Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post
    Hi I had some questions too,
    1. What is the spanish word for "damn"? Like, damn that boy is hot!
    2. What about a cholo? I know what they look like, but is it like a latino gangster or something and what about the colors they have? Something like bloods and crips?
    3. Last one about a cholo too, what is the exact meaning of "ese"?

Love this topic anyway, you guys are so nice helping us all out

I do not mean that I am an expert on these issues, but:

1. damn = demonios / maldición .... "demonios, este chico si que es guapo"

2. Cholo is a term used in some Latin American countries, and usually indicates that the adjective for the people of mestizo or mixed blood, or traits of American Indians.... but now has some differents meanings, and one of them is like you say "like a latino gangster"

Currently in the United States the word carries a negative connotation and is used to describe a person, typically young, associated with gang attire and carrying some as very loose jeans, a sleeveless shirt, a shirt with only the last button fastened , etc.... the colors and things they use depends on each gang

3. "ese" is like "dude" ...
    they commonly say "que onda ese? = whats up dude? "

hope you get my points!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

2. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    I do not mean that I am an expert on these issues, but:

1. damn = demonios / maldición .... "demonios, este chico si que es guapo"

2. Cholo is a term used in some Latin American countries, and usually indicates that the adjective for the people of mestizo or mixed blood, or traits of American Indians.... but now has some differents meanings, and one of them is like you say "like a latino gangster"

Currently in the United States the word carries a negative connotation and is used to describe a person, typically young, associated with gang attire and carrying some as very loose jeans, a sleeveless shirt, a shirt with only the last button fastened , etc.... the colors and things they use depends on each gang

3. "ese" is like "dude" ...
    they commonly say "que onda ese? = whats up dude? "

hope you get my points!!

cholo is a style really. just google the word and look at the pictures and that's what it is...period. and for damn, there's a lot of words/phrases
    maldita sea i think i one (i've never used it, but i've heard it)
    i say coño, but that's a lot stronger than damn
    i think caray might be kinda close

3. LiveLaughLove said:

Thanks !

Urbaniak said:

Originally Posted by Urbaniak View Post
    I got this in an email today

"FRIENDS: Pretend it is OK when you are being a pest.
    > PUERTO RICAN FRIENDS: Tell you, 'Hay Nena, como jodes !!!!"
    what does como jodes mean ?

Thanks
    hugs Joyce
    in good words means "bother"

I read that Joder means fu*k in P.R slang.
    no joda me = don't fu*k with me. I'm having trouble understanding what
    the phrase "como jodes" means.
    Can someone explain the use of jodes in this phrase.
    Thank you.
    Hugs Joyce
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Urbaniak said:

Ohh wait
    I see JODER has 3 meanings.

joder

1. mess about
    Ana jodió todo el día, Ann messed about all day.

2. annoy, bother; Synonyms: contrariar, enojar, fastidiar, hastiar, incomodar, meterse con, molestar, abroncar, airar, causar disgusto a; Molestar(se), fastidiar(se) alguien.
    Ana jodió a Juan, Ann annoyed John.

3. ****, screw, shag; Synonyms: hacer el amor con, coger, follar, abrochar, chingar, cogerse a, culear, echarse un polvo; Voz malsonante. Hacer el amor, practicar el coito, follar, fornicar.
    Lo único que hace es joder, All he does is to ****.

I think I understand a little better now .
    Hugs Joyce
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Urbaniak said:

Hi all
    Can anyone translate this for me?
    " natalia me acaba de cortar un canto d pelo con una tijera aghhhhhhhhhhhh:"

It's something one of my cousins wrote on facebook. Unfortunately she is a cousin who doesn't speak any English or I would ask her what she said.
    THANKS Joyce.

