Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. karmenrundiss said:

WAT BOUT MI ALMA SE MUERE-FUEGO
    [DNT qet mi rong i understand sum of da spanish language but im jus gettin more in touch with da spanish culture] ^_^
    yes i jUS saiD tHt,YeS ItS tRue,YuR A juMpOFF!

2. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by karmenrundiss View Post
    WAT BOUT MI ALMA SE MUERE-FUEGO
    [DNT qet mi rong i understand sum of da spanish language but im jus gettin more in touch with da spanish culture] ^_^
    the whole song has been translated here, so if you search it you can find all the lyrics. if you just wanna know "mi alma se muere" it's "my soul dies"

3. karmenrundiss said:

ella me amo

4. dmoney101 said:

ella me amo
    she loved me
    the o should have an accent over it-ķ

eg1218 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Urbaniak View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of juice "jugo de parcha" is?
    I believe it's a Puerto Rican expression.
    I can't find parcha in any dictionary.

Thanks Hugs Joyce
    Parcha is our word for Passion Fruit.

Jugo de Parcha is literally Passion Fruit Juice.

It is the best juice after Jugo De Acerolas! Acerolas are a sort tropical cherry. Acerolas are also called West Indian Cherry.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

6. birdsbirds said:

Default Spanish teacher

I'm a Spanish teacher and I'd like to use some current music in class to "teach" and just expose some of my kids to the culture, not just the music that the textbook gives me, which is awful. I've used a few songs, but it's hard to find music that's "appropriate" for 12-14 year-old kids. I know they've heard it all before and probably much worse than I have, but I can't risk any backlash from administration/parents etc. So this might be a stupid question, but can you think of any reggaeton songs, or other popular music, that I could use in the classroom? Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

walking_on_air10 said:

Quote Originally Posted by birdsbirds View Post
    I'm a Spanish teacher and I'd like to use some current music in class to "teach" and just expose some of my kids to the culture, not just the music that the textbook gives me, which is awful. I've used a few songs, but it's hard to find music that's "appropriate" for 12-14 year-old kids. I know they've heard it all before and probably much worse than I have, but I can't risk any backlash from administration/parents etc. So this might be a stupid question, but can you think of any reggaeton songs, or other popular music, that I could use in the classroom? Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.
    Well, most reggaeton is about inappropriate stuff, but there are some songs like the romantic stuff that you could show them.

Here is what I could think of:
    -Don Omar: Ayer La Vi, Dile, Pobre Diable, Adios, Cancion de Amor, Luna, Quien La Vio Llorar, etc.
    -Angel y Khriz: Carita de Angel, Juguete, Pasan Los Dias
    -Alexis y Fido: Soy Igual Que Tu
    -Anything by Rakim y Ken-Y
    -Hector El Father- Sola
    -Randy- Fuera del Planeta
    -Miguelito- Mochila de Amor
    -Wisin y Yandel- Yo Te Quiero, Donde Esta El Amor?
    -Ivy Queen- Menor Que Yo, Sentimientos, En Que Fallamos
    -Some of Daddy Yankee's songs are ok too

8. karmenrundiss said:

puti puerca

Urbaniak said:

Thank you EG1218

I love this board !
    I get answers to the most perplexing questions.
    Thanks to members like you.
    Hugs Joyce
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

bebestylee said:

puti puerca
    that's pretty funny.....i'm sure little kids would love that song....
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

11. verdadero1voz said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zo Hasco View Post
    You know what. I think it sounded a bit like "El Callao", and at the time they were listening to music. I must have heard wrong for real. Thanks breco.
    "calla'o" itz means to go crazy

alexis y fido use it in cinco letras,

"entra el cuarto, sube el volume en el radio,
    que nadie se entere de lo k vamos hacer....
    CALLAO!"

means to go crazy lol

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by verdadero1voz View Post
    "calla'o" itz means to go crazy

alexis y fido use it in cinco letras,

"entra el cuarto, sube el volume en el radio,
    que nadie se entere de lo k vamos hacer....
    CALLAO!"

means to go crazy lol
    Actually Nooooo! That song talks about doing stuff on the down low....

Enter the room...raise the volume on the radio....so that nobody notices what we are about to do.....Shhhh Silently or on the down low....

Al Callao or Pal Callao on the other hand which means for the quiet one........is something that's said to get a crowd riled up.
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

13. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Actually Nooooo! That song talks about doing stuff on the down low....

Enter the room...raise the volume on the radio....so that nobody notices what we are about to do.....Shhhh Silently or on the down low....

Al Callao or Pal Callao on the other hand which means for the quiet one........is something that's said to get a crowd riled up.
    i thought that said guiyao jaja

14. birdsbirds said:

Quote Originally Posted by walking_on_air10 View Post
    Well, most reggaeton is about inappropriate stuff, but there are some songs like the romantic stuff that you could show them.

Here is what I could think of:
    -Don Omar: Ayer La Vi, Dile, Pobre Diable, Adios, Cancion de Amor, Luna, Quien La Vio Llorar, etc.
    -Angel y Khriz: Carita de Angel, Juguete, Pasan Los Dias
    -Alexis y Fido: Soy Igual Que Tu
    -Anything by Rakim y Ken-Y
    -Hector El Father- Sola
    -Randy- Fuera del Planeta
    -Miguelito- Mochila de Amor
    -Wisin y Yandel- Yo Te Quiero, Donde Esta El Amor?
    -Ivy Queen- Menor Que Yo, Sentimientos, En Que Fallamos
    -Some of Daddy Yankee's songs are ok too
    Thank you so much!

15. chulita said:

can someone tell me what "que lo que" means, y tambien, "cono" (with an accent over the n)?

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by chulita View Post
    can someone tell me what "que lo que" means, y tambien, "cono" (with an accent over the n)?
    For "que lo que," it depends on the context - I'd need the sentence.

& cono pretty much means sh*t/f*ck...but I could be wrong...

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by chulita View Post
    que lo que....is dominican slang for what's up...it's like...heyyy what's up...que lo que...

Puerto Ricans use...Que es la Que?.....or Que es la que hay?...same meaning.

Coņo....is the equivalent of sh*t or damn....that's it.

18. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    que lo que....is dominican slang for what's up...it's like...heyyy what's up...que lo que...

Puerto Ricans use...Que es la Que?.....or Que es la que hay?...same meaning.

Coņo....is the equivalent of sh*t or damn....that's it.
    yea, que lo que (usually written as klk) is just short for que es lo que. it can be used as a greeting like "what's up" (ex: diiiiiemlo papi, klk contigo?) or it can be used pretty much the same as just "que" (ex: que lo que tu quiere?)

viciousz_love said:

que la que hay i think is another that i've heard used similarly to que es la que, que lo que ... etc....

okay this may seem odd.
    but was is the difference or uses of chingar/joder i know they both can be used as fcuk but also i've heard them used in other phrases i can't think of off the top of my head. it also depends on where you are too when you use it right?

DeBaires said:

I don't know too much about "chingar" but in Argentina we use "joder" also like "to bother."

No jodas mas - Don't bug me anymore.