Pumpkinhead

Thread: Pumpkinhead

Tags: doug denslowe song, evil incarnate, pumpkinhead
  1. Peter Both said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    To be perfectly honest,I never even thought about the music to this.It probably would lent itself to "movie background"type stuff.You know,erie,free form background music.It has such a visual image to it,I only saw what I wrote;the Pumpkinhead character approaching.
    How about a demented version of 'Shakin' All Over' by Johnny Kidd & the Pirates/ The Guess Who?

Doug Denslowe said:

I want to thank Jessie,Frankie and Peter for giving replies on Pumpkinhead.I've been told.......you'll be spared........next time.......he comes.........

3. MrGore said:

doug, is there anywhere i could listen to audio versions of some of your songs?

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by MrGore View Post
    doug, is there anywhere i could listen to audio versions of some of your songs?
    Not at this time.Believe me,I'm trying but it's a long,slow process.I'll let you know when I get something on YouTube.

Doug Denslowe said:

Since I'm too lazy to post anything new.........I thought I'd put this up for another look............I got the idea while watching Evil Dead.Enjoy!

6. Peter Both said:

How about this music? It is used as the soundtrack for Stephen King's The Mist. This music gives me the chills, it's the scariest music I have ever heard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpMNXEY_tio

jessie zuppo said:

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Since I'm too lazy to post anything new.........I thought I'd put this up for another look............I got the idea while watching Evil Dead.Enjoy!
    After re-reading this, it's becoming more and more clear to me that you DO PUT YOURSELF and your feelings into your lyrics. Some may say humor is used as a mask for dormant emotional pain or baggage. However, your humor is simply YOU being YOU.

I really like this one...you've incorporated yourself and allowed yourself to be vulnerable to critique of this piece. Even if you don't necessarily use "I" statements- I'm able to uncover bits and pieces of Dougie all throughout the song...it's really quite unique and rare to have mastered such a difficult style of writing.

I feel that many people interpreted this as strictly a "scary" song. I did not find it that way at all...I was focused on your beats and rhythms, your articulation and your ability to fine tune any piece to make it have that little 'zing'!

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Both View Post
    How about this music? It is used as the soundtrack for Stephen King's The Mist. This music gives me the chills, it's the scariest music I have ever heard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpMNXEY_tio
    I checked out the link...........great stuff.Could you imagine Pumpkinhead somehow being sung or recited with this music?
    I'll have to give this much more time.Thanks Peter,you always give food for thought.

Doug Denslowe said:

Re:Jessie.......I'm not sure how you came to your conclusions from this song lyric.I do thank you for your well thought out critique.I do appreciate it.

10. Peter Both said:

I think Pumpkinhead is one of those songs people can enjoy listening to with a smile on their face. But when they get home, they feel the need to check if there is nothing under their bed. My initial musical idea was a rock-a billy song like 'Shakin' All Over'. Maybe a combination of these extremes does the song really justice: the celestial, eerie stuff with a dirty rock n'roll twist. An intro with just toms an organ and chant-like female voices. Then a guitar/bass riff crashes in.

Doug Denslowe said:

@Peter Both:After reading your comment,I immediately thought of "Old Man River" off the Truth Album by the Jeff Beck Group.The timpanis (played by Keith Moon)and Jeff Beck's searing guitar riffs,along with a Rod Steward that this generation will never know........is this anything like what you had in mind?

12. Peter Both said:

Yes, that one is spot on! Maybe the first two verses can be sung in the style of "Old Man River" (the last line whispered) and then something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQbv_l-OJA

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Both View Post
    Yes, that one is spot on! Maybe the first two verses can be sung in the style of "Old Man River" (the last line whispered) and then something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQbv_l-OJA
    I only wish that I had a band that could play in (Holland?)and I could come over and get your ideas in person!You have "read" my song lyrics better than anything I could have hoped for!Thanks Peter,the Strays are one of my favorites of all time.The song is perfect for Pumpkinhead.

14. meli2235 said:

Its cool! I like it! My boyfriend says that it really keeps your attention, has nice imagery, and has good pace.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by meli2235 View Post
    Its cool! I like it! My boyfriend says that it really keeps your attention, has nice imagery, and has good pace.
    Thanks......and since I'm watching Pumpkinhead II:Blood Wings,I thought I reply!

16. coolhand92 said:

One of the local breweries in my neck of the woods brews a fall beer called "pumpkinhead"...

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand92 View Post
    One of the local breweries in my neck of the woods brews a fall beer called "pumpkinhead"...
    I'm Glad to know that.........!Thanks for replying.