Nino Ferrer - C'EST IRRÉPARABLE

Thread: Nino Ferrer - C'EST IRRÉPARABLE

Tags: None

Sanmayce said:

Default Nino Ferrer - C'EST IRRÉPARABLE

Hi,
    I am in search for the essence of one old superhit...
    Please help me with the translation of Nino Ferrer - C'EST IRRÉPARABLE lyrics which is placed at Spanish section:
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sp...o-de-amor.html
    Get down get down get down get it on show love and give it up
    What are you waiting on?

bluejacket said:

Default Nino Ferrer : It's Beyond Repair

Is this any use to you? French/English version......

Je sais que c'est fini
    Je sais mais je t'en prie
    Ecoute-moi quand même
    Ecoute-moi car je t'aime
    Depuis qu'on s'est quittés
    Je suis seul étonné
    Mes jours sont tellement lents
    Et vides et obsédants
    Je suis seul, la nuit vient
    Et je me souviens
    D'un an d'amour
    Les matins indolents
    Les soirs de pluie
    Les vacances et le vent
    Et ton corps blond
    De soleil et de sable
    Un an d'amour
    C'est irréparable
    Un an d'amour
    C'est irréparable

Maintenant c'est plus moi
    Un autre est avec toi
    Et toi, tu lui souris
    Comme tu m'avais souri
    Et ce sourire, tu vois
    Je te hais pour cela
    Je te hais, mais je t'aime
    Au fond ça revient au même
    Je t'aime, le comprends-tu ?
    T'ai-je vraiment perdue ?
    Un an d'amour.
    Des années de regrets
    Des feuilles mortes
    Et le temps passé
    L'automne emporte
    Les rêves et les fables
    Un an d'amour
    C'est irréparable
    L'automne emporte
    Les rêves et les fables
    Un an d'amour
    C'est irréparable.

------------------------
    My Trans: (another sad one....)

I know that it's over,
    I know, but I ask you,
    Listen to me just the same,
    Listen to me because I love you.
    Since we parted
    I alone am amazed
    My days are so slow
    Empty and obsessing
    I am alone, the night comes
    And I remember
    Of one year of love
    The lazy mornings
    Rainy evenings
    The holidays, and the wind
    And your body fair
    Of sun and sand
    One year of love
    It is irreparable (or 'beyond repair')
    One year of love
    It's beyond repair

Now it only me
    Another is with you
    And you, you smile at him
    As you smiled at me
    And this smile, you see
    I hate you for it
    I hate you, but I love you
    At bottom, it comes to the same thing
    I love you, don't you understand?
    Did I really lose you?
    One year of love.
    Years of regrets
    Dead leaves
    And the past
    The autumn carries away (lit: takes away)
    The dreams and the fables
    One year of love
    It's beyond repair
    The autumn carries away
    The dreams and the fables
    One year of love
    It's beyond repair.
    Last edited by bluejacket; 10-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Sanmayce said:

Oh, thanks a lot bluejacket, having an alternative translation exceeds the 'use' - I mean it adds more sentiments.

Finally I checked the 'blond', strange, in original and Albruna's translation ('and your body, blond') 'blond' regardless of being a literally literal I prefer your 'fair' replacement.

Allow me to question the 'emporte' choice, I have no clue how 'emporte' is used in French but Albruna chose 'brings with it' while
    you 'carries away'. I think it is tricky and important in the same time to SENSE the right meaning. My favorite season of course (the saddest of all) is autumn. My feeling is that the autumn closes down i.e. terminates the year of love thus your 'carries away' looks beyond fine, but...

Thank you bluejacket, I appreciate your help it gives more light.
    What are you waiting on?

bluejacket said:

The verb 'emporter' is to take - used for taking someone or something to another place. Emporté would be taken.
    To bring something, you'd use 'apporter' - for things you carry with you. If it was a person, an animal, or an object, you'd use 'amener'. If the line were 'autumn brings/carries with it' I would expect the french to be, 'L'automne apporte' not 'emporte'.

