An old verse of W.Shakespeare

Thread: An old verse of W.Shakespeare

Tags: None
  1. stanislav said:

Question An old verse of W.Shakespeare

Hi!
    I've come across one little verse of W.Shakespeare dedicated to his wife Anna Hathaway. It's called "With a ring of serpent, a gift to his beloved Anna,from W.S. I'm giving two refrains:

Within this golden circlet's space,
    Thy ivory fingers formed to clip
    How many tender vows have place
    Sealed at the alter on my lip

Then,as thy finger it shall press,
    O! Be its magic and confined
    And let the sacred hoop no less
    Have force thy faithful heart to bind

Please,can anyone explain what does it mean "golden circlet's space"? Is that a ring that W.Shakespeare gave to Anna or is it the altar of the church usually having a round form?
    And what does it mean "thy ivory fingers formed to clip"? Why figers and not a finger? Did Anna interlace her fingers and prayed or may be she embraced W.S.?
    I'd thankful to anyone who can help to understand the meaning of the lines!

partizanka said:

Hi stanislav...

"Golden circlet's space" - in this poem, I think it means the ring, but really it could be poetically speaking about many things- the part of a church, their love, the planet (i.e. under the sun- the sun as the golden circlet) etc...
    "thy ivory fingers formed to clip" - I think also that this is the old English meaning of "clip"- "to embrace", as though her fingers close around him, or the ring, or the vows, or embrace each other to pray (just as you said). One finger alone can not really embrace.

What I thought first was that he was saying the circlet (ring) was trimmed to fit the form of her white fingers...but then I found the other meaning of clip.

But I think with such a poem, it is really up to the reader to interpret the meaning.

I don't know if this helped you at all. Good luck.
    Last edited by partizanka; 11-26-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: I keep thinking about it