SOLVED: Female vocalist, pre June 1997 been looking for it for 10 years now!

Thread: SOLVED: Female vocalist, pre June 1997 been looking for it for 10 years now!

Tags: None
  1. tourleadersi said:

Default SOLVED: Female vocalist, pre June 1997 been looking for it for 10 years now!

Really appreciate any help on this one. Working in Egypt in June of 1997 when a backpacker gave me a mix tape of hers as a farewell present. No details of the songs, just the cassette which I played to death as I didnt have any other tapes at the time. Have tracked down all songs but one.

Sounds like the singer from the Cocteau Twins, very feminine voice. Havent heard the song for over 10 years, but the lyrics went something like -

Hey hey hey
    I was sitting on the edge of the clearest blue sea,
    thinking of someone who was passing by me
    share my innermost thoughts
    of personal .........
    turn it into tragedy

times really alert, oooh hooo, oooo hooo.

This song was more 'mainstream' than the Cocteau Twins, but I have searched their entire catalogue just to be sure. More like Dubstar (checked already), St Etienne (checked) so am really at my wits end with this one. Like I said, I was given the cassette in June of 1997 so it has to have been recorded prior to that. More likely 1996 or before as she had been travelling with that tape for quite sometime when I met her. I lost the tape and her contact details a couple of years later.

Thanks for any wisdom

cbwillallen25 said:

Maybe this can help, if it's no problem what are the other songs from that mixtape that you identified? The reason I asked is because I had a mixtape made for my family in the early 90's, when I was a little kid. Eventually I found the names of pretty much all the songs if I recall. One gave me quite a bit of trouble. I ended up posting it here. I found it because someone elsewhere was searching for it. I tried a few songs from the cassette, but it didn't work for that particular song.

The point is, there is a chance that if you do a combined search with a group of songs from that mixtape, maybe you may get a list of songs from a certain album or cassette.

3. tourleadersi said:

Wink

Thanks and thats a great idea but unfortunately it was one of those tapes that are made up by people at home from a selection of different albums, therefore it is unique. I can tell you the other artists on the tape so you can get an idea of the tracks but it wont help doing a generic search:

Elastica - Great Things
    B52's - Dead Beat Club
    Dubstar - Not So Manic Now
    xxxx The song I am looking for xxxx
    James - Sometimes
    Pogues - Tuesday Morning
    Cocteau Twins - Angeline

Many thanks for the time you took to try and help me.

cbwillallen25 said:

You're welcome anytime. That is quite a challenge. However, not at all impossible.

5. clairerebecs said:

Oh my god did you find it? I have been looking for this song for a long time too also had it on a mixtape but earlier I think, maybe 1994. I remember lyrics as

Hey hey hey hey
    Hey hey hey hey
    Sitting by the edge of the clearest blue sea
    Thinking that someone could be passing by me
    And I'm telling them of my innermost thoughts
    Wishing this world wasn't wrapped up being all sorts of
    Complicated and terminal emotions turning into tragedy
    Like some kind of ---------
    -------- to be fully alert
    Oooo hooo Oooo hooo etc
    Hey hey hey hey etc

Then she sort of wails what I think is ' daydream '. A bit Bjork ish.

In your mind it's so easy to be happy eternally-ee Oooo hoo
    I believe that in the end we can be -------

Need to download this song!! Who is it by?!
    Last edited by clairerebecs; 07-18-2014 at 11:01 PM.

6. tourleadersi said:

Default Your Mission is Now Complete.

Hi!

Sorry it took so long to reply, didnt pick up on the message for a few days.

Yes, I did find the song in the end, through Reddit where amazingly some awesome people got onto the case for me and one found the lines 'Sitting by the edge of the clearest blue sea, thinking of someone could be passing by me' that was written next to a photo someone had posted of a beach on Pinterest. The user hadnt signed in for a couple of years but another redditor tracked her down to a Twitter account and I got in touch. She told me it was a group called 'Back to the Planet' and the song indeed was called 'Daydream'.

Here are a couple of links to it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSeO...z-J9j&index=21

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uvd...z-J9j&index=60

The problem is the group were kinda like a new age group that only made up a cassette of the song. I did find a torrent a while back but the seeder deleted it before it could download.

Ooops, just found it here on Amazon. I dont like in the UK so not much point ordering it..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-Soul-Co.../dp/B000026FHS

If you manage to find a decent copy I would be really grateful if you could tell me from where and how...

Good luck, its an awesome song and was such a relief when my quest was completed! I hope that you too now can find closure now with a copy of Daydream blasting out for all to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by clairerebecs View Post
    Oh my god did you find it? I have been looking for this song for a long time too also had it on a mixtape but earlier I think, maybe 1994. I remember lyrics as

Hey hey hey hey
    Hey hey hey hey
    Sitting by the edge of the clearest blue sea
    Thinking that someone could be passing by me
    And I'm telling them of my innermost thoughts
    Wishing this world wasn't wrapped up being all sorts of
    Complicated and terminal emotions turning into tragedy
    Like some kind of ---------
    -------- to be fully alert
    Oooo hooo Oooo hooo etc
    Hey hey hey hey etc

Then she sort of wails what I think is ' daydream '. A bit Bjork ish.

In your mind it's so easy to be happy eternally-ee Oooo hoo
    I believe that in the end we can be -------

Need to download this song!! Who is it by?!

7. BlueNileFan said:

Interesting story this post. You two, the band, the politics...
    Good news, the band was active as of February2014 and has a site and here both cassettes (Earzone Friendly Cassette EP -1990 (Daydream on Side A) and Warning the Public Cassette LP – 1991 (Daydream on Side B)) are available to all as mp3 along with images of the jackets.
    They are also on Soundcloud with live performances of Daydream.
    Enjoy.