In English, when you say someone is 'fair haired' (i.e.pale of hair), you mean blonde. It's the same in French, 'blond' can also mean 'fair' - pale, and fair-haired. But in English, there's an added meaning; in a literary form (in poetry and song), the use of 'fair' means beautiful. Therefore in this lyric, 'and your body fair' would be understood by an English reader to mean ' and your beautiful body'. However, when you use fair in normal conversation, you do mean pale. i.e. 'he/she/they have fair skin' - he/she/they have pale skin.
    Last edited by bluejacket; 10-14-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Sanmayce said:

Thanks,
    here I want to hear your opinion on a phrase which I still don't understand (only partially), it haunts me ever since I have heard (in fact seen - it was a videoclip) for the first time in the song: Duran Duran - Come Undone.
    Also my favorite songstress Sam Obernik has a song named 'Come Undone' as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phmmqk0o_w4

AFAIK 'come undone' has some hidden/misleading meanings along with those given on dictionaries, despite my ability to track thoroughly this phrase/idiom for some reason I didn't research it yet.

I am puzzled. My question is whether 'Come undone' can substitute the 'It's beyond repair ' and 'It is irreparable', or its additional connotations might mislead?

Add-on:
    Also I don't know my use of 'beyond fine' used similarly as in 'above and beyond the line of duty' emphasizing on superiority of duty has something to do with 'beyond repair'!
    What are you waiting on?

bluejacket said:

To 'come undone', means to fall apart emotionally. It's the same as another phrase that appears elsewhere in the lyric -'to fall apart at the seams' - that is, to unravel emotionally. It's not quite the same as falling into madness, madness is a state of mind where the sufferer loses touch with reality. 'Come undone' is closer to an emotional breakdown, (in songs, it's usually caused by love or loss), where the sufferer knows exactly what's happening, but doesn't have the mental strength, or often the desire, to prevent it. You might understand the lyric more if you replace 'come undone' with 'fall apart'.

To describe yourself or someone else as 'Beyond fine' - is a way of saying, 'I am/he or she is/they are, more than fine' Meaning, 'I am.../he/she is../ they are.... very happy.' When someone says they are 'fine' they are indicating a level state of mind, neither happy nor sad; the same as 'okay'.

However to say that something is 'beyond repair', beyond doesn't mean 'more than' repair' (that makes no sense). In that case 'beyond' means the same as 'past' - that is 'past repair' , a shortened form of the phrase 'past-the-point-of-repair. In other words, irreparable; something that is so broken it can't be put back together.

To go 'above and beyond' is used to indicate an action that is much more than might be normally expected of an individual. The person usually acts selflessly; that is, not for their own benefit, but the benefit of others. For example, someone who puts themselves in danger to save others, might be said to have 'gone above-and-beyond'. If you say a person 'went above and beyond the line (or call) of duty' you're being more specific, acknowledging someone who did much more than their duty demanded.
    Last edited by bluejacket; 10-16-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Sanmayce said:

Thank you for the detailed explanations, I am fond of making cross-references (not for the sake of themselves but to grasp the full meaning or rather all nuances) so it is more than analysis for me.

I not only agree with all you have said but salute you for the thorough approach.
    I didn't ask properly.
    My initial idea was to ask whether 'It is irreparable' and 'Come undone' are interchangeable here as song name.
    I guess the irreparableness or 'to be beyond repair' is the same as 'to be come undone' but adding one more (even) stronger connotation: the irreversibility.
    Strange, 'undone' implies irreversibility but (as in the Bible's excerpt given below) "leaves" some place not to be fully such. I mean ruined vs come undone vs irreparable. That is why I ask for your opinion on this play.

As for 'beyond fine' versus 'beyond repair', wow, superb explanations.

Having not crucified yet the 'come undone' I looked for it in the Net and an interesting link poped-up:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=46490

Spending some time reading the usage (according to the Google n-gram viewer) of 'come undone' might be most useful:
    http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph...=0&smoothing=3

Looking on first some 6 hits containing 'come undone' backups all you said.

