SOLVED: Help solve these two songs

Thread: SOLVED: Help solve these two songs

Tags: None

cbwillallen25 said:

Right now I can't install it successfully because it isn't compatible with Windows 7. I will keep trying though.

cbwillallen25 said:

Well, it may not be that, but I found something that could be better than the piano.

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/reso...no/strings.htm

Problem is the violin sounds can't be played simultaneously. Here are the notes again though. Keep in mind in the actual song they were short, aggressive like eighth notes each followed by eighth rests. There is at least one change I made. Rememeber the violins play this more than once. Can't really remember for how long.

Violin #1 - D#, D, C, Bb, C
    Violin #2 - Bb, G#, G, F, G

cbwillallen25 said:

Better yet try this site, sorry for the quick change.

http://www.1millionfreegames.com/pla...-Keyboard.html

Click on the violin and then each note to hear the shorter notes.

Violin #1 - D#, D, C, Bb, C
    Violin #2 - Bb, G#, G, F, G
    Last edited by cbwillallen25; 10-16-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: correction

cbwillallen25 said:

Bump

This one is still a mystery. Wish I could make it easier. I also have more that I am trying to figure out, but with really little information.

So you have the harmonic violins playing almost staccato like quarter notes, then a short rest, and repeating. *Correction again to the note(s)*
    Violin #1 - D#, D, C, Bb, C ( 8, U, Y, 5, Y on the keyboard)
    Violin #2 - Bb, G#, G, F, G (5, 4, E, W, E on the keyboard)
    http://www.1millionfreegames.com/pla...-Keyboard.html (first click on the keyboard on the top left of the keyboard screen, then click on the violin instrument to the right, and then play the corresponding notes at the same time. So you would hit to keys at once in a way to imitate the harmonic violins. Try it with both hands. Play 5, 4, E, W, E with the left hand the same time you are playing 8, U, Y, 5, Y with the right.)

Song may not be very popular, but it was enough to get played on the radio. The first one I haven't heard in a while. Maybe one of those songs that can be on a top 50 list for a year and disappears a few years after it comes out.
    Last edited by atmaestro; 03-14-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Moved song #3 request to separate posting

atmaestro said:

How old is song #1? ELO and Kansas both used violins in most of their songs.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

cbwillallen25 said:

I don't know exactly how old, but I would put it in the late 90's-early 00's range.

*UPDATE*
    Even though I said it was two violins, it definitely is possible, come to think of it, that it was a violin and a viola. The higher part I know is a violin. The lower part could be a violin, or a viola. Also the lower part sounded a little stronger than the higher part.
    Last edited by cbwillallen25; 03-14-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: addition

cbwillallen25 said:

Quote Originally Posted by cbwillallen25 View Post
    Bump

This one is still a mystery. Wish I could make it easier. I also have more that I am trying to figure out, but with really little information.

So you have the harmonic violins playing almost staccato like quarter notes, then a short rest, and repeating. *Correction again to the note(s)*
    Violin #1 - D#, D, C, Bb, C ( 8, U, Y, 5, Y on the keyboard)
    Violin #2 - Bb, G#, G, F, G (5, 4, E, W, E on the keyboard)
    http://www.1millionfreegames.com/pla...-Keyboard.html (first click on the keyboard on the top left of the keyboard screen, then click on the violin instrument to the right, and then play the corresponding notes at the same time. So you would hit to keys at once in a way to imitate the harmonic violins. Try it with both hands. Play 5, 4, E, W, E with the left hand the same time you are playing 8, U, Y, 5, Y with the right.)

Song may not be very popular, but it was enough to get played on the radio. The first one I haven't heard in a while. Maybe one of those songs that can be on a top 50 list for a year and disappears a few years after it comes out.
    OK I know I said it had two Violins, but for now as I try to recall the brief information that I can recall about the song all I remember is the string instrument playing the lower part (Violin #2 - Bb/A#, Ab/G#, G, F, G). And it was a male singer if I recall. I still would like to say it's two violins or one violin and a viola, but anything is possible considering I don't remember much about the song. It wasn't very popular, but popular enough that it was played on the radio on a lite music station, and probably also has a music video.

