Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by walking_on_air10 View Post
    what is a babillosa?
    babilla = tener los cojones..to have the balls to do something

babilloso = is the male form

babillosa is the female form
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Candi =] View Post
    im pretty sure im spelling them wrong but i hear people use these sayings all the time and would like to know what they mean. so i'll try to spell them the way they sound....

sa wita
    "sa wita" = Se agüita (we mexicans say it), which means "to become sad or upset"... estar agüitado= to be sad/depressed.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

3. Candi =] said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    "sa wita" = Se agüita (we mexicans say it), which means "to become sad or upset"... estar agüitado= to be sad/depressed.
    thanks. im still in the process of learning spanish, so that really helped. =]

4. peRReaLa_cHiika said:

Question what is a cambumbo?? clothes hamper or something else??

I'm really confused... today i was listening to cambumbo by tego calderon and I don't really get the lyrics...isn't a cambumbo what you put dirty clothes in?? I'm puerto rican but not from P.R. so is that like slang for something else in P.R.??
    I thought cambumbo was like, Pasame el cambumbo de la ropa sucia que hoy voy a lavar. but once I heard someone say mira ese fatal con la boca como un cambumbo. A mouth like a clothes hamper??? PLEASE HELP!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by peRReaLa_cHiika View Post
    I'm really confused... today i was listening to cambumbo by tego calderon and I don't really get the lyrics...isn't a cambumbo what you put dirty clothes in?? I'm puerto rican but not from P.R. so is that like slang for something else in P.R.??
    I thought cambumbo was like, Pasame el cambumbo de la ropa sucia que hoy voy a lavar. but once I heard someone say mira ese fatal con la boca como un cambumbo. A mouth like a clothes hamper??? PLEASE HELP!
    Cambumbo.....It depends how you use it I guess...I've heard it many different ways. But I guess the most widely used one is 'Una Lata Grande' or like a big opening...

Other ways i've heard it:
    Cambumbo: Lata grande, abierto grande, marijuana, wow, el mas grande.
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by CoriInKW View Post
    Bonche- can mean LOAD, but I'd have to haer it in the song
    Gema- depending on contex can mean Gem like "Tu eres mi gema" (you are my gem) kinda like a term of endearment
    Coquetea- flirts
    Bonche - In DR is like a party with close freinds or people in tu barrio/ but it can also mean Alot

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    LOL!!! When I first came to the US I thought North American food was pretty bland (no offense to my Canadian friends). That's funny that you should say that.

Anyway, I can teach you how to fry your own plantanos fritos, if you want. It soooo easy! You can find them in most supermarkets now. Walmart here where I live sells them for 50 cents each. My mom says it's highway robbery but she's in Southern California where they have easier access to plantanos. Do you like them maduros (sweet) or salty? There are so many ways to make them (technique wise) but you really don't need anything but a frying pan and oil.
    Oye k lo k pana!?!? Tengo un cuestion pa ti.......eres dominicano/a? Porque tu sabes mucho de platano y tu sabe k to nos dominicanos no podemo vivir sin platano jaja!! ete manana mi pana ( quien es un gringo) se trato' hacel mangu pero..... el falta! Se fue horible jaja pero le ayude! And then it got better and then I made some yanikeke pa nosotros and he was trippin on how good it was, he try to convince me to sell it to make profit jaja!

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Candi =] View Post
    thanks. im still in the process of learning spanish, so that really helped. =]
    You're welcome
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by dominicanprince269 View Post
    Oye k lo k pana!?!? Tengo un cuestion pa ti.......eres dominicano/a? Porque tu sabes mucho de platano y tu sabe k to nos dominicanos no podemo vivir sin platano jaja!! ete manana mi pana ( quien es un gringo) se trato' hacel mangu pero..... el falta! Se fue horible jaja pero le ayude! And then it got better and then I made some yanikeke pa nosotros and he was trippin on how good it was, he try to convince me to sell it to make profit jaja!
    Soy Cubana, asi que somos como primos, no? No se lo que es "yanikeke".... can you describe it?

dominicanprince269 said:

Soy Cubana, asi que somos como primos, no? No se lo que es "yanikeke".... can you describe it?
    jaja
    Primos o algo como asi, pero yanikeke "johnny cake' is frieddough with queso, huevo frito, pollo o k tu kiere inside of it. Its good as hell mami!

damarys said:

jaja
    Primos o algo como asi, pero yanikeke "johnny cake' is frieddough with queso, huevo frito, pollo o k tu kiere inside of it. Its good as hell mami!
    Sounds delicious!!! I'm going to have to find myself a Dominican restaurant next time I'm in a big metropolitan city.
    So many foods to try out! So little time!!!!