Here it is a link derived from Google n-gram viewer when search for 'come undone' is done:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=H0U...one%22&f=false
    When scrolled down a bit the next page says:
    "Even so, don't be too hard on yourself. We all come undone. None of us are perfect. Repent with a sincere heart, let it go and move on. You fell down. Okay. Get up."

And the context of the above excerpt follows:

Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
    /King James Version (KJV), Isaiah 6:5/

“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”
    /New International Version (NIV), Isaiah 6:5/

My English is forever not good I enjoy practicing it (I am too lazy to learn it directly). I appreciate your help.
    What are you waiting on?

bluejacket said:

Yes you are right, when you refer to someone as 'beyond repair' you mean someone who is in a state of existence (usually emotional turmoil) from which they can never recover. In effect they are permanently/ (forever) broken.
    To refer to someone as having 'come undone' or having 'fallen apart' does not always imply that the state (again emotional turmoil) is really permanent. It is a state from which they may still recover. In effect, they may only be temporarily broken.
    In short, it's the use of the word 'beyond' in the statement that implies permanence, not the fact that someone is broken emotionally.
    This use of beyond is specific - used in with 'to be' (to indicate a state of being). The phrase 'beyond repair' - really means 'to be beyond repair' even though the 'to be' is not present.

The biblical reference to 'undone' is different; there are in fact three parts to this complex quotation:
    1. The Statement, - 'woe is me, I am undone' It is much closer in meaning to 'Woe is me, I am exposed' (meaning my sins have been revealed or, I have been 'found-out')
    2. A listing of the sins that have just been exposed; a. 'being a man of unclean lips' (I am a lair), and b. 'I live amongst people of unclean lips', (I live amongst lairs)
    3. Finally, the reason why his sins have been revealed - 'Mine eyes I have seen the King, the Lord of Hosts'. In other words, I have acknowledged the presence of God' (Here, 'see' means 'perceive/feel'; no one really sees God.) It is, because he has felt the presence of God, that the man can see his own sins clearly, and he can list them. Furthermore, because he can see his sins, he knows full well that not only God can see him as a sinner, but the whole world too. Therefore, seeing his sins clearly, the sinner instantly regrets them - 'woe is me' is a statement of regret, like 'alas' - 'have pity on me!'
    The use of 'undone' always means something negative has been revealed, either a personal flaw (like a sin) or more often, a deception. It also coveys dismay - 'I am undone!' is similar to saying ' oh no, I am discovered!'
    Last edited by bluejacket; 10-17-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Sanmayce said:

Thanks for further clarifications.

Speaking of Isaiah's chapter 6 I checked out the whole chapter and there is some ambiguousness. All your remarks are plausible but I feel otherwise. I myself dare not to comment this very paragraph (5) , anyway my opinion differs from yours:
    The core of my understanding is somewhat non-biblical: I don't think Isaiah felt regret AND had any kind of expectations as 'have pity on me!'.
    The pure state of regret implies not but DEMANDS one not to feel like 'I regret this and that' I think the burden/dismay/shock is so devastating that one cannot feel anything else except DESPAIR ('have pity on me!' would imply there is some hope left), this is very subtle and I know what I am talking about here - if you disagree I should like to see your views. Of course the old testament prophets (AFAIK) were very zealous of reaching heaven so there is a chance Isaiah to had had hope to be forgiven, after all the angel who purges his sins acts on the God's choice/command, maybe the chosen (Isaiah was still not repaired but good to go/disseminate God's words).
    To be more clear I want to cite an old Chinese context on which my above thoughts are based: 'The good man doesn't know (his goodness)/(he is good)'.

Until last night I have had the wrong notion of 'come undone' being the 'become ruined', as you can see further below I made some research and found that 'come undone' has (only?!) one meaning.
    Thank you for walking with me it is very beneficial (at least for me) because I am modelling (amateurishly) some collocation targeted approach of mine, my hobby is to lock the usage of adjacent words and track down all the meanings in order everyone to be able to make his/her own distinctions, sadly I am on early stages of this life-long project.

