Παράξενη Πρωτομαγιά

Thread: Παράξενη Πρωτομαγιά

Tags: None
  1. toniellis said:

Default Παράξενη Πρωτομαγιά

Can anyone tell me what event inspired this song? I have the Greek lyrics and I know the literal translation of the words. I also know that May 1st is Labor Day & the Festival of Flowers in Greece. But what happened that made this particular May 1st 'strange'? Why are they weaving crowns with thorns on this day? I love the song and would love to know what it is about. Thanks!

2. safe1 said:

The lyrics by Nikos Gatsos, are referred to the years of dictatorship in Greece i think... (1967-1974).
    The music by Manos Chatzidakis was added much later than the lyrics creation date and the song was released
    in 1976 (if i'm not mistaken).
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

3. toniellis said:

Thanks. That makes sense. If anyone can add anything to this, I would love to hear it. Also, I've been wondering about another Greek song "To Treno Fevgi stis Okto." It seems to refer to some specific event that occurred in November at the town of Katerini. Can anyone tell me what that one is about. I have the Greek lyrics and the English translation. But I would like to know what inspired the song.

4. safe1 said:

"to treno feugei stis okto" :

I THINK, this song has no hidden meanings... I think it 's about a soldier who serves in the town of Katerini, and while he guards in his sentry-box, he watches the trains passing by, but his beloved person is not in any of them...

A love song IMO.
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

Amethystos said:

safe1 you are almost right!

Ο Μάνος Ελευθερίου – σε συνέντευξή του (βλ. συνέντευξη του Μ. Ελευθερίου στον Τ. Καραντή στο περ. «ΜΕΤΡΟΝΟΜΟΣ», τεύχος 29, σελ. 36-39) - μου είπε πως έγραψε αυτό το τραγούδι του :

"Αυτήν την περίοδο, το ’61, έγραψα “Το τρένο φεύγει στις οκτώ”. Υπηρετούσα τη στρατιωτική μου θητεία σε μια υπηρεσία, όπου οι συνάδελφοί μου πήγαιναν με τη μοτοσικλέτα σε διάφορα μέρη γύρω από τα Γιάννενα, στην Πρέβεζα, στην Καστοριά, στην Κατερίνη … Κάποιος λοιπόν απ’ αυτούς μου διηγήθηκε κάποιο περιστατικό στην Κατερίνη κι εγώ το ’κανα τραγούδι.".

So these lyrics described an incident that Eleftheriou has heard of during his military service.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

6. toniellis said:

Default Το Τρένο φεύγει στις οκτώ

Thanks for this information. Some of the videos that accompany this song on Youtube show scenes of political protest, people crying, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea5Qo...eature=related

This made me think the song referred to some political incident.