Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. dutch-chicano said:

jowell and randy say much suelto
    lo mas suelto de reggaeton
    yo bien suelto
    bien suelta
    its something like free or loose but what is that can someone not translate but explain it cause the english translation is something they say maybe but i dont understand
    and what nota loca the name of randy crazy lyrics or something??
    thankyou

2. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dutch-chicano View Post
    jowell and randy say much suelto
    lo mas suelto de reggaeton
    yo bien suelto
    bien suelta
    its something like free or loose but what is that can someone not translate but explain it cause the english translation is something they say maybe but i dont understand
    and what nota loca the name of randy crazy lyrics or something??
    thankyou

suelto basically means cool. they're the coolest people alive. and nota loka means crazy note

arimari-post a thread for your lyrics. no one is gonna do it in the slang thread

arux said:

Nota Loca also means drunk as hell, thats probably what they mean in the song. Coger una nota is to get drunk

4. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by arux View Post
    Nota Loca also means drunk as hell, thats probably what they mean in the song. Coger una nota is to get drunk

he calls himself Randy Nota Loka. I doubt he's callin himself a drunk :P
    Coger una nota looks funny since i originally learned coger from a mexican so it looks like you're f'ing a note jajaja

btw, what do sube and dame luz (for dominicans) mean?
    Last edited by dmoney101; 06-23-2008 at 07:31 PM.

5. dutch-chicano said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    he calls himself Randy Nota Loka. I doubt he's callin himself a drunk :P
    Coger una nota looks funny since i originally learned coger from a mexican so it looks like you're f'ing a note jajaja

btw, what do sube and dame luz (for dominicans) mean?
    dame luz is give me light i think
    but whats creazy note?? can someone explain cause im no english:P

6. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dutch-chicano View Post
    dame luz is give me light i think
    but whats creazy note?? can someone explain cause im no english:P
    it literally means gimmie light (i knew that) but there's a slang meaning for it. and i can't really explain crazy note. you just gotta know what those two words mean

7. dmoney101 said:

what does hace rato mean in the phrase "tengo el enemigo mamando hace rato"? I understand "I've got the enemy sucking" but not the rest. does it mean for a long time or a while?

btw- dame luz (don't pronounce the z) mean "tell me"
    ejemplo "dame lu donde tu vive" (thanks to a Dominican friend for that one )
    Last edited by dmoney101; 06-29-2008 at 09:07 AM.

8. howielb39 said:

Default double meaning

is it Puerto Ricans that take a female duck to mean lesbian? I know it's somewhere where if you say pata, they're like oh hell naw. Ven aqui porque vamos a pelear, sabes?

9. howielb39 said:

what does hace rato mean in the phrase "tengo el enemigo mamando hace rato"? I understand "I've got the enemy sucking" but not the rest. does it mean for a long time or a while?

hace rato is to complete goals... or overcome obstacles, kind've thing. so at that they can't get over it, or like, they get stuck... jesus so many different ways to say everything. but i think you get the point?

10. howielb39 said:

couldnt that be like, getting a grade? i have no idea what song but i glanced and saw coger y yo era feliz. haha.

11. howielb39 said:

haha sorry, but last one. vamanos chicos. no sabes dame luz? apredre ingles y puede comprender. dame luz = give me light = enlighten me = let me know = why the hell don't i know? tell me ho! haha

12. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by howielb39 View Post
    haha sorry, but last one. vamanos chicos. no sabes dame luz? apredre ingles y puede comprender. dame luz = give me light = enlighten me = let me know = why the hell don't i know? tell me ho! haha
    i said i learned what dame luz meant. it's just tell me. dame luz donde tu ta. i think it can pretty much replace dime and vice versa.

and about pata, it prolly does mean a lesbian because pato is maricon

damarys said:

To me, "hace rato" means "for a while now". Like "Hace rato que te estoy esperando" ("I've been waiting for you for a while").

Maybe it's another Cuban thing.... don't trust my slang translations! I speak Spanish (Cuban and Mexican dialects), but I'm not all that up on the slang, which is why I'm reading here. Oye, que interesante!

14. dmoney101 said:

what is tra' short for?

DeBaires said:

what is tra' short for?
    Depends on the context...do you have a sentence it's in?

16. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    Depends on the context...do you have a sentence it's in?
    it was in a song called "mueveme el culo pa' tra'"

arux said:

it was in a song called "mueveme el culo pa' tra'"
    That means move your a s s back. "Pa' tra" is just a short way of saying "para atras".

DeBaires said:

It means move my as$ back or move your as$ back for me.

19. dmoney101 said:

That means move your a s s back. "Pa' tra" is just a short way of saying "para atras".
    ok, thanks. i always figured he was talkin about dancin WITH him since it's a perreo song jaja

CoriInKW said:

Smile Cuban in CA

It all comes down to the country. Gilipollas is a bad word in Spain and it doesn't exist in my culture so it can't be bad. Pendejo to a Mexican is a really bad word, but in my country its just a funny word that means coward. The bad connotation is given by the particular culture. I had a lot of trouble when I lived in Mexico with the word coger. It turns out I was fcking all kinds of objects, including the bus lol
    Yup.... Growing up in the central valley of CA then moving to KW really screws up ur words, just imagine trying to navigate ur way through Fresno speaking Cuban dilects, to mexican people, asking them where can I catch a bus? they look At you funny and turn around to you and say, " If you were a guy I would tell you the only way for you to do that would be at the muffler!!!!"
    haha