At the link below:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ne#undone_2__3

undone adjective ( DISAPPOINTED )

Definition
    be undone old use
    to be without hope for the future, having experienced great disappointment, loss of money, etc.

(Definition of undone adjective (DISAPPOINTED) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

[The next I wrote last night:]

One of my favorite dictionaries 'The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language' says:

undo

verb transitive
    1. To reverse or erase; annul: impossible to undo the suffering caused by the war.
    2. To untie, disassemble, or loosen: undo a shoelace.
    3. To open (a parcel, for example); unwrap.
    a. To cause the ruin or downfall of; destroy.
    b. To throw into confusion; unsettle.
    5. Obsolete
    To solve or interpret; unravel.

verb intransitive
    To come open or unfastened.

Good but not enough, so the thesaurus(Roget's II) fulfills the gap:

undo
    verb
    1. To remove or invalidate by or as if by running a line through or wiping clean:
    annul, blot (out), cancel, cross (off or out), delete, efface, erase, expunge, obliterate, rub (out), scratch (out), strike (out), wipe (out), x (out).
    2. To cause the complete ruin or wreckage of:
    bankrupt, break down, cross up, demolish, destroy, finish, ruin, shatter, sink, smash, spoil, torpedo, wash up, wrack2, wreck.
    3. To lessen or deplete the nerve, energy, or strength of:
    attenuate, debilitate, devitalize, enervate, enfeeble, sap2, undermine, unnerve, weaken.
    4. To become or cause to become open:
    open, unclose.
    5. To lure or persuade into a sexual relationship or a sexual act:
    debauch, seduce.
    6. To free from ties or fasteners:
    disengage, loose, loosen, slip, unbind, unclasp, unfasten, unloose, unloosen, untie.

As for 'Duran Duran - Come Undone' Heritage:4b and Roget's II:3 are to be used.
    As for 'Sam Obernik - Come Undone' Heritage:2 and Roget's II:5,6 are to be used.
    As for 'Nino Ferrer - Come Undone' Heritage:4a and Roget's II:2 are to be used.

Or I am wrong!?

I differentiate between Nino Ferrer's 'it is come undone' and Duran Duran's 'when you come undone': the former means 'it is destroyed/ruined/finished/unmendable/irreparable' whereas the latter 'when you are (emotionally broken)/(fallen apart)'.
    In my view when the subject/object is a living thing (don't know how it is referred in grammar) then automatically Heritage:4a becomes Heritage:4b, as in the line/pair above.
    In other words, the literal becomes figurative.

Let us see what Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English holds:

undone

1 not fastened :
    Your zip’s undone.
    One of these buttons has come undone.
    2 not finished :
    The washing-up had been left undone.
    3 old use: destroyed and without hope :
    In the end, Othello is undone by his jealousy.

I don't like the 'and' in the third definition, it is more than an overkill: it is to be: 'that is'. Every time when I look for help from this dictionary it solidifies 'contemporary' as 'rudimentary' not as 'supplementary', at least this is my perception.
    [Observation A]: According to it 'come undone' has NOT to fall into old use in order to understand it contemporarily (definition 1) - this excludes implicitly 'destroyed and without hope' meaning.

Speaking of Duran Duran, for so many years I had the wrong notion of 'come undone' being an idiom.
    I noted that Heritage defines neither implicitly nor explicitly 'come undone' as idiomatic.
    For a long time I thought that 'come undone' had/has also an idiomatic use, has it?
    Should we assume it not being idiomatic and assuming the third definition being the correct one (later it turns out that the correct one is the first), what guarantees us (except the proper understanding of the context) that 'when you come undone' cannot denote (not connote) 1] 'when you come (with some) unfinished (thing(s))' or 2] 'when you come unfastened'?
    Or as in (from a Conan Doyle's work) 'We are undone, my good Watson!' denoting 'We are RUINED/(WITHOUT HOPE), my good Watson!' instead of 'We are UNFINISHED, my good Watson!' or 'We are UNFASTENED, my good Watson!'.

