Spanish slang clarifications

Thread: Spanish slang clarifications

Tags: None
  1. LaGataRasta said:

Default response to ur intrepertation of VACILAR...

Quote Originally Posted by konnie-chiwa View Post
    arux i am so surprised to the quantity of slangs you know..jajaj you must like reggeton a lot.

By the way

vacilar - means to hook up, to kiss

me voy de vacilon - means i am going to have fun, but it involves someone from the other sex that you are planning to hook up

ummm, no vacilar means to bug out, have fun to trip not to "hook up" dam u must be gringa

2. LaGataRasta said:

Had to corretc u cuz dam u making it look like a ho thing

3. luvluv said:

what does muy apretadita mean?

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by luvluv View Post
    what does muy apretadita mean?
    If it's clothes you're talking about it simply means "very tight".
    If you're talking about a person, it depends; in most cases it means "very tight/close to (someone/ something)". And in Mexico if you refer to someone as "apretado/a", it means he/she's either very prude or very tight with his/her money.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

5. shrouk said:

what does ' No que no' mean????

Lya said:

Quote Originally Posted by shrouk View Post
    It can be translated as "Not absolutely not". Some kind of double negation.

7. Erito said:

for me it sounds like "didn't I told you?" literally doesn't mean that but is the way in how it's used I've heard that on mexican television ;D

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Erito View Post
    for me it sounds like "didn't I told you?" literally doesn't mean that but is the way in how it's used I've heard that on mexican television ;D
    yep, it can mean that .. someting like "SEE, didnt I told you?" or when you got something that you want or the way you want, you say "no que no", like "SEE, I got what I want or I got my way"
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Lya said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    yep, it can mean that .. someting like "SEE, didnt I told you?" or when you got something that you want or the way you want, you say "no que no", like "SEE, I got what I want or I got my way"
    Really? That sounds weird to me XD In Spain we don't use it that way (or at least I've never heard it here ^^U)
    Thank for the explanation anyway, it's good to know it.

10. n33dhelp101 said:

can anyone tell me what "toto singao" means? i know it isnt very nice lol

11. Erito said:

toto is a ghetto word for ***** or vagina. used mainly by hispanics, especially Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. It is also said as tot (pronouced as thoat, throat without the r)

Singar cuban word, meaning ****er or son of *****, someone who is "****" or an "*******" it sounds like an alternate version of the mexican word "chingar". Singado is the noun form of the cuban verb "singar," which means "to F***." Vulgar

Sorry for the bad words
    [from Urban Dictionary]
    Last edited by Erito; 07-12-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Pandion59 said:

Default Calle 13 lyrics help

Bedroom Eyes was kind enough to translate the Calle 13 song "Llegale Aqui a Mi Guarida" lyrics for me. However there are parts I am still struggling with. In the lines below can someone tell me what the words "Masaya" and "mombacho" mean?

Y me voy en el viaje hasta Himalaya
    And I'll go on a trip to the Himalayas
    Si le llega a la raya y te quemo en el Masaya
    If [s/he, it] gets to the line and I'll burn you in the Masaya
    Si quiere a lo macho te quemo en el mombacho
    If you want to take it as a man, I'll burn your mombacho
    Y que queda tu cuerpo picadito en picachos
    And your body ends up in pieces

13. Tempo_08 said:

hey what does "guachinanga", "burutanga", "tumba el piquete" and ''fregao" mean?

bagzi94 said:

How to say in spanish:

You, she, he, we, they, you(for more people) ?

15. peRReaLa_cHiika said:

you: tu (formal usted)
    she: ella
    he: el (with an accent over the 'e' or else it means the)
    we: nosotros
    they: ellos
    you (for more people) as in the word y'all or saying you all: ustedes

16. kikikiki2525 said:

I was wondering how the word dueño is used in reggaeton and bachata. Ex: Yo quiero ser el dueño de tu piel. Voy a hacer el dueño de tus fantasías.
    .It cant be taken literally cause that wont make any sense.

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by kikikiki2525 View Post
    I was wondering how the word dueño is used in reggaeton and bachata. Ex: Yo quiero ser el dueño de tu piel. Voy a hacer el dueño de tus fantasías.
    .It cant be taken literally cause that wont make any sense.
    yeah it can be taken that way, "owner" means that person belongs to you, being with whom she/he is dreaming

I want to be the owner of your skin. I will be the owner of your fantasies
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

18. Azur said:

Quote Originally Posted by peRReaLa_cHiika View Post
    you: tu (formal usted)
    she: ella
    he: el (with an accent over the 'e' or else it means the)
    we: nosotros
    they: ellos
    you (for more people) as in the word y'all or saying you all: ustedes
    Actually, "é" WITH the accent, means he. "El" WITHOUT accent it's "the" when masculine.

Depending on which part of the Spanish speaking world You singular could be "Vos" (Argentina, etc.) or "Tú" (all the others) (and, of course, the formal "Usted"). You for plural, depending on wish part of the Spanish speaking world you are, is either "Vosotros" (Spain, also often found in poetry) or "Ustedes" (Latin America).

Of course, this are broad generalisations.

19. Azur said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tempo_08 View Post
    hey what does "guachinanga", "burutanga", "tumba el piquete" and ''fregao" mean?
    I think you took those from a Panamanian song. You see, I'm Panamanian and I sort of recognise the slang words (cannot be sure), and I think you got them wrong. Of course, I could be wrong and they belong to some other country's slang.

Guachimán (not guachinanga) ->Watch man.

Burundanga (not burutanga)-> Any SWEET (or made especially for children) junk food.

Tumba el piquete-> Depends on which part of the country you are (heck, it even depends on SOCIAL class or even the SCHOOL). In my school it meant "smash them", "go do something awesome" or "getting rid of a nuisance". In Las Esclavas (another school, but more posh, like the epitome of posh) used to meant "dance dirty" (so my cousin said). Depends on context. Usually a taunt.

Frega'o (the 'd' was dropped> "fregado")-> Someone short of luck, or very angry, or picky.

Note that, when used as a veb (fregar), depends on context. "Friega los trastes", "wash the dishes". "No me friegues la paciencia", "don't test my patience". "Mi papá me anda fregando", "my dad is constantly nagging at me". "Me fregué", "I got in trouble/difficult situation/ran short of luck".

20. Azur said:

Quote Originally Posted by Pandion59 View Post
    Bedroom Eyes was kind enough to translate the Calle 13 song "Llegale Aqui a Mi Guarida" lyrics for me. However there are parts I am still struggling with. In the lines below can someone tell me what the words "Masaya" and "mombacho" mean?

Y me voy en el viaje hasta Himalaya
    And I'll go on a trip to the Himalayas
    Si le llega a la raya y te quemo en el Masaya
    If [s/he, it] gets to the line and I'll burn you in the Masaya
    Si quiere a lo macho te quemo en el mombacho
    If you want to take it as a man, I'll burn your mombacho
    Y que queda tu cuerpo picadito en picachos
    And your body ends up in pieces
    Masaya is a volcano in Nicaragua, so is figurative here. To be burnt in the Masaya must be not pretty. Did I mention it was an active volcano?

Mombacho is "moustache".

Remember that some things have no translations and are cultural things/idioms that a person from the country/region should be able to understand at first sight.
    Last edited by Azur; 11-22-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Rush, horrible grammar =(