Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

bebestylee said:

We don't have Tamales.....we have Pasteles. Same concept...different name. You have the masa which is platanos verdes..put through the blender..with a some achote...then you have the carne with potatoes prepared how you want it....then you put the meat in the masa....wrap it up in una oja de guineo...and now you have a little rectangle of heaven!
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

bedroomeyes said:

Wow, I didn't know Puerto Ricans had their own version of the tamal. By the way, those buñuelos you put up really brought back memories Bebestylee! I don't see those very much down south. But anyways, pasteles to us are like pastries and down here tortas to the people from Mexico are like sandwiches but Colombians consider them cakes. Go figure! And don't get me started on empanadas!

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by bedroomeyes View Post
    Wow, I didn't know Puerto Ricans had their own version of the tamal. By the way, those buñuelos you put up really brought back memories Bebestylee! I don't see those very much down south. But anyways, pasteles to us are like pastries and down here tortas to the people from Mexico are like sandwiches but Colombians consider them cakes. Go figure! And don't get me started on empanadas!
    .... and what about "tortillas"? For cubans, a tortilla is an egg omelette, not the delicious flour and corn tortillas from mexico. That was a shock to me.

By the way, to all of you from around the world, Obama has been declared president of the US about a 1/2 hour ago. Just letting you all know!

Zahra2008 said:

I dont want to sound rude, but I think we need a General chit chat off-topic discussion... dont you think???

'cause this thread is for spanish slang clarificacions... and we are talking about food!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

citlalli said:

...culinary slang Zahra querida LOL (j/k)

Bedroomeyes: A good friend of mine who's colombian came to my wedding (in Mexico), and we went out for dinner and she ordered at the restaurant a "torta de chocolate" .....hahahahaha... imagine the waiter's face at this weird request

Damarys: Thanks for the news!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

6. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    By the way, to all of you from around the world, Obama has been declared president of the US about a 1/2 hour ago. Just letting you all know!
    too bad

yea, every country has totally different stuff with the same name. i was looking up an horchata recipe and there was horchata from just about every latino country

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by bedroomeyes View Post
    Yeah...Our so called version of the Tamale is Better! lol....j/k. Yeah we call little pastries and stuff Pastels too. Like we have Pastel de Guayaba which is like a fluffy toasted dough square with Pasta de Guayaba inside of it. De li cious!!!

I'm glad those brought back good memories...I go to the colombian store all the time and get those. They are amazing! everytime I have people over for stuff..I usually get some.....With a cup of coffee you can't beat it!

Cakes for us though...Like Birthday cakes are called Bizcochos.
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    .... and what about "tortillas"? For cubans, a tortilla is an egg omelette, not the delicious flour and corn tortillas from mexico. That was a shock to me.
    Not a fan of Tortillas....Maybe i'm not having the right ones. A Honduran family that I know made me some with cheese one day. I ate it to be respectful...but wasn't exactly delightful....But hey i'm willing to try it again!

Hmm that's interesting...in PR an Omelet, I believe we call it a Rebortillo. Which is usually eggs with different condiments like Ham, Cheese, Salt, Pepper or Peppers scrambled into an omelet.

walking_on_air10 said:

what is a zandugueara? or sandungueara?
    idk how to spell it

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by walking_on_air10 View Post
    what is a zandugueara? or sandungueara?
    idk how to spell it
    Sandunguer(-a/-o) is someone who dances or succumbs to Sandunga which is reggaeton. Nothing really special to the name...just used to define a person who who goes to the club all the time to "perriar" which is basically dance Reggaeton.

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Sandunguer(-a/-o) is someone who dances or succumbs to Sandunga which is reggaeton. Nothing really special to the name...just used to define a person who who goes to the club all the time to "perriar" which is basically dance Reggaeton.
    idk if it was a type-o, but it's spelled perrear (don't mean to sound like a culero, just thought i'd let you know ja)

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    idk if it was a type-o, but it's spelled perrear (don't mean to sound like a culero, just thought i'd let you know ja)
    not a type o...it's more of a preference if anything...it's like Reggaeton....Reggeton....Regueton....all depends on how you want to spell it! I spelled it the way puerto ricans say it....makes it easier for the listener who is trying to learn. People like us who know spanish and know that the letters belong there that we are supposed to pronounce...then we spell it correctly. ya digg?

13. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    not a type o...it's more of a preference if anything...it's like Reggaeton....Reggeton....Regueton....all depends on how you want to spell it! I spelled it the way puerto ricans say it....makes it easier for the listener who is trying to learn. People like us who know spanish and know that the letters belong there that we are supposed to pronounce...then we spell it correctly. ya digg?
    i hate when it's spelled regueton, it doesn't even look like spanish jaja. i don't really say anything about spelling in spanish since i usually type how i talk (no s, r turns to l, etc)

14. lewis said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    well, Lewis... as mexican, I dont like your comment .... this serie is the best show ever in the mexican television... and I think also in South America...
    LOL
    hate the message not the messenger
    its just a slang anyways

15. Candi =] said:

im pretty sure im spelling them wrong but i hear people use these sayings all the time and would like to know what they mean. so i'll try to spell them the way they sound....

pasu madre
    si way
    sa wita
    hay culero

thanx

16. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Candi =] View Post
    im pretty sure im spelling them wrong but i hear people use these sayings all the time and would like to know what they mean. so i'll try to spell them the way they sound....

pasu madre
    si way
    sa wita
    hay culero

thanx

si wey is literally "yea dude" it can also be used sarcastically. a lot of people say "oh siiiii wey"

ay culero is just an expression calling someone an a-hole
    the other 2 i'm not sure about

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by Candi =] View Post

pasu madre
    si way
    sa wita
    hay culero

thanx

pa su madre (para su madre) literally means for your mother but it is like saying holy sh!+!

Example: Pa su madre! Se solto el perro!

Where did you hear sa wita? I haven't heard that in my life. Maybe the spelling?

citlalli said:

Se agüita (we mexicans say it) means "to become sad or upset"... estar agüitado= to be sad/depressed.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

19. Candi =] said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    pa su madre (para su madre) literally means for your mother but it is like saying holy sh!+!

Example: Pa su madre! Se solto el perro!

Where did you hear sa wita? I haven't heard that in my life. Maybe the spelling?
    its possible its because of spelling... but i spelled it how it sounds so i dont know. but thanx. =]

walking_on_air10 said:

what is a babillosa?