[Observation B]: Having examined several hundred sentences containing the phrases 'become/became/come/came undone' I couldn't find a single one that backups Duran Duran's 'when you come undone' being the 'when you are (emotionally broken)/(fallen apart)'.
    I mean 'come undone' behaves (ONLY!?) as 'come unfastened'.
    Or simply said my pre-final conclusion is: all phrases 'become/became/come/came undone' refer to Heritage:2,3 and Roget's II:4,6 not to Heritage:4b and Roget's II:3.
    [BOTTOM-LINE]: My current understanding of Duran Duran's 'when you come undone' is the 'when you are/become disengaged/unclasped/(free of bondages)/liberated/lost/alone/(on your own)'.
    This makes my former suggestion 'Come undone' to be a substitute of 'It is irreparable' inadequate (in fact purely WRONG).

Taking into account Observation A and Observation B, the differentiation 'when you are (emotionally broken)/(fallen apart)' is remotely correct - the correct one I believe is BOTTOM-LINE.
    As for 'Nino Ferrer - It is irreparable' a possible substitution is 'Nino Ferrer - IT IS UNDONE'.

Please, anyone who can provide a sentence/context similar to Duran Duran's to share here with us.
    What are you waiting on?

bluejacket said:

This makes my former suggestion 'Come undone' to be a substitute of 'It is irreparable' inadequate (in fact purely WRONG).

Yes - that is correct. 'Irreparable' and 'come undone' are not inter-changable. Put simply, the word 'irreparable' means permanently broken - the phrase 'come undone' means 'unloosened'; the state is neither broken, nor necessarily permanent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Definitions: Come Oxford English Dictionary
    Come: a elementary transitive verb of motion expressing movement towards the speaker or a point where he mentally places himself.
    Thesaurus definition: Undone
    undone - thrown into a state of disorganization or incoherence;
    Together: means, to fall into state of mental disorder.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: More on Duran Duran use of 'Come Undone'
    You are quite right in all your definitions of 'undone' but it's use in the Duran-Duran song is as you suggest, idiomatic - (it does not conform to standard accepted definitions). A compound phrase using definitions I gave above - remember, the phrase is referring to emotions not actual objects.
    By the way, the line in the Duran Duran song:
    'Who do you need, who do you love, When you come undone?'
    Substitute 'After' for 'When' : ( It's a subjunctive adverbial use of 'when').
    It's a question - Who do you need, who do you love, - After you[you've] come undone?

There is another song that uses 'come undone' in the same way as the Duran Duran song:
    'Strange Times' by The Black Keys from their album 'Attack and Release' 2008: (near the end of the song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8EVN...embedded#at=15

You might find 'come undone' in the new edition of the Oxford English Dictionary of Idioms - but here's a free online site you might enjoy: http://www.learn-english-today.com/i...ha-list_C.html
    You will find 'Come apart at the seams' which has the same meaning as the shorter phrase, 'come undone' If you remove, 'at the seams', 'come apart' has the same meaning as ' come undone'.
    The usage of the word 'undone' to mean 'ruined' or 'despair' has fallen out of modern speech and is now only found in older dramas and the Bible. No one today would say 'I am undone', they would say what they mean: 'I am in despair' or 'I am ruined'. In modern usage 'undone' can be actual or figurative.
    Actual]: an object can be undone i.e 'My shoelace has come undone' . (Meaning, 'My shoelace has become untied)
    Figurative/idiomatic: When you refer to a person having 'come undone', you're commenting on their emotions: 'She's come undone' - meaning she's unraveled emotionally. That is, she - or rather her emotions - have become unfastened, loosened - weakened, 'not as they should be'. This state is not necessarily permanent, though it can be. (That's why the use of 'irreparable' would be wrong.) If you wanted to indicate that a person had 'come undone' permanently then you'd say so directly; 'She's permanently come undone' Or more naturally, they'd drop the 'come' and just say, 'She's permanently undone.' If you do mean to indicate a permanent state, you could use irreparable, but as an adverb: 'she irreparably undone'. However, it's a bit of an odd choice which would sound a bit pompous to most people.

