Haiku

Thread: Haiku

Tags: None
  1. Guest said:

Have you sampled their cuisine sur place though? And I'm not talking about restaurant offerings but what Thais eat themselves. SE Asians generally eat some of the weirdest foods on the planet IMHO. Thailand has several species of large beetles (2 inches and upwards) with wings and the flying skills of a stuffed Oliver Hardy on a late Friday night that come buzzing in whenever there's heavy rain, usually within an hour of sunset. They fly towards any source of light you may have left on, and usually keep missing it by ten yards or so, crashing heavily against walls instead, before dropping off and crawling to a corner to die. I asked my landlady about them and she pulled up one, "aaah, these, vely good in a soup, stew, mmm!" In general, they take the craziest spices you could never imagine, throw them together with a hundred forbidden chemicals and marinate the hell out of every thing that crawls, flies, swims or flollops, fry it, dry it, mai mai it and eat it with gusto. The stank alone reminds you more of a morgue than of a kitchen.

It took me several weeks of explaining before they realised that I like my fruits SWEET and ripe. "Aaaa! [staring at me in wonder] But why?" What a mystery. Why, indeed, don't I like my mangoes, durians, champadaks, dragon fruits, cherimoyas, mangosteens, rambutans, longans, litchis and so on hard, unripe, bitter and eye-wateringly sour? What a strange farang.

No, Thai tastebuds love all things sour, crazy spicy, pet pet and just plain weird. The upside is, they sold me their home-grown mangoes for a penny because they didn't think they were worth anything (only the single most divine taste experience granted unto men by gods, save perhaps a perfectly ripe Khadum Thong durian)

VivaPalestina said:

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraInside View Post
    I'm on a haiku hiatus, though you never know when something pops out. I could use a couple of Noors spurring me on, lol
    The world couldn't cope with a couple of me

Shine all day,
    crumbling diamonds
    ancient eyes

Doug Denslowe said:

Ancient eyes
    Tell no lies
    A burger,Coke and a side of fries

(sorry Frankie,I couldn't help myself)

4. Guest said:

in your arms
    I miss
    your arms

5. Guest said:

a bleeding Valentine's
    I send
    with no recipient

may it not
    head
    for Paphos

VivaPalestina said:

may it not
    head
    for Paphos

I think I would like to request a history/general knowledge (?) lesson here

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Ancient eyes
    Tell no lies
    A burger,Coke and a side of fries

(sorry Frankie,I couldn't help myself)
    OMGoodness . . .

Frankie Jasmine said:

a bleeding Valentine's
    I send
    with no recipient

may it not
    head
    for Paphos

Funny, OI! Do you fear the Greek love goddess queen?? Or her husbands?

9. Guest said:

It isn't really funny, Frankie... Though I see how it might be interpreted as such, no offence taken

Paphos is where Pygmalion lived. Since I want to love but have no one to love, I send a bleeding Valentine's but it has no recipient. I hope it will not head for Paphos = that I will not create someone in my head to love. I had the idea after watching 'Ruby Sparks' (pretty good BTW), which in turn was inspired by Pygmalion: a lonely, introverted writer creates a character he falls in love with, and the character becomes real. I create people and things in my head all the time, or rather, they create themselves unless I actively suppress my mind, and I would rather find a real love than be like Pygmalion (creating a "sculpture" I fall in love with).

In other words, I wish for love, and I hope it will be a real person, not something I make up in my head. The problem is, real people are complicated (or maybe I am ) whereas the things and people in my head are whatever I wish them to be...

Frankie Jasmine said:

It isn't really funny, Frankie... Though I see how it might be interpreted as such, no offence taken

Paphos is where Pygmalion lived. Since I want to love but have no one to love, I send a bleeding Valentine's but it has no recipient. I hope it will not head for Paphos = that I will not create someone in my head to love. ...

I am so glad you did not take offense. I thought you were referring to the Greek Goddess of Love, Aphrodite! So sorry. You are right . . . your true explanation is not funny. Thank you so much for revealing yourself so openly. And for excusing my wrong presumption!

11. Guest said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    I am so glad you did not take offense. I thought you were referring to the Greek Goddess of Love, Aphrodite! So sorry. You are right . . . your true explanation is not funny. Thank you so much for revealing yourself so openly. And for excusing my wrong presumption!
    I'm actively trying to get closer to my emotions now, I've noticed I tend to write "from a distance". I would like to get closer to their rawness...

Frankie Jasmine said:

Default Dedicated to OrchestraInside

A symbolic heart
    Before my eyes, did not understand
    The heart was real

VivaPalestina said:

Do you not think
    All these hearts simply
    light the forum?

I should have asked way before for an avatar

14. Guest said:

Thanks, Frankie I am deeply touched. My 'heart' avatar is a cut of a deep-space photograph BTW...

Frankie Jasmine said:

Thanks, Frankie I am deeply touched. My 'heart' avatar is a cut of a deep-space photograph BTW...
    So I noticed, my friend. Beautiful.

amaryn said:

yes the heart was real
    just for a moment it seemed
    the mind was astray

17. Guest said:

Stabat mater:
    from her loins
    life poured forth.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Mind astray
    Eyes and ears functioned as though