Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by dominicanprince269 View Post
    Jaja tu ta loca! Pero si tu kieres encontrar la mejor comida dominicana necesitas conocer a alguien dominicano tu lo abe! Because it will not be the same in a restaurant, it will still be good, but everybody uses different ways to season and cook dominican food. Like when mi abuelita makes mangu she boils the platano in chicken broth and echa sal y pimienta and when its done she melts cheese over the top! So u have to have a dominican friend whose mom throws down hard in the kitchen if u want the real deal!
    I wish! I live in a very isolated part of the country. There are no Cubans around (other than me), much less Dominicanos. I can go weeks without talking to any one in Spanish. Por eso llamo a mi mami cada semana por telefono.
    Last edited by damarys; 11-18-2008 at 01:54 PM.

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    I wish! I live in a vary isolated part of the country. There are no Cubans around (other than me), much less Dominicanos. I can go weeks without talking to any one in Spanish. Por eso llamo a mi mami cada semana por telefono.
    acho mija...mudate para k y tu veras que ingles va ser lo menos que hablas! jaja
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

3. kym said:

heyy i was wonderin if anyone could help me clarify somethin. whenever i ask people what "mamao" means everyone tells me suttin different. i used to hear it all the time when i was at one of my puerto rican friends house, his dad would always be mad yellin at them an he was always sayin that, they told me it meant like, d umba$s. then lata i said it once in front of my boyfriend who is pr, peruvian and brazilian an he got real offended an said it was a real bad word that i shouldnt eva say it, then i asked a colombian friend an she said it was like bein drunk or suttin. i was jus wonderin if someone could please ayudame porque tengo ganas de hablar con fluidez pero no me entiendo las palabras como esta. gracias =)

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by kym View Post
    heyy i was wonderin if anyone could help me clarify somethin. whenever i ask people what "mamao" means everyone tells me suttin different. i used to hear it all the time when i was at one of my puerto rican friends house, his dad would always be mad yellin at them an he was always sayin that, they told me it meant like, d umba$s. then lata i said it once in front of my boyfriend who is pr, peruvian and brazilian an he got real offended an said it was a real bad word that i shouldnt eva say it, then i asked a colombian friend an she said it was like bein drunk or suttin. i was jus wonderin if someone could please ayudame porque tengo ganas de hablar con fluidez pero no me entiendo las palabras como esta. gracias =)
    mamao = sucker or co*k su*ker....it can be offensive depending on who you say it to or how you say it...but the direct translation to the word is the above....
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

5. kym said:

ooo iight thanks =)

i also have one more question. in hector el father's song sola, i understand it all except part of the beginnin. i found the lyrics online dunno if theyre right but

"no es normal no
    y cada lagrima
    q brota de su vida
    ta' perdida
    no no no es normal
    y el silencio del ataque
    le duele caderidad
    y tengo el presentimiento
    de que llora por dentro"

que significa "caderidad"??
    Last edited by kym; 11-18-2008 at 11:27 AM.

xiurell said:

I think is wrong written

"le duele cada herida" has more sense

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    I think is wrong written

"le duele cada herida" has more sense
    That's exactly right sir! lol

damarys said:

Back to your original question... after the insight from xiurell and bebestyle... here is the translation:

"le duele cada herida" - "each wound hurts him/her"

9. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dominicanprince269 View Post
    Jaja tu ta loca! Pero si tu kieres encontrar la mejor comida dominicana necesitas conocer a alguien dominicano tu lo abe! Because it will not be the same in a restaurant, it will still be good, but everybody uses different ways to season and cook dominican food. Like when mi abuelita makes mangu she boils the platano in chicken broth and echa sal y pimienta and when its done she melts cheese over the top! So u have to have a dominican friend whose mom throws down hard in the kitchen if u want the real deal!
    hell yea, i wish i had a hispanic abuela. i love when my one friend's grandma is at home (she went back to mexico for a while) because every time i go over, she always cooks the best tastin stuff ever. i don't even know how she does it because it takes like 10 minutes to put together something delicious.

