico!

Damarys, ¿son los buñuelos cubanos como los mexicanos? (los mexicanos son delgaditititos...yum yum)
    Me gustan mucho los buñuelos mexicanos pero no son la misma cosa. La masa es hecha de viandas como malanga, yuca, etc. Hacen la masa y la ponen en la forma de un "ocho" o un "pretzle"... asi:

Luego se embarra con miel! Riquisimo! Y si... la comida Puerto Riqueña es deliciosa tambien.... por lo menos lo que yo he comido. Muy parecida a la comida cubana.

bebestylee said:

Me gustan mucho los buñuelos mexicanos pero no son la misma cosa. La masa es hecha de viandas como malanga, yuca, etc. Hacen la masa y la ponen en la forma de un "ocho" o un "pretzle"... asi:

Luego se embarra con miel! Riquisimo! Y si... la comida Puerto Riqueña es deliciosa tambien.... por lo menos lo que yo he comido. Muy parecida a la comida cubana.
    Eaaa Rayoooo mi amor Cuando me vas a cocinar!?! jaja

citlalli said:

Jajajajaja... Bebestylee, realmente me hiciste reir con tus palabras para Damarys XD

Y Damarys... gracias por la aclaraci&#243;n

Zahra2008 said:

Bueno, pues aqui estan los buñuelos mexicanos

the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Jajajajaja... Bebestylee, realmente me hiciste reir con tus palabras para Damarys XD

Y Damarys... gracias por la aclaración
    Gracias....es que tambien soy Comediante! jaja

bebestylee said:

Y estos son los Buñuelos Colombianos que me encantan!!!! Con una tasa de Cafe...o Chocolate caliente! hay bendito mi gente...pero aqui uno se queda con hambre! Que Pasa? ja ja
    Attached Images

damarys said:

Ahora que sabemos que hay tantos diferentes tipos the bu&#241;uelos,&#191;que les parece si hablamos de tamales?

Los tamales cubanos so hechos con maiz tierno y puerco.... muy diferents a los tamales mexicanos. Me encantan los tamales guatemaltecos y los nicaraguences tambien. Es interesante como podemos usar palabras familiares, pero con diferente significado.

bedroomeyes said:

Mmmm, all that food sounds delicious! As for tamales, I love the ones from Mexico de frijol con queso y de res. I like those better than the ones from Colombia where I was born. Maybe it's the masa or the leaves they're cooked in or the other ingredients. I'm not too good with the cooking details--I'm more an eater than a cook. But I haven't tried any from other countries. Sounds like I'm missing out!