Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

arux said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Okay... well I blew that in a translation I did recently. I thought vacilar was like vacillate, like in hesitating, thinking about something. Oh well... I may have to go back and fix that.
    Thanks!
    It is the same as vacillate in the formal sense, I just don't know how it ended up as a synonym of having a fun time. I think its because when you are vacillating you are like leaving things for later, enjoy the moment, that sort of thing. Like procrastination. But although "vacilar" is by definition tied to doubt or hesitation, I am sure most people that use it to mean "have fun" don't know about this because they learned it from somebody who used it to mean "have fun" so its directly associated with that. Maybe in some or most countries that word is really used to mean hesitate or doubt but I am not sure which. I know in Cuba they don't lol. And I dont recall somebody actually using it to mean anything other than the have fun thing

That word is most frequently used in the following kind of sentences/ways:

Voy a vacilar con la jeva
    (I am going to have fun with my girl)
    Tremendo vacilon! (What a blast!)
    Theres yet another slightly different way it can be used. A girl might say to a guy: "Te vi vacilandome las nalgas" (I saw you looking at my butt). Notice that here, vacilar is not used to mean the act of looking but the act of having fun while looking.

Here in Miami theres a very popular morning radio show called "El Vacilon de la Mañana"(like The Morning Blast or something like that)

Its funny how one takes their native language for granted and how difficult it is to translate that sort of cultural richness a word has acquired haha.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    Theres yet another slightly different way it can be used. A girl might say to a guy: "Te vi vacilandome las nalgas" (I saw you looking at my butt). Notice that here, vacilar is not used to mean the act of looking but the act of having fun while looking.
    Yaiii... That's so funny!! I've just learnt something new LOL thnxx
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

bebestylee said:

Here in Miami theres a very popular morning radio show called "El Vacilon de la Mañana"(like The Morning Blast or something like that)
    "Te Vi Vacilandome las nalgas".......is more like...I saw you enjoying my butt. Vacilar in that sense isn't only looking but it's more like enjoying. Es como decir..."Te vi disfrutando mis nalgas"
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

4. Ultimate DJ said:

Hey,
    i saw this mexican car that had Tragame Vivora on it...any idea what it means?!?!?!
    thanks!

puravida
    Che

5. KShef said:

Bebestylee, ayúdanos papá. damarys translated "Los Mate" for me, but we're having problems with the slang.

She got this much.

Los mate, Si señor
    I killed them, yes sir
    Y si vuelo a nacer
    and if I am born again
    Yo los vuelvo a matar!
    I will kill them again!

Los mate.
    I killed them
    Llego, el que todo el mundo esperaba
    The one who the whole world (everyone) waited for, arrived
    El underdog, Tego calderón
    The underdog, Tego Calderón
    otra esquina otra sason
    Another corner, another season (if this were sazón, then it would be seasoning or flavoring)
    Sanarara reggaeton

Los mate!
    I killed them!
    Pero no fue mala fe
    But it wasn't in bad faith
    Hice lo que tenia que hacer
    I did what I had to do

Dame un golpe
    Hit me
    Pa guayarte rompe el monte
    To ride you break the mount
    Mucho fronte
    Conquering much (well... that's the nice way...)
    Y después no aguanta el golpe
    and after, can't handle the bump
    Nativo! Dicen que eres bugalu
    Native! They say you are Bugalu
    En la cruz yo te tengo por boku
    In the cross, I have you for boku (??)
    Guayacol con un cigarro mentol
    Guayacol with a menthol cigarette
    Hazme el favor
    Do me a favor
    Devuelve el encendedor
    Return the lighter
    Mala maña conmigo no va esa vaina
    Bad habit don't go with me

Naven y bailan
    They "Naven" (?) and they dance
    Pa romperte la cotraina
    To tear your "cotraina" (?)
    Esta lucio, ta’ como que panecillo
    It's flashy, it's like a bread roll (I'm sure this is completely wrong... I don't know these words!)
    Ta’ mordido, con mi floW
    It's bitten, with my flow
    De mal parido, en la lata
    Born poorly, in a can
    Parate de la butaca
    Stand on the armchair
    Dime guapa
    Tell me good looking (guapa can also mean 'brave')
    pa sambuirte la ñata
    To dip into your cream