8. Th3Diplomat said:

only 1 option left now..
    sing/hum the song , record and upload for us to listen.

cbwillallen25 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Diplomat View Post
    only 1 option left now..
    sing/hum the song , record and upload for us to listen.
    I may consider it. It would probably be humming if I had to choose since I really don't recall any lyrics unfortunately. I will work on something.

cbwillallen25 said:

Bump, I know it isn't good quality, but I managed to record a sample on a cell phone using one of the programs I posted on here. I placed it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdSj2TXU3eI

Mixalopoulos said:

Bump, I know it isn't good quality, but I managed to record a sample on a cell phone using one of the programs I posted on here.
    Hi Will, do you remember if the vocals are male or female, and the music genre.
    Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.

cbwillallen25 said:

Hi Mixalopoulos, I believe that the vocals are male. It may even be a group. So right now it can be a male solo artist or a male group. The Genre, possibly soft rock. It was played on an Easy Listening Lite FM Radio Station.

Mixalopoulos said:

Hi Mixalopoulos, I believe that the vocals are male. It may even be a group. So right now it can be a male solo artist or a male group. The Genre, possibly soft rock. It was played on an Easy Listening Lite FM Radio Station.
    Do you think Brit or US artist?
    Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.

cbwillallen25 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mixalopoulos View Post
    Do you think Brit or US artist?
    Not sure, but if I had to pick I would say US Artist. It was played on 106.7 LiteFM, based in New York/New York City. I live in New Jersey and it was played on it, but not something that was played consistently. I detect that it was possibly a hit that was decent enough to even make a top 100 list for the year, but not one that is memorable to many people. So right now I am open to it being either type of artist or group, but if I had to guess one I would pick US.

15. bugmenot1 said:

Is there any chance that this is your song?

"Millennium" by Robbie Williams
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ5uIkJDb6o

cbwillallen25 said:

Unfortunately no, but thanks for the guess bugmenot.

17. Fence Sitter said:

Though it's sung by a female, it's the right time period, the intro is promising, short quick strokes and two violins - one much deeper pitched than the other.

Sia - Taken for granted"
    Youtube link

cbwillallen25 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sitter View Post
    Though it's sung by a female, it's the right time period, the intro is promising, short quick strokes and two violins - one much deeper pitched than the other.

Sia - Taken for granted"
    Youtube link
    Thanks a lot Fence Sitter, but that's not it. You got the right idea though. It is short quick strokes on the two violins and one plays a higher pitch than the other. The thing about the strokes is their are short rests after each stroke. I remember that 5 note melodic sequence that each violin plays, but really nothing else. My hunch was telling me it was a male singer but really it can be anyone. I was running through some lists of top 100 Adult Contemporary Songs for each year from 1995-2004 and didn't find anything. Now I will try rock.

Also I won't rule out saying that either the harmonic part plays several times in the song, or even that it could start near the beginning of the song. Wish I could remember more.
    Last edited by cbwillallen25; 01-02-2013 at 04:40 PM.

cbwillallen25 said:

Not so sure if this is the same song but I found someone that looked for a song from the 90s with a violin in it. Like this song the violin played something, then stopped, and played the same thing again. Of course what I'm looking for has two while he said violin in singular form, but you never know.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7050717AA4o8tP

Another person searched for a song that also had a violin part playing 4 or 5 notes, with being repeated. Once again, not too sure if this is the same song or is something different.

http://onehitwonders.tuneforums.com/...?threadID=1369

20. Fence Sitter said:

Ah - the funny thing was - I made a google search (90s+songs+that+start+violin) after your reply, and the top result was your sample on youtube. I'd forgotten about that sample. It sort on points towards a different rhythm altogether to what I suggested.

I'd run across that yahoo link - it formed part of the that very search. It suggests a few songs too, but the author was lucky in that someone suggested the right song.

Speaking of the quick rest you've mentioned, (though it's not the song you're looking for) how similar stroke / rest is it to the electric violin in Annie Lennox - "Walking On Broken Glass" near the start?