12. lewis said:

Quote Originally Posted by peRReaLa_cHiika View Post
    actually that word come from greek. They used it in old greek to describe the object that people used in the publics baths to pour water on themselves. Although nowadays the meaning have changed slightly describing almost any object where any item especially the one use for the house are stored.

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    actually that word come from greek. They used it in old greek to describe the object that people used in the publics baths to pour water on themselves. Although nowadays the meaning have changed slightly describing almost any object where any item especially the one use for the house are stored.
    Diablo mano...te guillaste de Encyclopedia! jaja...quizas lo que dices es verdad...pero en PR cuando uno se llama Cambumbo o habla del Cambumbo...significa que el es como 'WOW' el caballo...el que la monta....el cangri... what in english they would call 'The Man'

14. lewis said:

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Diablo mano...te guillaste de Encyclopedia! jaja...quizas lo que dices es verdad...pero en PR cuando uno se llama Cambumbo o habla del Cambumbo...significa que el es como 'WOW' el caballo...el que la monta....el cangri... what in english they would call 'The Man'
    de encyclopedia?????? hehehe
    ya tu ve cada ken con lo sullo

pero si evelda lo k tu dice. yo me e fijao k en peltorro le cambian el meaning a la palabraz very often.

like manga' in puerto rico means red-handed or something like that
    Am I right? (don't let me lie bro) but everywhere else (or at least every where else where I've been to) it means to either beat up some1 or to steal some1's girl.

BTW my dog's called cangry
    and he's not a "the man", matter of fact he's not even "A" man. so you were wrong in that one

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    de encyclopedia?????? hehehe
    ya tu ve cada ken con lo sullo

pero si evelda lo k tu dice. yo me e fijao k en peltorro le cambian el meaning a la palabraz very often.

like manga' in puerto rico means red-handed or something like that
    Am I right? (don't let me lie bro) but everywhere else (or at least every where else where I've been to) it means to either beat up some1 or to steal some1's girl.

BTW my dog's called cangry
    and he's not a "the man", matter of fact he's not even "A" man. so you were wrong in that one
    first off Cangri is the man....Un cangri es un tipo bien duro...que le mete mano a cualquiera. lol so you'll probably name a pitbull or Rottweiler that.

una Manga is a hose....if used in a sentence it'll mean to hose you down...te voy en mangar....but if you say te enmangaron....well that means they caught you red handed.....it can be used many different ways.....that's why it's not easy to understand Puerto Rican Hip Hop and Reggaeton.

dominicanprince269 said:

first off Cangri is the man....Un cangri es un tipo bien duro...que le mete mano a cualquiera. lol so you'll probably name a pitbull or Rottweiler that.

una Manga is a hose....if used in a sentence it'll mean to hose you down...te voy en mangar....but if you say te enmangaron....well that means they caught you red handed.....it can be used many different ways.....that's why it's not easy to understand Puerto Rican Hip Hop and Reggaeton.
    In DR mangar means to get or got like " Ya yo mangue to!" meaning I already got everything or " Tu mujel kiere mangarme!" meaning your women wants to get me as in tu mujer es un infiel y ella me kiere rapame! OITE!! TU SABE K LO K!!

dominicanprince269 said:

and Cangri does mean the man as in the guy that everybody respects and all the little jociadores en el barrio kieren ser como el! Thats why DY calls himself el cangri because he is well respected in his hood!

bebestylee said:

and Cangri does mean the man as in the guy that everybody respects and all the little jociadores en el barrio kieren ser como el! Thats why DY calls himself el cangri because he is well respected in his hood!
    I know that......you didn't! lol

dominicanprince269 said:

Sounds delicious!!! I'm going to have to find myself a Dominican restaurant next time I'm in a big metropolitan city.
    So many foods to try out! So little time!!!!
    Jaja tu ta loca! Pero si tu kieres encontrar la mejor comida dominicana necesitas conocer a alguien dominicano tu lo abe! Because it will not be the same in a restaurant, it will still be good, but everybody uses different ways to season and cook dominican food. Like when mi abuelita makes mangu she boils the platano in chicken broth and echa sal y pimienta and when its done she melts cheese over the top! So u have to have a dominican friend whose mom throws down hard in the kitchen if u want the real deal!

20. lewis said:

ella me kiere rapame! !
    DOOD watch (and wash)your mouth, there are kidz here too.

what is wrong with you' people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    quod me non interficit me confirmat.