GREEK SLANG!!please help:)

Thread: GREEK SLANG!!please help:)

Tags: None

vanessaki said:

Post GREEK SLANG!!please help:)

I know that this words don't have meanings, but I want to know when do you use them
    when do you use AMAN?
    and what is the different between RE and VRE?
    when do you use ASTO?
    when do you use PW PW PW?

euxaristw.....

2. safe1 said:

Αμάν is used when we caught by surprise about something that happened or about a situation that we were unaware and we suddenly realize it... It's something like: "oops!"

e.g. "oops! i lost my keys..." -> "Αμάν ! i lost my keys"

Ρε and βρε are the same. It's used, let's say, like "hey" but it's not exactly that...I don't know if it exists something similar in English. I think there is something similar in Romanian but i can't remember the word now...
    We use it to address at people, but only to familiar ones...Is not considered a very "chic" word though...(if you tell this to people you see for the first time, or people that you don't know, you will not give the best impression...) But yes, it's very common... We use it a lot... It's a customary word.

EDIT: The equivalent word in Romanian is "ma" . So now you have a wider audience for this question...
    Maybe someone can explain better than me the usage of "ρε" or "ma" .

Άστο means "let it" . The full form of this compound word is: Άφησέ το . It's usage is obvious now that you know the meaning.

Πω, πω, πω is an exclamation of surprise or admiration... It's the same like: "wow" So again, its usage is obvious now that you know the meaning.

Last edited by safe1; 07-24-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.
    Stunning feeling...to just meet them.

vanessaki said:

Euxaristwwww para poluuu safe1!!!!! apo Ellada eisai?pou meneis?

4. safe1 said:

Athina Esi? apo pou?
    The most charming creatures on this earth. The only women who can show what they feel and, they do feel.

5. evaba said:

Just a small addition concerning αμάν....my impression is that it can also express exasperation, as in the phrase "αμάν πια!", which means something like "enough is enough!". Αμάν is also a common expression in songs, especially in the so-called αμανέδες, where it expresses sadness, heart ache and so on. Here is Roza Eskenazi singing an "amanes":

[nwY78JYa1mI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwY78JYa1mI&feature=related[/video]

The very same expression can be heard in the Turkish "gazel", which is the Turkish equivalent to the Greek "amanes". Here is a master of the genre, Hafiz Burhan, who (as the title hafiz indicates) was also a reciter of the Quran:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZnwD...eature=related

Eva
    Last edited by evaba; 07-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.

vanessaki said:

Euxaristw para polu Eva!! Twra kserw pote xrisimopoihsei auth h leksi!!:-)
    Eimai apo Ouggaria k latreuw Ellada!

Exw akomh mia erwtish..
    when do you use ANTE?
    for example when do you say ANTE RE?ANTE PAME!

and what is SOPA?

Thank you in advance!

7. evaba said:

"ande" means approximately "come on"! "Ande pame!" is "let's go!" In other parts of the Balkans and in Turkey they have a similar expression, pronounced something like "hayde", I think.

"Sopa"-the literal meaning is "be quiet", but it can also be used to express astonishment, something like "really???" or "are you serious???"...at least that's my impression.

"skase" is another word that might be useful to know. It means "shut up!". Of course, it's a quite rude expression, so maybe you should refrain from using it!

Eva

8. safe1 said:

"Άντε" is usually used like a prompt. Sometimes is also used as an expression of disbelief. Difficult to explain in English...

about your examples:
    "Άντε πάμε" = "Let's go"
    "Άντε ρε" can be used as: "go" or
    (as an expression of disbelief) "you're kidding me" or "really?" or "how come?" or "bullshit..."

Generally "άντε" is a prompt to begin an action.

"Σώπα" literally means "say nothing" "be silent" "don't speak"

sometimes is used like an expression of disbelief as well, like: "do tell!" or "no kidding" or "seriously?"

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Evaba, sorry just saw your post...i was typing...
    Well our explanations are almost the same so... it's ok i hope...

9. evaba said:

No problem! Glad to see that we agree on the meaning of these polysemous (opa!) expressions!

Eva

vanessaki said:

Thank you so much for your help!!You both are very helpful and kind!Thank you again!! You helped me a LOT!
    Vanessa

11. safe1 said:

You're welcome

12. renn roses said:

your explainations are very useful. sas eyxaristw poly olous