Los mate!
    I killed them!
    Pero no fue mala fe
    But it wasn't in bad faith
    Hice lo que tenia que hacer
    I did what I had to do

Tu g-trins
    You "g-trins"
    Resbala mas que un patin
    Slip (or slide) more tha a skate
    Con mi swing
    with my swing
    Quédate de magazín
    Stay with the magazine
    Apunte pero no disparen
    Aim but don't fire
    Corillage, arrabales
    (Sorry... no clue)

Extranjeros y locales
    foreigners and locals
    Yo soy el que le enseña
    I'm the one who teaches him
    Como que se hace [ta’ bien]
    How it is done (it's fine)
    Esto es paso paso
    this is it step by step
    Mi hija vamonos por fase
    My daughter, lets go for a phase
    Sin Priscila dale con Carmona
    Without Priscila, do it with Carmona
    No venga con sueño
    don't come sleepy
    A su calola [no no]
    Tu his "calola" [no no]
    Lo que yo tengo pa’ ti
    what I have for you
    Son uvitas sin pepitas
    it's little grapes without seeds
    Lírica mortal maciza
    solid mortal lyric
    Ella es de “h”
    She is from "h"
    Volvió el que la hace
    The one who made her returned
    Que las asusta, pero las complace
    the one who frightenes them, but pleases them

Los mate!
    I killed them!
    Yo no toy pa’ eso
    I'm not for that
    Pero que voy hacer
    But what am I going to do
    Si todos esperan por mi
    If everyone is waiting for me
    Mostró volvió Grandpa
    Showed that Grandpa returned
    Que fue!
    What was!

6. KShef said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post
    I tend to use the word "negrita" as a term of endearment. I got it from my pops who uses it all the time. ''Negrita" is similar to "morena" except that it specfically means "black girl" as opposed to "Tan girl". It's very common for Puerto Ricans to use it. In fact, most women who I use the word on eventually tell me that they love it when I call them that because it reminds them of home.

Funny story: this white dude asked me about that once. He said "why do they seem flattered when you call them black?". I said, "because to us being black is not a bad thing!".
    That's interesting. It reminds me of my friends from NYC of boricua or Dominican heritage calling me "negro" or even "n*gga" back in the day. It never bothered me because we were just like that, but I wouldn't have tolerated it from a White dude. I never thought much about it then, but I'm a lot older now. It don't really matter, but it's still interesting.

viciousz_love said:

It is the same as vacillate in the formal sense, I just don't know how it ended up as a synonym of having a fun time. I think its because when you are vacillating you are like leaving things for later, enjoy the moment, that sort of thing. Like procrastination. But although "vacilar" is by definition tied to doubt or hesitation, I am sure most people that use it to mean "have fun" don't know about this because they learned it from somebody who used it to mean "have fun" so its directly associated with that. Maybe in some or most countries that word is really used to mean hesitate or doubt but I am not sure which. I know in Cuba they don't lol. And I dont recall somebody actually using it to mean anything other than the have fun thing

That word is most frequently used in the following kind of sentences/ways:

Voy a vacilar con la jeva
    (I am going to have fun with my girl)
    Tremendo vacilon! (What a blast!)

Its funny how one takes their native language for granted and how difficult it is to translate that sort of cultural richness a word has acquired haha.

I've also heard it used as to mess around with too. I've used it when i say to have fun.

bedroomeyes said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate DJ View Post
    Hey,
    i saw this mexican car that had Tragame Vivora on it...any idea what it means?!?!?!
    thanks!

puravida
    Che
    I think it's actually misspelled. It should be, "Trágame Víbora," and it means, "Swallow Me Snake." It's literally a viper snake but I think people from Mexico call any kind of snake a "víbora". Maybe it's referring to a female. I could be wrong so any corrections are welcome!

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate DJ View Post
    Hey,
    thanks!

puravida
    Che
    Hey guys: I can only explain this phrase in spanish, would you mind help me with the translation?!!

Tragame Víbora esta expresion se dice cuando:

* alguien te esta criticando
    * alguien voltea a verte y esta hablando cosas malas (casi nunca cosas buenas) acerca de ti

tragame= alguien esta mirandote, criticandote

víbora= alguien intrigoso, murmurador, calumniador, chismoso
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

bedroomeyes said:

I'll give it a try Zahra! I didn't know this was an expression--I was translating it word for word.

