Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

bebestylee said:

chulo can also mean, bello, precioso, lindo...it can be used many different ways.

I haven't heard it directly used to mean PIMP...but i've heard references in spanish that can suggest it. But can't say for sure....

like Nejo in Somos de calle remix:

"Por Dinero las mujeres dan Culo, El Bichote, el Ganster El Chulo el mundo es tuyo."
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post
    in a different context the word "chulo" is also a slang for a pimp. oddly enough I use the word "pimp" as a slang when I like something. I use it in the same context as "cool" or "fresh".

for example "that song is pimp"

-Emilio
    thanxs Emilio... I already knew that... but in Mexico we call them "padrotes"...

we used that word more like bebe wrote:

@bebestylee
    chulo can also mean, bello, precioso, lindo...it can be used many different ways
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

3. LiveLaughLove said:

i have two questions.
    1. what does the abbreviation T.R.A. mean? Normally i see it when someone sends a message and the say it at the end of the message
    2. i dont know if its a very bad word or anything but in a movie they say negro pendejo. i guess its swearing, but what exactly does it mean?

love this topic by the way

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    thanxs Emilio... I already knew that... but in Mexico we call them "padrotes"...

we used that word more like bebe wrote:

Really? In Mexico city we use both words for pimp (padrote and chulo)!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post
    i have two questions.
    1. what does the abbreviation T.R.A. mean? Normally i see it when someone sends a message and the say it at the end of the message
    2. i dont know if its a very bad word or anything but in a movie they say negro pendejo. i guess its swearing, but what exactly does it mean?

2. Negro pendejo=silly/stupid nigg*r.

1. Sorry, I don't know this abbreviation
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

6. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    2. Negro pendejo=silly/stupid nigg*r.

1. Sorry, I don't know this abbreviation
    to me, negro isn't as strong as n*gger. it's not really racist, it's just the name for their skin color. i use mayate when i talk about them as a race

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    it's actually not slang for pimp, it's the original word for pimp (that's how it is in the dictionary). the slang is for lookin good. how many other people use chulo like you, because you seem to have you're own version of the spanish language :P
    ha ha ha...I stand corrected, I always thought it was slang because my dad used it, and my dad has a way with words!

Actually, quite a few of my friends use the word "pimp" in the same way.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

8. BAGurl said:

I think they can be used indistinctively
    pimp = chulo

as nicely dressed (which I believe is the archaic use of the word), cool, fresh or as pimp in the procurer context
    and the same way works in spanish
    so it basically depends on the context it is used

here in Argentina we use other words for pimp (as in the criminal type)

fiolo, which comes from "cafiolo" which comes from "cafishio". "cafishio" derives from the english word "stockfish" (some believe from "catfish") probably because in street slang that was the way they would refer to an illegal shipment of people destined to illegal activities, mainly prostitution.
    if you play your cards right... everything's gonna be alright

9. BAGurl said:

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post
    i have two questions.

TRA? I really don't know, couldn't find it anywhere and no one I know has ever heard of it!
    now you got me really really intrigued...

10. LiveLaughLove said:

well thanks anyway for the first word, and if someone recognises the T.R.A. please say it. i thought of te regalo amores, it is t.r.a. too, but thats because i play the song over and over so i dont think it makes sense :P

11. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by eg1218 View Post
    ha ha ha...I stand corrected, I always thought it was slang because my dad used it, and my dad has a way with words!

Actually, quite a few of my friends use the word "pimp" in the same way.
    yea, i've heard about his vocab jaja
    this girl called me chulo one time and i looked it up (when i was first learning spanish) and was like "w t f? why'd she call me a pimp?" lol

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    to me, negro isn't as strong as n*gger. it's not really racist, it's just the name for their skin color. i use mayate when i talk about them as a race
    I guess in spanish it can be racist or not depending on the context and the intonation

Anyway, thanks for your remark; I'm not always on the "politically correct" side

And concerning your last post (the one of the girl calling you "chulo"): jajajaja I'd have liked to see the face u pulled after looking in your dictionary

bebestylee said:

And concerning your last post (the one of the girl calling you "chulo"): jajajaja I'd have liked to see the face u pulled after looking in your dictionary
    I can imagine his face looked something like this lmao:

Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

14. dmoney101 said:

I guess in spanish it can be racist or not depending on the context and the intonation

Anyway, thanks for your remark; I'm not always on the "politically correct" side

jaja i wasn't that surprised on the real. i get called player a lot (i can't honestly say it's a lie though jaja)

and yea, i guess if someone said "ese pinche negro" it would be racist. i could see how you could take negro pendejo that way. you'd have to know the whole situation to know how negro was meant

15. BAGurl said:

yeah, in spanish negro does not have the same connotation as "n*gga" in english

in Argentina, for example, we use the term"negros" to refer to people who are marginated, low class, cheesy, uneducated, potentially felons. it is used in a diminishing way, and it doesnt matter the color of their skin, they can be caucasian, blue eyed, almost whitely blonde, and still be a "negro" or "negro de mierda" or "groncho" or "grasa" (those terms can be used as synonyms, they have slight differences)
    it depends on the overall attitude and ideology, rather than their appearance or their income, you can be poor and still not be referred to as a "negro". the same way, you can be wealthy and still be called a "groncho" or "negro"

16. BAGurl said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    I can imagine his face looked something like this lmao:

HAHAHAHAHA, is that you dmoney??? LOLZZZZZ

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by BAGurl View Post
    yeah, in spanish negro does not have the same connotation as "n*gga" in english

in Argentina, for example, we use the term"negros" to refer to people who are marginated, low class, cheesy, uneducated, potentially felons. it is used in a diminishing way, and it doesnt matter the color of their skin, they can be caucasian, blue eyed, almost whitely blonde, and still be a "negro" or "negro de mierda" or "groncho" or "grasa" (those terms can be used as synonyms, they have slight differences)
    it depends on the overall attitude and ideology, rather than their appearance or their income, you can be poor and still not be referred to as a "negro". the same way, you can be wealthy and still be called a "groncho" or "negro"
    A negro that isn't negro LOL Hahahaha you argentinians are funny with the language (I mean in a good sense, please don't think I'm trying to say it's negative or incorrect). In Mexico "negro" is only used based on the skin colour and depending on the rest of what u say it can mean anything from an insult to a pampering word (eg "mi negrito" when referring to your olive-skinned or well-tanned husband LOL )

@Bebestylee: ˇahora si te pasaste con esa foto!!! LOL LOL LOL

18. BAGurl said:

yup, we still use it to refer to black people, but it's not racist, and we use it to call others, mainly in its diminutive form as a term of endearment or among acquaintances...

Zahra2008 said:

yeah same here at the north of Mexico... we use it to refer to black people (no offesinve way)... and also as nickname.. like Citlalli wrote....

but really I wont dare to say it when Im in USA....
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

20. BAGurl said:

A negro that isn't negro LOL Hahahaha you argentinians are funny with the language (I mean in a good sense, please don't think I'm trying to say it's negative or incorrect). In Mexico "negro" is only used based on the skin colour and depending on the rest of what u say it can mean anything from an insult to a pampering word (eg "mi negrito" when referring to your olive-skinned or well-tanned husband LOL )
    I think it comes from the inductive conclusion that, those people are usually darker-skinned (not black-black, more like latin dark as opposed to caucasian light whitish skin) than others...
    but once again, that's the extensive rule, still you can be referred to as a "negro" regardless of your look and/or economical status