Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

Chiquita Nikkita said:

Default Setió?

Can anyone tell me what the word "setió" means? it looks like the past tense of a verb i don't know, and can't find anywhere. Also, is "disco" slang for something, becuase it doesn't make sense in the context of this song. (the song is vampira by Yaga & Mackie, by the way).

arux said:

If i am correct, this is the line that contains those words:

"A la disco llego, su victima setió"

'Disco' is short for discoteque, where the party is taking place
    'Setió' comes from the English 'set'

Roughly, that means that the girl arrived at the disco and immediately set or chose her victim (remember she is compared to a vampire because she is a devourer of men)

Hope it helps

Chiquita Nikkita said:

Smile thanks! one more question?

Umm, how does something like "yo te compre" translate into "i buy you"? How does "compre" signify the present tense of comprar without using compro? Maybe i just translated it wrong, but it makes sense in the song... thanks for all your help! i know i've got a LOT of questions.

arux said:

I get what you are saying Here's the thing...

The past tense of 'comprar' in first person is "compré" (with a tilde). If you say 'yo te compré' you are saying "I bought you"

Without a tilde it can mean several things depending on the context. 'Te gusta que te compre flores' means "You like me to buy you flowers". If you want to give and order like 'Buy this' you also use it without a tilde = 'Compre esto'.

Chiquita Nikkita said:

yea, its the "you like me to buy you flowers" one that they mean, i think. Is that just some sort of rule you have to remember, knowing you don't conjugate it in the 3rd person tense?

arux said:

Some confusion comes because many people, including me, dont put the tildes when typing on the computer because you would have to be pressing Alt+Numbers to say á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ etc... People know what tense it's in because of the context.

Using 'comprar' as an example, if you want to say 'I bought a car', the correct spelling is 'yo compr(&#233 un carro', but even if you say 'compr(e)' without the tilde, it is nowhere close to the present 'compr(o)', so it's easy to figure out it's in past tense, just like you figured out that the song only made sense if it was in present tense, because 'you like me to bought you flowers' is not correct.

7. linuxwins2004 said:

Eliel Is Don Omar's Official Producer

8. tru_love said:

ok so i don't know exactly how to spell it or anything, but in some of Don Omar's songs, a girl says like 'suelta con monga vete'. i know that is probably totally off of what they are really saying, but do u know what they are saying and what it means?

arux said:

Yep, I know what it is. The expression is 'suelta como gabete', which means 'loose like a shoelace'.

10. tru_love said:

ooooooo ok. Thanks!

11. linuxwins2004 said:

i can understand most spanish para un gringo pero a veces no puedo entender muchas cosas como Cojela Que Va Sin Jockey i think this means(She Went With Out A Partner or a boyfriend)am i right?

and what is Tumba'o from bandoleros i can understand everything but this word.

arux said:

Yea, you are right. Tumbao means style, things that make you unique.

13. tru_love said:

from the same song, Bandoleros, what does 'tanta baba' mean? I think that is what Don omar is sayin

arux said:

Talking

He means 'so much stupid talk'

15. linuxwins2004 said:

what is maluco also.
    ( Conocido mundialmente como el maluco )
    known worldwide as the what??

and this also sorry
    ( guasimillas )

16. xx_jayla_xx said:

What does Chulin Culin Chunfly mean?

17. linuxwins2004 said:

it means chulin culin chunfly
    like we're flashy and got the bling bling( a guess)

arux said:

Maluco - Probably from 'malo', bad guy

Guasimillas - Senseless, crappy stuff.

Chulin Culin Chunfly - This was invented by the guy who wrote the song so all we can do is try to figure out the meaning by analizing the words and the context of the song. Chulin Culin comes from the two Spanish words 'Chulo' and 'Culo', respectively, so this part means 'Cute Butt'. 'Chunfly' is how many latinos pronounce 'Cornflakes'. Putting it all together, we come up with a nice recipe of "Cute Butt Cornflakes". This makes sense in the context of the song because he says "With your 'Cute Butt Cornflakes', I open my mouth and my tongue droops".

19. xx_jayla_xx said:

hahaha thats funny! i NEVER would have got that without ur help! thanks

arux said:

You are welcome haha...