Not even Ma Bell
    Guess it's over
    Time will tell

Because,time like people
    They come and go
    Why does my heart
    Hurt me so

12/2001
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 04-15-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Date changed to reflect new information

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks for all the kind words

Frankie Jasmine said:

Well, Doug, the lyrics are simple. That doesn't mean the song is necessarily simple. You mentioned Chuck Berry--great style. As I read it, I was thinking an unusual melody, like "I Blame Coco"-style to bring a lot of life to it. (That's because I'm a bit into her/her group right now, though. And you can't get any more life than Chuck Berry, anyway, . . . Can you?)

4. Wilen1980 said:

Default Wow!

it's incredibly cool! You have a real talent! You should show your work to someone else except this forum! I wish you luck!
    http://www.themodernman.com/how_to_talk_to_women.html

Doug Denslowe said:

Wilen1980;I'm flattered that you joined this site simply to post this reply to me.I've been waiting to hear back from you,to no avail.Again,I wish I'd gotten some more feedback from you,but......beggars can't be choosers!(There's a good line for a song)Thanks,again,even though I know you'll see never this.(Please,prove me wrong!!)
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-26-2012 at 10:46 PM.

amaryn said:

Doug, first of all: what means Ma Bell? I am not familiar with it.

I know short relationships are one of your themes; you can write as many as you like, Doug: you always find new ways to put them into words and that's a achievement per sé.
    Do you sometimes start writing these songs from a drummers'point of view? That's interesting to know.(I refer to #1) Drums or bass often make a band stand or fall.
    (well I'm a loner or with my guitarpal mostly) I used to sing in bands though, so I know how important they are.

Doug Denslowe said:

@Amaryn:
    Ma Bell is slang for "telephone".Bell used to have a monopoly on the all phone lines and companies.Reagan broke it up now there's competion among the many companies.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 06-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.

amaryn said:

Thanks for the info! Remains the question about drumming though. I'd really want to know, as your songs seem to succeed so very well
    in creating the necessary beat-patterns....

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    Thanks for the info! Remains the question about drumming though. I'd really want to know, as your songs seem to succeed so very well
    in creating the necessary beat-patterns....
    I often hear the bass lines,which I pattern my beats for/to.Once I write the words,I add or subtract them so they fit the rhythm.I play both the rhythm and melody on my drums,a unique approach,so I've been told.

jessie zuppo said:

Awwww..would that 'girl' be ME? These songs are making me feel very badly btw, but, regardless, they are indeed beautiful...I love the chorus..it's simple, yet powerful and your message of a broken heart is heard loud and clear..def. a slow-paced song would match these lyrics.

I LOVE that pain inspires creativity in you, but it would be awesome to see you write about something else (mostly b/c you've mastered the 'broken heart' with a myriad of songs) and b/c I believe that you really have it in you- but, far be it for me, someone who has chronic 'writer's block' tell a gifted writer what to write about. Writing comes from the heart and it's a therapeutic and courageous to put out there and share with the world.

your ex-roomate (lol)
    Jess

jessie zuppo said:

Quote Originally Posted by Wilen1980 View Post
    it's incredibly cool! You have a real talent! You should show your work to someone else except this forum! I wish you luck!
    I just wanted to say that I completely agree with this post- you should try to get these lyrics out there

Doug Denslowe said:

Yes....another Jessie song.This was written during the time you went to Georgia to visit your mom.I was knocking out songs fairly regularly.When your hurt or broken hearted,it seems to bring out the best material.

amaryn said:

Man o man- What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted... Tamla Motown. Just wonderful!

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    Man o man- What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted... Tamla Motown. Just wonderful!
    Thanks!