Trágame Víbora is an expression used when:
    * someone is criticizing you
    * someone turns around to look at you and says mean things (almost never good things) about you

trágame= someone is looking at you criticizing you
    víbora= an instigator who likes to spread gossip and talk crap

P.S. Zahra - So is this like 'tragarme la tierra' as in 'embarassing' or different?

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    Hey guys: I can only explain this phrase in spanish, would you mind help me with the translation?!!

Tragame Víbora esta expresion se dice cuando:
    This expression is used when
    * alguien te esta criticando
    Someone that is critiquing you
    * alguien voltea a verte y esta hablando cosas malas (casi nunca cosas buenas) acerca de ti
    (i can't get this one literally, but i'll just say what it is basically jaja) Somebody that always has bad things to say when they're around you

tragame= alguien esta mirandote, criticandote
    Someone is looking at you, critiquing you

víbora= alguien intrigoso, murmurador, calumniador, chismoso
    a gossiper or slanderer (translating that literally is repetitive)
    i think i did pretty good :P

12. karmenrundiss said:

Default hmm

descara i jus wwant to kno the word
    yes i jUS saiD tHt,YeS ItS tRue,YuR A juMpOFF!

citlalli said:

descara' or descarada=shameless
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

dominicanprince269 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    For "que lo que," it depends on the context - I'd need the sentence.

& cono pretty much means sh*t/f*ck...but I could be wrong...
    Where I come from Que lo que? Is a greeting meaning whats up, but depending on how its use it mean "what" or can be used like Que lo que con el? "Whats up with him?" Cono means like ****/ or **** but its like and outburst like when when your talking to a girl and you say something stupid and she walks away you say "Conho!!!!!"

15. boricamami07 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    yes guys "planchar" have two contexts:

1. to iron= tengo que planchar mis pantalones//I have to iron my pants

2. to have sex= vamos a planchar // lets have sex

you have to be careful with who and how the word is use...

OMG!!! iNEVA KNEW DAT... DAT iS SOOOO WEiRD...!
    iHAV NEVA HEARD DAT B4...!

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    "Te Vi Vacilandome las nalgas".......is more like...I saw you enjoying my butt. Vacilar in that sense isn't only looking but it's more like enjoying. Es como decir..."Te vi disfrutando mis nalgas"
    Vacilar can also be used to imply that someone is making fun of someone else. As in "Tu me estas vacilando" (You're making fun of me).

Funny thing is my dad has a weird slang that he uses when someone is trying to make fun of him, he usually says "te estas mofíando de mi".

Not sure where he got mofíando from!

He also says that something is "de quitipon" when he means that something is removable.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by KShef View Post
    That's interesting. It reminds me of my friends from NYC of boricua or Dominican heritage calling me "negro" or even "n*gga" back in the day. It never bothered me because we were just like that, but I wouldn't have tolerated it from a White dude. I never thought much about it then, but I'm a lot older now. It don't really matter, but it's still interesting.
    The funny thing is, most of the time, the person I am calling that isn't even dark! This is why the white dude was confused because he noticed that I call all them "negrita" regardless of their skin color.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

bebestylee said:

Vacilar can also be used to imply that someone is making fun of someone else. As in "Tu me estas vacilando" (You're making fun of me).
    That's true....I was just defining the word in the context of the sentence.
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

xiurell said:

Funny thing is my dad has a weird slang that he uses when someone is trying to make fun of him, he usually says "te estas mofíando de mi".

Not sure where he got mofíando from!

He also says that something is "de quitipon" when he means that something is removable.
    He got it from the verb mofarse reirse de, burlarse de. it's the same.

De quita y pon: from verbs quitar and poner

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bedroomeyes View Post
    I'll give it a try Zahra! I didn't know this was an expression--I was translating it word for word.

Trágame Víbora is an expression used when:
    * someone is criticizing you
    * someone turns around to look at you and says mean things (almost never good things) about you

trágame= someone is looking at you criticizing you
    víbora= an instigator who likes to spread gossip and talk crap

P.S. Zahra - So is this like 'tragarme la tierra' as in 'embarassing' or different?
    ohh Thanxs your help Bedroomeyes...

yeah the expression trágame tierra, is when you did or said something embarassing
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!