and btw, you're the only person on this forum that i understand 100% of the time. i have no idea how i managed to learn dominican spanish so well, but i can barely understand when a latin american tries to talk to me jaja

Urbaniak said:

Hello arux
    Do you know what a
    mezurista
    is?
    It was a word in Lo que paso by Daddy Yankee
    Thanks a lot Joyce

Zahra2008 said:

mesura=moderation, restraint

mesurista: a person who acts with restraint

but Im not sure, if in the song of Daddy Yankee have that meaning!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Urbaniak said:

Bedroom eyes was kind enough to translate
    Noche de entierra THE REMIX with Ivy Queen Daddy Yankee
    He had trouble with these "slang" expressions
    Anyone care to help?

Caballota
    jeva
    ajore
    calmona
    satas
    algarete
    entola

Thanks Joyce
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Urbaniak View Post
    Bedroom eyes was kind enough to translate
    Noche de entierra THE REMIX with Ivy Queen Daddy Yankee
    He had trouble with these "slang" expressions
    Anyone care to help?

Caballota
    jeva
    ajore
    calmona
    satas
    algarete
    entola

Thanks Joyce
    Caballota is Ivy Queen's nickname...it's like saying she's the best female in reggaeton.

Jeva just means girl...like "Ivy Queen es mi jeva" Ivy Queen is my girl....

Ajore means to rush...No me ajore = don't rush me

Calmona means to do it calm...Yo voy calmona pa la disco...o voy pa la disco calmona...means I go to the club calm

Satas just means loose, horny girls....Gatas satas...loose(easy) girls

Algarete is like crazy...out of control....

entola is like physical condition....it depends on the context in which its used.

Zahra2008 said:

@Bebe.... wow do you really are a slangs guru!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    @Bebe.... wow do you really are a slangs guru!!
    Jajaja Gracias! Esto es lo mio mai! Ya tengo como 14 años en esto! jaja.....

Urbaniak said:

Ohhh yeh
    bebe is the man!!!

abrazos para ti, mi amigo
    Joyce
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

17. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Caballota is Ivy Queen's nickname...it's like saying she's the best female in reggaeton.

Jeva just means girl...like "Ivy Queen es mi jeva" Ivy Queen is my girl....

Ajore means to rush...No me ajore = don't rush me

Calmona means to do it calm...Yo voy calmona pa la disco...o voy pa la disco calmona...means I go to the club calm

Satas just means loose, horny girls....Gatas satas...loose(easy) girls

Algarete is like crazy...out of control....

entola is like physical condition....it depends on the context in which its used.
    damn, you never give me the time to get on and answer any questions about slang jaja
    just wanna add that jeva can also be used as your "girlfriend" the way guys just call em their "girl" in english. i like novia better since it's a lil bit more respectful, but whatever you like jaja (it's better than tipa)

Urbaniak said:

Default Qué Sopa

I just foun out the meaning of this Panamanian slang, and thought I would post it here.

Qué sopa? is Panama's version of slang for what's up? It's sort of a pig latin for Qué pasa.
    And depending on your inflection, it can also mean what type of soup?
    I asked someone in a Yahoo group called Spanish in Panama.
    Here is a link to a video of the song. You can see from the actions of the people that they use like Qué pasa?
    It's nice to be able to answer a question on this forum. You a giving me so much help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoTbZIQfxC0

Big Hugs Joyce

19. dmoney101 said:

I just foun out the meaning of this Panamanian slang, and thought I would post it here.

Qué sopa? is Panama's version of slang for what's up? It's sort of a pig latin for Qué pasa.
    Here is a link to a video of the song. You can see from the actions of the people that they use like Qué pasa?
    It's nice to be able to answer a question on this forum. You a giving me so much help.

Big Hugs Joyce
    wow, i like the way they talk. his accent is cool. it reminds me of a Jamaican speaking Spanish

20. elsabelotodo said:

Big Hugs Joyce
    this **** goes hard right here, yeah, homie sounds like a Jamaican speaking spanish, you know most Panamains are of Jamaican ancestry.