Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post

Weird, huh?
    as you say.... vary country to country.... and cities to cities... coz when I travel to my beautiful México... I founded for the same word many differents ways to say it..
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    as you say.... vary country to country.... and cities to cities... coz when I travel to my beautiful México... I founded for the same word many differents ways to say it..
    I lived in Mexico for two years and I gotta say you guys have a unique name for every other thing haha.

3. l0r3na said:

kan somebody please tell mi wat does "acolatroniko" mean?
    randy uses it in a lot of his songs

4. karmenrundiss said:

guata uba uba

5. karmenrundiss said:

nota loka randy be sayin tht
    n tht song soy una gargola wat is he tryna say???[hes a stalker??]

6. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    I would say Coño! lol
    i use coño more for sh*t and diablo as damn

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    i use coño more for sh*t and diablo as damn
    Coño esa esta buena lol

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by karmenrundiss View Post
    What is the phrase you don't understand?

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by karmenrundiss View Post
    Randy says acolatronico....honestly I have no idea what it means....he uses it to describe Romantiqueo...he calls his music Romanitiqueo Acolatronico.

In 'Soy una Gargola' he's just saying that he's a Gargoyle because he comes to life at night. Much like a Vampire, Gargoyles come to life when he sun sets....

Soy una gargola
    I am a Gargoyle
    de noche salimos a deshacer
    At night we go out to unravel
    mujeres, discoteca, bailoteo, sobeteo
    Women, Clubs, Dancing, rubbing....
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

jlee90 said:

Question morena

what is MORENA i know its in some reggaeton songs and its a hair color

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by jlee90 View Post
    what is MORENA i know its in some reggaeton songs and its a hair color
    Yeah, it means brunette. It also means "dark/tan-skinned".

12. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    for most countries, that's what it means, but for me it's a person that's dark like african decent

jlee90 said:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post

so baila morena means dance tan girl.

damarys said:

Sort of... it's a term of endearment but it's generally referred to someone who is dark skinned.... not necessarily tanned... and not necessarily of african background. It's a very broad spectrum.

bedroomeyes said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Sort of... it's a term of endearment but it's generally referred to someone who is dark skinned.... not necessarily tanned... and not necessarily of african background. It's a very broad spectrum.
    As I've started to translate songs, I've noticed that these 'terms of endearment' don't really exist in English. 'Morena' and 'chinita' among others don't really translate well. I wonder if they exist in other Romantic languages as well. I know minimal French but I can't think of any words to convey this.

damarys said:

I don't know if this is more of the "political correctness" thing that we have going here in the states. My parents call each other "chino" and "china" but it would not be appropriate in the states for people to call each other "chinese man" and "chinese woman". People used to call each other "sugar", "honey" and "sweetie" but not it may be viewed as condescending in the current culture. I'm sure there are terms of enderment in English in the USA but they may be used more in the south or in rural areas.
    Interesting topic!

bedroomeyes said:

Interesting topic indeed! That's what sticks out to me when I watch movies from the seventies and even the eighties. The dialogue from back then would be unforgiveable today because of 'political correctness'. It might also be that in Latino culture we tend to be more upfront. I am not sure.

walking_on_air10 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    I don't know if this is more of the "political correctness" thing that we have going here in the states. My parents call each other "chino" and "china" but it would not be appropriate in the states for people to call each other "chinese man" and "chinese woman". People used to call each other "sugar", "honey" and "sweetie" but not it may be viewed as condescending in the current culture. I'm sure there are terms of enderment in English in the USA but they may be used more in the south or in rural areas.
    Interesting topic!
    yeah, here in the south, its normal to call someone that you don't even know "darling" (we say "dawlin" haha). but it wouldn't be okay to call someone dark-skinned or brown....everyone's just worried about offending someone....i guess we're just weird.

jlee90 said:

Unhappy

is this how spanish word order goes something like this

Subject + Verb + Complement (which can contain this order= adverb + direct object + indirect object + place + time)
    Example:
    María escribió rápidamente una carta a su tía en su recámara la semana pasada.

i've been have problema con spanish word order. necesito ayudame

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by jlee90 View Post
    is this how spanish word order goes something like this

Subject + Verb + Complement (which can contain this order= adverb + direct object + indirect object + place + time)
    Example:

i've been have problema con spanish word order. necesito ayudame
    Any of these is correct:

En su recámara, María escribió rápidamente una carta a su tía la semana pasada.

La semana pasada, María escribió rápidamente una carta a su tía en su recámara.

La semana pasada, en su recámara, María escribió rápidamente una carta a su tía.