SOLVED: Been looking for this song for many years

Thread: SOLVED: Been looking for this song for many years

Tags: None
  1. Padawan said:

That isnt it either virtual lady. You guys are coming up with some good tunes though. Sigh. This song isn't a figment of my imagination. I promise.

NOMAD said:

Oh no! I was shure virtual lady nailed it. it had it all. When I heard the tune it was almost verbatim of what you hummed out. even the cadence was right.
    You're kidding right?

atmaestro said:

Padawan,

I did not see where you had responded to the "Tubular Bells" suggestions.
    Is it out of the running too?
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title
  4. tgrs said:

there's an instrumental from '72 called "popcorn" by "hot butter" try this.

NOMAD said:

It cant be popcorn. Though that is one of my all time fave's. In fact I have every version I could find to incude Orbital ans crazy frog.
    That being said. The only criteria that piece has in common with the parameters set by padawan is it's al Synth.
    That has no synth harp in it at all. plus it sounds nothing like the tune he provided.
    The Tubular Bells. Mike Oldfield. Now there's a contemporary Classic. Absolutely love this piece. Almost Chritmass like. However. No Harp , No Oriental like sound.
    I had burned myself out listening to his soundbyte. I spent days repeating it in my head. When I heard the Tour De France tune. I was thunderstruck.
    It fit. It had it all. Synth all the way. Harp. Oriental in it roots. with some lyrics. strike a point off there. I just knew that one was it. Even my wife agreed.
    When I read his post saying that wasn't it either, I went Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,,,,ooooooooooooo...
    It can't be!
    Padawan, that was the tune you hummed. Now c'mon. We need more it seems. I don't know why I am making this personal. I guess I've decided to dig my heels in on this one. Oriental techno synth. this should be my cup of tea.
    This is what I listen to on a regular basis. I am at a loss here.

Bunnymenfan said:

I still think Yello or Sakamoto could fit in, but as they have so much material you'd need to check a lot of songs. Good luck!
    Whole at last with a golden view
  7. RobbyT said:

You said it sounds oriental. Maybe one of these?:

1. Jan Akkerman: Oil in the family
    2. Duran Duran: Tel Aviv
  8. Padawan said:

Hi guys. I thouht i commented on Tubuler Bells, but maybe not. This was one of the first suggestions i received from over a year ago & unfortunately it is not the song either. I know i have seen some of you reply multiple times with good suggestions and i thank you for that. NOMAD i am very flattered you have tried to take this on and made it personal. Trust you me this song is real. I hope i am not way off on my descriptions as i know so little about the song. It is limited to hearing it twice on the radio. Sigh. You ask me for more information on the song NOMAD. I am uncertain of what i am about to say, but it is possible that the tune is being played with a xylophone ( A Oriental percussion instrument that has a wood sound, not metal). It is still all synth though i am confident in that. I know it is the smallest tidbit of info but it is the best i have. I am wracking my brain all the time about this song and have been thinking about that instrument for sometime. Robby those are not the tracks either. Talk to you guys soon.
    Last edited by Padawan; 07-21-2008 at 08:18 AM.
  9. Musicismyfirstlove said:

The mind is a wonderful thing...
  10. Padawan said:

Nope not the one Musicismyfirstlove. Thank you though.

scorchy said:

wow, you've been on quite an odyssey, i know how you feel... what about propaganda, the art of noise, or information society?

Good luck!
  12. HunKs said:

May or may NOT help, but, talking of mainly instrumental muusak.... took me back to when I wuz but a wee lad, and one of the best albums that I got off with was by STRAWBS - Antiques and Curios... Mainly instrumental tracks - Beginning of Symphs, and brilliant Keyboards from Rick Wakeman No less.... Y'know - I gotta dig that out!!

HunKs
  13. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Hi , you might want to check this...
    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/H...756/jc/big.htm

NOMAD said:

Default I have a twin!

Quote Originally Posted by Musicismyfirstlove View Post
    Hi , you might want to check this...
    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/H...756/jc/big.htm
    OMG! I Thought I was the only one.
    I absolutely LOVE That movie! I Even Have Por Chop exp. and Big Trouble in my collection. Did they ever play on the radio?
    Or only remembered by ubegeeks like me?

As to making it personal. I love Techno oriental synt music. This search has led me into new sounds I havn't heard before. so no sweat.
  15. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Quote Originally Posted by NOMAD View Post
    OMG! I Thought I was the only one.
    I absolutely LOVE That movie! I Even Have Por Chop exp. and Big Trouble in my collection. Did they ever play on the radio?
    Or only remembered by ubegeeks like me?
    Hmm sorry to disappoint you here , I never heard/seen this before , it came up on a google search with some keywords re the song ..
    (the things we learn during this search is staggering)

NOMAD said:

Well it's only good music in context
    I suppose.
  17. Padawan said:

Nope those arent it either Scortchy, HUNKS, andmusticismyfirstlove. I have been on an Oddysy indeed. I won't give up on this song as i have never searched so hard for something in my life.

scorchy said:

what about "microcosmic" by mood swings... not exactly oriental jingle material but what the hell... aphex twin, 808 state, the orb??
  19. Padawan said:

hehe. Nope none of those either scorchy. I scrolled some of their tunes though & decent stuff. Keep it coming guys. Read my original post again & get a fresh idea of what i am looking for. You guys/gals can do it. We will all have a beer together when this one gets solved. Yes it will get solved. Have a good day folks. TTYL
  20. Redd Barron said:

Default Try this Padawan

The only Oriental sounding instrumental I can think of from the 80's was a piece written for the Soundtrack to the film "Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence". About a WW2 japanese prisoner of war camp. Interestingly the film starred the writer, Riuichi Sakamoto. A certain Mr. D Bowie also made an appearance. This was later turned into a song with the help of the unusually talented David Sylvian of Japan called "Forbidden Colours".
    Listen to it on utube here (there is a long intro before theme starts -be patient)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWjs...eature=related

Yours
    Fingers crossed
    Redd Barron