2. John Dahlback, Tommy Trash & Sam Obernik - Come Undone:
    In this case the use of 'undone' has several meanings all at the same time, (Yes 5 & 6, but 3 as well).
    1 As the song is about sex - it can mean seduce. (No 5 in your list) Although I do not think this definition would be the first any English listener would think of, it is a correct usage. I think the next two would be the first interpretations they'd put on the lyric:
    2. The female singer could be referring to her actual physical state - 'come undone' in the sense of being in a state of undress i.e. reference to clothes coming undone. As I said before this and example of actual/real definition. (No 6)
    3. A reference to the emotion she's feeling while being seduced and undressed : an emotion so strong, she can feel herself 'come undone', that is she feels her weakening and she's losing her inhibitions. in short in this case, giving in to passion.(no 3) This is an example of a figurative definition.

3: The Biblical use of 'undone':
    I am sorry if I wasn't clear the first time, but my reading of self pity came from the opening phrase, 'Woe is me' not the' I am undone.' 'Woe is me' is an expression of emotion meaning regret: I am distressed; sad; grieved. This is used to add emphasis to the following 'I am undone' http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/woe-is-me.html I didn't mean to imply he was not also despairing.

4: About the old use: 'destroyed and without hope' :
    Yes, in a way it's overkill - in the strict sense, by definition, if you are destroyed, you can have no hope. But in this usage, it doesn't mean destroyed in the sense of 'no longer in existence.' Here, 'destroyed' is not actual, again it's figurative of emotion: mentally beaten down. A state of being thoroughly defeated, a state of fatigue, exhaustion, no state of awareness, lack of strength. In other words, a phrase used to describe a person so mentally beaten down that they do not believe there is any hope left for them.
    Last edited by bluejacket; 10-21-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Sanmayce said:

Thanks again a lot bluejacket,
    everything you wrote is nice and straight.

Good verses, but Duran Duran's I think is almost idiomatic while this usage has a loose context:
    Sadie, dry your tears
    I will be the one
    To pull you through the mirror
    Before you come, before you come undone

A good site with several interesting links as:
    http://www.word-detective.com/2008/08/14/sleep-tight/
    One of my favorite songs bears that name:
    Sarah Brightman - Sleep Tight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_dYfQOWVw
    My (and maman's too) dog was dying and "by chance" this song came to my hearing and almost 2 years later it still hurts remembering the intensive sadness boosted by this "say goodbye" or rather 'dying song'. I mention it because the usage of one phrase could be so powerful that to establish not only a new definition/meaning but to create a totally self-sufficient and unique context. I still believe that Duran Duran's 'Come Undone' did create such a context (my BOTTOM-LINE) or something like: to become alone without support/hope, which differs not a lot from the figurative usage but has clear emphasis on being apart not only loosen.

For example as a child I was fond of 'Pif' a french comic magazine, from there I learned and liked the Hercules saying 'Maman', thus my use of 'mom' became 'maman'. Another example: I like very much the Leprechaun movies, where 'me gold' is used instead of 'my gold' to emphasize how dear it is, similar to the LOTR Gollum's 'my precious' but less appealing.

At one of links given by you: http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...sages/486.html
    I found that some girl asked the same question, the answer is good also.

My main point is that the most vivid way of learning/understanding is to find a VIVID context and to spot/lock/feel the phrases in it. Not merely sentences containing the phrase. I see this contextlessness (lack of contexts) as the main drawback in all dictionaries, therefore I put the contexts/paragraphs and song-lyrics in particular before manuals/dictionaries when it comes which one to address first.

Add-on:
    bluejacket could you share your view on what role plays a French phrase in another superb hit:
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/ly...rs-du-mal.html
    Last edited by Sanmayce; 10-23-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    What are you waiting on?