Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. hyacinthee17 said:

Thank you also Mares Lejanos for your help. =)

2. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by hyacinthee17 View Post
    What does doncella mean ? does it refer to a virgin or something else.
    doncella is kind of like the damsel in distress

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by hyacinthee17 View Post
    Thank you Citlalli for your help. =)
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    doncella is kind of like the damsel in distress
    Yes, you're right. There's in spanish also the word "damisela", although none of the two are really widely used.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

5. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Yes, you're right. There's in spanish also the word "damisela", although none of the two are really widely used.
    i think puerto ricans use doncella, but i've never heard anybody i know use it (except for this weird girl that called me that...don't ask jaja)

6. Morenofuego said:

SOrry to bother u guys but i have a important question well yo soy el moreno como un (black) pero yo quiero aprender espanol like all the way i chill with Puerto Ricans and DOminincans they call me domincan and black. But anywayz what should i do to learn it alll the way slang and all?

7. dominicana809 said:

Smile DR& pR

Quote Originally Posted by Morenofuego View Post
    SOrry to bother u guys but i have a important question well yo soy el moreno como un (black) pero yo quiero aprender espanol like all the way i chill with Puerto Ricans and DOminincans they call me domincan and black. But anywayz what should i do to learn it alll the way slang and all?
    well. im dominican.. the best way for u to know.. like how we speak n our slang.. is just to ask! =D ike i would tell u.. if u have n q? like how u say something ask! =D ill try to answer!

8. dmoney101 said:

music for sure. just listen to the way they talk and if you don't know something, just ask. i'm sure you're friends would be glad to help, and i'm always here too as well as other members.

citlalli said:

i think puerto ricans use doncella, but i've never heard anybody i know use it (except for this weird girl that called me that...don't ask jaja)
    Your comment in brackets has certainly aroused my curiosity LOL

damarys said:

dmoney always has some interesting story..... doncella! LOL!

11. Morenofuego said:

Default Dominican slang

well. im dominican.. the best way for u to know.. like how we speak n our slang.. is just to ask! =D ike i would tell u.. if u have n q? like how u say something ask! =D ill try to answer!

Thankz well i got a question. so wats some common dominican slang?

12. Morenofuego said:

Quote Originally Posted by l0r3na View Post
    kan somebody please tell mi wat does "acolatroniko" mean?
    randy uses it in a lot of his songs
    Okay akolatronico means special beings living among us that are capable of reaching unimagible heights.

Sorry i kno this is a old one but hey it caught my attention

13. dmoney101 said:

Your comment in brackets has certainly aroused my curiosity LOL
    it's nothin, there was just this girl that likes me and she's always saying stupid stuff. i didn't even know what doncella was until she called me that and i was just like w t f?

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by MaresLejanos View Post
    kind of, I Spanish the meaning by RAE (Real Academia Española) is very different (1. f. Mujer que no ha conocido varón. Woman who wasn't born boy ), but making the translation is "maiden" (a. An unmarried girl or woman.
    b. A virgin.).

But for somehow, we use "doncella" with the same meaning as "maiden" here (Argentina).. Well, it's even a word that isn't used often, but in poems or songs.
    Actually "Mujer que no ha conocido varon" may just be an elaborate way of calling a woman a virgin. I believe the translation to that phrase is " A woman who has no knowledge of males (or a male)". Sounds like a really old fashioned phrase.

-Emilio
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

citlalli said:

it's nothin, there was just this girl that likes me and she's always saying stupid stuff. i didn't even know what doncella was until she called me that and i was just like w t f?
    LMAO... imagine how she'd call you if she didn't like you...

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbuns View Post
    I know what this says....... But I'd like to know more what it "means", a little more background on this saying. If you 'catch my drift' haha.
    Hi! I really don't know the background in terms of origin and that sort of thing; but I would say that in the vast majority of cases it has a sexual connotation.

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbuns View Post
    I know what this says....... But I'd like to know more what it "means", a little more background on this saying. If you 'catch my drift' haha.
    I honestly don't think there is a background to this phrase....it's pretty black and white....Damelo todo Mami.....I want it all! La combi completa! lol
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

18. dominicana809 said:

Thankz well i got a question. so wats some common dominican slang?
    common slangs for dominicanz and puerto ricanz r almost al alike.. to hang out we say janguiar umm.. we say chevere our slangs puerto rican and dominicanz are almost the same.. im not sure about cubanz cuz ive never talked to a cuban.. but puerto ricanz have the same slang.. if u want u can ask more especificaly! =D hope i answer ur q?

19. dmoney101 said:

LMAO... imagine how she'd call you if she didn't like you...
    idk, probably just Guero like everybody else. it's her weird way of flirting i guess

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    I honestly don't think there is a background to this phrase....it's pretty black and white....Damelo todo Mami.....I want it all! La combi completa! lol
    "La combi completa!" LOL LOL LOL