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by Urbaniak View Post
    Hi all
    Can anyone translate this for me?
    " natalia me acaba de cortar un canto d pelo con una tijera aghhhhhhhhhhhh:"

It's something one of my cousins wrote on facebook. Unfortunately she is a cousin who doesn't speak any English or I would ask her what she said.
    THANKS Joyce.
    Let me give it a try, Joyce:

"Natalia has just cut off some of my hair with a pair of scissors."
    Last edited by damarys; 06-08-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Urbaniak said:

Hi Damarys thanks for the quick responce

I kind of thought that was what she was saying but I couldn't figure out what the word "canto" meant in this phrase. I think of canto as song or , I sing.
    Can someone explain please. Is it slang?
    Thanks so much Joyce

citlalli said:

Hi Joyce!

Well, I had never heard "canto" with that meaning, so I presume it's a regionalism, although I don't know from which country

And yes, you're right "canto" normally means song, chant, singing or I sing. And the other common meanings are "edge" and "pebble":

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/t...asp?spen=canto

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Urbaniak said:

Bebes Reggaeton slang L through O

We were getting Bebes Reggaeton slang list translated into English but It stopped with the letter K
    Anybody want to translate L - O

• Laliga: rankeo en el genero.
    • Labiao 4-15: hablar de forma convincente, dialogar.
    •Lambon: idiota.
    • Lírica pesada: que tiene sentido y esta bien hecha.
    • Lliguiri: trepao, cool, ready, tripioso.
    • Machinear: cuando fuman hacen una machina ósea una rueda y a fumar, o estar para arriba y para abajo sin parar.
    • MalPario: mal nacido, idiota, cabron
    • McKallister: Tipo Arrecho
    • McKensie: Mono
    • MC: Maestro de Ceremonia
    • MedioPocillo: cuando se tira lírica a medias (que solo es un pedazo)
    • Melones/limones: tetas grandes / tetas chiquitas
    • Miquear: cuando hacen algo fácil
    • Mother****er: Coño de tu Madre
    • Muela: mentira, feka
    • Mulas: personas que se usan para transportar la droga
    • Nebula o nebuloso: algo extraño, que no esta claro; (chica nebulosa) que se trae algo entre manos.
    • Niche: negro.
    • Nido o Tumba: Casa, hogar
    • Nolas: nalgas
    • Ñangre: algo que no vale
    • OfftheHook: sé traduciria como "bien a fuego"

Hugs Joyce

Urbaniak said:

Thanks Citlalli

Ohh I see:
    If another meaning of canto is "edge"
    I guess the sentence "" natalia me acaba de cortar un canto d pelo con una tijera aghhhhhhhhhhhh:"

means
    Natalia just cut off the edge ( the end of) my hair with a pair of scissors aghhhhhhhhhhhh:"

Thanks Joyce

12. dominicana809 said:

is echote.. like from alexis y fidos ojos que no ven.. is it like snitch? i think that wat it meanz im just not sure! =D tahnkz

citlalli said:

Thanks Citlalli

Ohh I see:
    I guess the sentence "" natalia me acaba de cortar un canto d pelo con una tijera aghhhhhhhhhhhh:"

means
    Natalia just cut off the edge ( the end of) my hair with a pair of scissors aghhhhhhhhhhhh:"

Thanks Joyce
    I guess so too!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

bebestylee said:

Thanks Citlalli

Ohh I see:

means

Thanks Joyce
    Canto for us would be a piece....Like she cut off a piece of my hair....or she cut off some of my hair...
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

15. hyacinthee17 said:

What does doncella mean ? does it refer to a virgin or something else.

citlalli said:

Doncella=maiden, and as far as I know it's the only meaning for this word

17. MaresLejanos said:

kind of, I Spanish the meaning by RAE (Real Academia Española) is very different (1. f. Mujer que no ha conocido varón. Woman who wasn't born boy ), but making the translation is "maiden" (a. An unmarried girl or woman.
    b. A virgin.).

But for somehow, we use "doncella" with the same meaning as "maiden" here (Argentina).. Well, it's even a word that isn't used often, but in poems or songs.

18. MaresLejanos said:

Ups, I haven't seen your post while editing, citlalli .

citlalli said:

Nevermind dear Mares Perdona que no te haya respondido anoche, pero ya se me cerraban los ojos del sueño

20. hyacinthee17 said:

Thank you Citlalli for your help. =)